Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Real-life stories that would make great movies

Idris2002

canadian girlfriend
As it says above.

For me, it's the early years of Thin Lizzy. In addition to the usual rock biopic stuff, you've got the background of Ireland being ten years into modernization, and the north in the process of blowing up. Phil's mixed-race background would be a good theme to draw on, and Eric Bell's protestant background allows a way into the northern aspects of the situation.

There should still be enough locations from that era to make it doable.

What about the rest of you?

I'd love to see a film about early 60s Jamaica and all the producers and musicians vying for attention and international fame. A really good period piece with all JA cast. Along the lines of Harder they Come but factual....

...they'd make news casting young Bob Marley...

I always wanted to see a good adventure/western/horror film based on the Donner Party, an ill fated wagon trek consisting nearly 100 settlers on the way to California in the mid-19th century. They attempted a short cut and instead got stuck in the Sierra Nevada mountain range during an unusually early and harsh winter. The whole story consists of one harrowing misadventure after another and once they ran out of food, they ended up resorting to survival cannibalism. There were several ill fated attempts at getting help, till they got rescued after four months stuck in the snow. Half of them survived.

There is a lot of documentation in the form of diaries and letters and several books have been written in it. Major Hollywood films have been attempted but the only dramatic film directly based on it, is a low budget B-movie from 2009 which was poorly received and went unnoticed. There are a few films tangentially based on it (Antonia Bird’s Ravenous imagines an aftermath, it gets referred to by Jack Nicholson in The Shining) but so far the only good film on it is a haunting 1992 Ric Burns documentary for PBS. Would make for an excellent adventure film or a Netflix series.

Last edited:
I always wanted to see a good adventure/western/horror film based on The Donner Party, an ill fated wagon trek consisting nearly 100 settlers on the way to California in the mid-19th century. They attempted a short cut and instead got stuck in the Sierra Nevada mountain range during an unusually long and harsh winter. The whole story consists of one harrowing misadventure after another and once they ran out of food, they ended up resorting to survival cannibalism. There were several ill fated attempts at getting help, till they got rescued after four months stuck in the snow. Half of them survived.

There is a lot of documentation in the form of diaries and letters and several books have been written in it. Major Hollywood films have been attempted but the only dramatic film directly based on it, is a low budget B-movie from 2009 which was poorly received and went unnoticed. There are a few films tangentially based on it (Antonia Bird’s Ravenous imagines an aftermath, it gets referred to by Jack Nicholson in The Shining) but so far the only good film on it is a haunting 1992 Ric Burns documentary for PBS. Would make for an excellent adventure film or a Netflix series.

I read a good horror story adaptation of that called The Hunger recently. I'd love to see a movie version.

I read a good horror story adaptation of that called The Hunger recently. I'd love to see a movie version.

Been eyeing that on my last visit to the English language bookshop in Berlin. Looks a little like The Terror by Dan Simmons, which was made into a tv series.

Would love a properly written dramatisation of the 43 Group.

CGI of London in 1946; the inital meeting between:

The Final Destination-like life of Nicholas Alkemade. He's fairly well known for having bailed out of a burning Lancaster at umpteen thousand feet without a parachute, and surviving with barely a scratch. But that wasn't the end of Nicholas's tribulations, oh no...

From this page on the RAF Museum website

After discharge from the RAF in 1946, Alkemade returned to Loughborough, finding work in a chemical plant. Not long after starting his new job, he again cheated death. While removing chlorine gas-generating liquid from a sump, he received a severe electric shock from the equipment he was using. Reeling away, his gas mask became dislodged and he began breathing in the poisonous gas. An agonising 15 minutes were to pass before his appeals for aid were answered and he was dragged to safety, nearly asphyxiated by the fumes.

Not long after, a siphoning pipe burst, spraying Alkemade’s face and arms with industrial sulphuric acid. With astounding presence of mind, he dived head-first into a nearby 40 gallon drum of limewash, thereby neutralising the acid. Alkemade ‘escaped’ with first degree burns. Returning to work, Alkemade was pinned beneath a nine foot long steel door runner that fell from its mountings as he passed by. Somehow only minor bruising resulted.

After this third incident even Alkemade thought that enough was enough, becoming a furniture salesman with Clemersons Limited in Loughborough, where he lived with his wife and children. He passed away, much later than he might otherwise have done, in June 1987.

Back
Top Bottom