Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommend a Campervan Site in Scotland over Christmas

RiderOnTheStorm

hi all,

can anyone recommend a campervan camping site in Scotland that is open over Christmas?

Thinking of a few family members going up there (we are in Birmingham) with a couple of campers in order to get a bit of snow (white christmas) and see a few sights.

Would need somewhere not too of the way (need to be near a decent sized town), a site with toilets & showers, and somewhere where we can explore & go for walks & things to do (weather permitting)

thx in advance

hi all,

can anyone recommend a campervan camping site in Scotland that is open over Christmas?

Thinking of a few family members going up there (we are in Birmingham) with a couple of campers in order to get a bit of snow (white christmas) and see a few sights.

Would need somewhere not too of the way (need to be near a decent sized town), a site with toilets & showers, and somewhere where we can explore & go for walks & things to do (weather permitting)

thx in advance

You know it’s going to be daylight for about 20 minutes up there at Christmas?

My first though for caravaning where you’d get snow is near Aviemore.

Try Grantown On Spey Caravan Park

Seafield Avenue, Grantown On Spey, Highlands PH26 3JQ

An awful lot of touring sites are closed over Christmas - Planning/operating licence conditions generally stipulate a one month closure for virtually all non-residential sites, so you are looking at sites that have been established a long time that get round it.

Grantown on Spey is a good suggestion. A fine traditional town with good choices in its area and although not as attractive, Aviemore is one of the places with a year-round popularity, plenty of choices and the Rothiemurchus site is right beside it. The Rothiemurchus Forest itself is a magical and wildlife-rich survival of the ancient Caledonian Forest with lots of walks, as is nearby Glen More, which has some fantastic easy walks that are mostly viable even in winter.

Uig on Skye is another site I know is open all year that has good facilities and a bit of a mad pub nearby, plus good hotels for meals etc near at hand. Portree is a short drive away by the main road.

You need to be aware that you cannot guarantee snow anywhere in Scotland these days but of the places most likely, Aviemore/Grantown are amongst the spots most likely. The worst winter weather tends not to arrive till well after Hogmanay now, often continuing through till April.

The Grantown/Aviemore/Upper Steathspey area is probably the best provided for family holidays at that time though and there will be quite a bit open to cater for all ages, even at that time of year.

Oban/Argyll also has a fair bit to offer but IME, it tends to lean more towards the weekend break market in the winter.

Pitlochry/Blair Atholl might have some options but there might be less to enthrall younger ones at that time.

i do like the look of Isle of Skye !!! Had ruled out the islands but didnt realise there was a bridge to Skye ! Maybe take a day trip there if we do find somewhere for the week.

Cairngorms looks great.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions ..... nothing decided yet, so please add if you think of more . :)

An awful lot of touring sites are closed over Christmas - Planning/operating licence conditions generally stipulate a one month closure for virtually all non-residential sites, so you are looking at sites that have been established a long time that get round it.

Grantown on Spey is a good suggestion. A fine traditional town with good choices in its area and although not as attractive, Aviemore is one of the places with a year-round popularity, plenty of choices and the Rothiemurchus site is right beside it. The Rothiemurchus Forest itself is a magical and wildlife-rich survival of the ancient Caledonian Forest with lots of walks, as is nearby Glen More, which has some fantastic easy walks that are mostly viable even in winter.

Uig on Skye is another site I know is open all year that has good facilities and a bit of a mad pub nearby, plus good hotels for meals etc near at hand. Portree is a short drive away by the main road.

You need to be aware that you cannot guarantee snow anywhere in Scotland these days but of the places most likely, Aviemore/Grantown are amongst the spots most likely. The worst winter weather tends not to arrive till well after Hogmanay now, often continuing through till April.
You've said everything I would say, there's the best walking and cycling around Aviemore especially, and the chalets and campsites are open for Xmas. ❤️🙏

The lack of fresh skiing snow nowadays is a depressing thing, it really signals the fucked up climate. I hate that about it.

Only thing with the chalets/other accommodation around Aviemore at Christmas is that IME they are nearly always booked-out by families on a regular/year-on basis. It can be difficult to get booked for a one-off visit.

Totally, my dad used to run a guest-house in Aviemore, possibly the worst guest-house in known Christendom, and he would never to fail to fill it with Australians and Kiwis in both seasons - just an illustration of how in demand these places can be. The guy had 18 cats, it was not an ideal place for a guest house.

Unless you really, really like cats.

Back
Top Bottom