Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rebuilding of Blackfriars Thameslink station...end in sight?

Now the reflection on *that* side of 20 Fenchurch Street (the walkie talkie) is much better. I love the way it makes a miniature picture of the sunset due to its convex shape :)
I hate the way the whole stupid building is just an embarrassment for London.

I've posted up some photos of the completed station which looks rather splendid in its sci-fi blue glow.

london-blackfriars-bridge-02.jpg

london-blackfriars-bridge-07.jpg

london-blackfriars-bridge-10.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/blog/photos-...idge-the-worlds-largest-solar-powered-bridge/

I agree. Reminds me of a Subarus Impreza with dropped suspension and counter-rotating hubcaps.

Pretty good station otherwise, though. Turned out better that I thought, especially the roof.

Got the tube from Blackfriars Station a couple of weekends ago, first time I've been there since the work - I like it - and i like the blue lights:)

The one ting I don't like about the new station is that when I come out of the Globe or Tate, and I enter through the south entrance, a lot of the time the train is already in the platform, but it's only a 4 coach train, and it's parked right at the far end of the station! This means I have to run the entire length of the station to catch it! I don't know why they can't stop 4 coach trains in the middle of the platform?

Apart from that, the station is very nice.

The only idiot annoying thing is that you have to go out of gate from the tube, then in thru another for the train
Why no lift from tube to train platform?

The only idiot annoying thing is that you have to go out of gate from the tube, then in thru another for the train
Why no lift from tube to train platform?
Because the Tube station is the Tube station, and the NR station is the NR station. Different things, with different fares and different tickets.

And how are you going to have a lift from the Tube to the NR platforms when there are multiple platforms?

Because the Tube station is the Tube station, and the NR station is the NR station. Different things, with different fares and different tickets.

And how are you going to have a lift from the Tube to the NR platforms when there are multiple platforms?
At Farringdon you can go between tube and NR without going through the barriers, can't you?

At Farringdon you can go between tube and NR without going through the barriers, can't you?
You're right. But the platforms are next to each other, where as at Blackfriars they are on different levels and entirely separate, and it's always been like that at BF, and is at most other stations where one can interchange between NR and Tube I believe.

Yep. Wracking my brain for other examples.
Queens Park for example, or Ealing Broadway, or Stratford.............
You're right. But the platforms are next to each other, where as at Blackfriars they are on different levels and entirely separate, and it's always been like that at BF, and is at most other stations where one can interchange between NR and Tube I believe.
It would have been possible to have lifts connect the two levels - there is a lot of space at the Northern end of the NR platforms

Yep. Wracking my brain for other examples.
Kentish Town, Northern Line and NR served by the same ticket barriers in a shared station
This is the last, wont post any more, promise:D

OOOps, Highbury and Islington

Last edited:
Depends on whether there's actually a clear vertical corridor to thread a lift shaft through from tube to concourse.

Also Old Street, Whitechapel, Canada Water...
Whitechapel and Canada Water don't have NR services.....well technically they do, but it is London Overground which is TfL. Not the same as "proper" NR services though.

Whitechapel and Canada Water don't have NR services.....well technically they do, but it is London Overground which is TfL. Not the same as "proper" NR services though.
There are lots of stations that have proper NR and TfL overground though.

The point is, having the two ticketing systems doesn't prevent a station sharing ticket barriers.

In the case of Blackfriars my guess as to why there's no direct lift is that it just wouldn't be possible physially.

Good point

Wimbledon has proper national rail, London underground and the tram

There are lots of stations that have proper NR and TfL overground though.

The point is, having the two ticketing systems doesn't prevent a station sharing ticket barriers.

In the case of Blackfriars my guess as to why there's no direct lift is that it just wouldn't be possible physially.

The tube platforms are quite a bit north of the end of the mainline platforms by which point the high level tracks have to converge to get onto the bridge over Queen Victoria Street.

Back
Top Bottom