Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Really cheap Windows laptop: thoughts please?

editor if your around. Can you give your opinion on this please? Cheers.

fwiw, I have a E6620 sitting at home, faster processor. Bit closer to the Lenovo you've posted spec wise. I swapped out the hard drive for an SSD and it's fine. I only really use it as a jump client for remote access to my home network when I'm away.

Ultimately, knowing if something is a good deal or not, depends on what you intend to use the device for?

fwiw, I have a E6620 sitting at home, faster processor. Bit closer to the Lenovo you've posted spec wise. I swapped out the hard drive for an SSD and it's fine. I only really use it as a jump client for remote access to my home network when I'm away.

Ultimately, knowing if something is a good deal or not, depends on what you intend to use the device for?
Really just general browsing and paint shop pro.

Paint shop Pro is still a thing! :D

Then make sure you are in the recommend specs (not minimum) for it:
  • Windows 10 (recommended version 1809 or later), Windows 8/8.1, Windows 7 with the latest service pack (64-bit editions)*
  • For virtualization: Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2019.
  • Intel® Celeron G series or AMD® Phenom II and above (Intel® i5 or AMD® Ryzen series and above recommended for Artificial Intelligence feature support)
  • 4GB of RAM (8 GB recommended for Artificial Intelligence feature support)
  • 3GB of available hard-disk space required (4GB recommended)
  • 1366 x 768 display resolution (1920 x 1080 display resolution @100 DPI recommended). Up to 250 DPI supported with appropriate resolution display.
  • DirectX 10 or higher compatible video adapter with the latest driver (DirectX 12 compatible discrete VGA card recommended for GPU acceleration)
  • Internet Explorer version 10 or higher
  • Internet connection required for online features and tutorial videos
To simplify that. An Intel i5 or AMD Ryzen Processor, 8GB of RAM, a 1080p Full HD screen res and an SSD of at the very least 120GB, try and strectch to 256GB to allow yourself head room for other apps and Windows Updates.

Paint shop Pro is still a thing! :D

Then make sure you are in the recommend specs (not minimum) for it:
  • Windows 10 (recommended version 1809 or later), Windows 8/8.1, Windows 7 with the latest service pack (64-bit editions)*
  • For virtualization: Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2019.
  • Intel® Celeron G series or AMD® Phenom II and above (Intel® i5 or AMD® Ryzen series and above recommended for Artificial Intelligence feature support)
  • 4GB of RAM (8 GB recommended for Artificial Intelligence feature support)
  • 3GB of available hard-disk space required (4GB recommended)
  • 1366 x 768 display resolution (1920 x 1080 display resolution @100 DPI recommended). Up to 250 DPI supported with appropriate resolution display.
  • DirectX 10 or higher compatible video adapter with the latest driver (DirectX 12 compatible discrete VGA card recommended for GPU acceleration)
  • Internet Explorer version 10 or higher
  • Internet connection required for online features and tutorial videos
To simplify that. An Intel i5 or AMD Ryzen Processor, 8GB of RAM, a 1080p Full HD screen res and an SSD of at the very least 120GB, try and strectch to 256GB to allow yourself head room for other apps and Windows Updates.
Thank you. Yep paint shop pro is a big thing for me. My hobby is editing photo's. I belong to a Facebook group that pays $ ☺️
So this one should be ok then yes? x

Thank you. Yep paint shop pro is a big thing for me. My hobby is editing photo's. I belong to a Facebook group that pays $ ☺️
So this one should be ok then yes? x

It’s not a full 1080p HD screen res so depends on how important that is and if your budget can stretch to one that is. Plus it sounds like this one has been knocked about a fair bit.

It’s not a full 1080p HD screen res so depends on how important that is and if your budget can stretch to one that is. Plus it sounds like this one has been knocked about a fair bit.
Thanks. Can't afford much more than this tbh. I'll hold fire a bit. I'm not desperate.
Still got my old faithful Dell. Started making horrendous noises though at start up. 😕

Thanks. Can't afford much more than this tbh. I'll hold fire a bit. I'm not desperate.
Still got my old faithful Dell. Started making horrendous noises though at start up. 😕

eBay have a code in at the moment. PERKS15. Which that seller is a part of. Will get you £30 of that model (if that makes it more acceptable) or up to a max of £60.

See if the seller has anymore where taking off 15% will make it affordable.

Otherwise try hotukdeals. They usually list all the shops taking part in the offer which may help you find something. At least with the shops that take part in these eBay offers it generally means they are a decent seller.

Windows 10 with 4GB of RAM will struggle, especially with photo editing, so look for 8GB
You also want a decent screen resolution - 1920x1080p or more

Used laptop prices took a jump during lockdown. Sparrow got a great 8GB touchscreen thinkpad for £275 from Morgan in March.
The same spec is ~£400 now :(

Still a good place to shop for refurbs

Windows 10 with 4GB of RAM will struggle, especially with photo editing, so look for 8GB
You also want a decent screen resolution - 1920x1080p or more

Used laptop prices took a jump during lockdown. Sparrow got a great 8GB touchscreen thinkpad for £275 from Morgan in March.
The same spec is ~£400 now :(

Still a good place to shop for refurbs
I'm amazed that they're still going (although their website looks very 'spirit of 2005') ! I used to like visiting their shop on New Oxford St.

editor if your around. Can you give your opinion on this please? Cheers.
That's the one I have, I think. I love it, but I don't do paint shop pro. It does photo editing in windows fine though.

Is it fast?
Seems ok, from cold it boots up windows in about 10 seconds. It came all cleaned up and has run smoothly for over a year now. Streems telly just fine, youtube etc. Battery has been ok too, the one I got has a bigger battery pack that sticks out the back and would run for about 4 hours before it needed a charge. Now it'll do about 3 and three quarter hours.

I like it more than the flash dell that crapped out on me (£800!) mainly cos it feels indestructible. It'd be fuckin heavy to carry around all day though.

Back
Top Bottom