Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommend A Place For A Visit

RiderOnTheStorm

thought this might be good place for people to ask about recommendations for places when going on a break / visit / holiday in Ireland.

Places to go. Pubs to avoid. Sights to take in. Trails to get lost on. A weekend away in Roscommon? A fortnight in Cobh? Is Dublin actually representative of the Irish craic?

Ask for specific tips, or just give overall impression .... this is the place for it

thought this might be good place for people to ask about recommendations for places when going on a break / visit / holiday in Ireland.

Places to go. Pubs to avoid. Sights to take in. Trails to get lost on. A weekend away in Roscommon? A fortnight in Cobh? Is Dublin actually representative of the Irish craic?

Ask for specific tips, or just give overall impression .... this is the place for it
Depends what you're looking for. If it was me, I'd start in Dingle and work up the West coast. Check out The Wild Atlantic Way.
I lived in Roscommon for 20+ years. It's lovely, but again, it depends what you're looking for. I'd prefer the West coast if I was time limited.

Galway. Start in the city and ask the nicest people in the world what they recommend.

my tips, in no particular order:

Newgrange - older than the pyramids
Waterville - charlie chaplin used to fish for trout here & is still fondly remembered
Kilkenny - only inland city in Ireland
Ballybunion - 2 great golf courses and was once the only place that had a full size statue of Bill Clinton
Ring of Kerry - obv's
Ballyferriter - launch spot for Skellig Isles (where some star wars scenes shot)
Castlegregory - old time village & great place to go scuba diving too
Glasnevin cemetery - home to 1.5 million
Wild Atlantic Way - just follow it around and stop when something catches your eye

Sneem.... County Kerry. Stunning views of the Atlantic. The drive there is unbelievably beautiful...on a sunny day.
Also Castlecove.. stunning views on white strand. These are less visited than say Dingle and are so much more wild.
Ballinskelligs....and over to the Blasket Islands. Again..stunning.
South West Kerry is truly a little hit of heaven.

But for the best scenery in Ireland ...imo...you need to go to Donegal. The drive up the west coast along the Wild Atlantic Way is well worth it. Stopping off at Spanish Point in Clare...An Spideal in Galway...and through Connemara with a quick trip to Maam Cross.. then over to Sligo and Mayo for some stunning scenery.and on up to Donegal. A Visit the Donegal Glenveagh National Park. It's really stunning.. you can park up and cycle the park or walk. Or get the minibus tours that go every half hour. We'll worth a visit.

The west coast of Ireland is imo the best part of Ireland.

Sneem.... County Kerry. Stunning views of the Atlantic. The drive there is unbelievably beautiful...on a sunny day.
Also Castlecove.. stunning views on white strand. These are less visited than say Dingle and are so much more wild.
Ballinskelligs....and over to the Blasket Islands. Again..stunning.
South West Kerry is truly a little hit of heaven.

But for the best scenery in Ireland ...imo...you need to go to Donegal. The drive up the west coast along the Wild Atlantic Way is well worth it. Stopping off at Spanish Point in Clare...An Spideal in Galway...and through Connemara with a quick trip to Maam Cross.. then over to Sligo and Mayo for some stunning scenery.and on up to Donegal. A Visit the Donegal Glenveagh National Park. It's really stunning.. you can park up and cycle the park or walk. Or get the minibus tours that go every half hour. We'll worth a visit.

The west coast of Ireland is imo the best part of Ireland.

Welcome back. :)

Belfast for the pubs, the grand buildings, the people.

West Cork and Kerry for the magnificent scenery.

Dublin for the trad at the Cobblestone pub.

Did my rescue diver training there.

It is great diving. Preferred it to the canary islands. Plus years of swimming at banana means I really didn't mind the temperature and wasn't tempted to drysuit. I could have done it in a shortie
... an ex student of Ronnie, I see! He was still there last year, sitting in the sunshine and directing the world.

PS i love ballybunion (my adopted home - lived there for years) so didnt want to say too much about it in case I would seem biased..... which of course I am!

Back
Top Bottom