Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Radical Kent

AmateurAgitator

arsewank
Banned
This thread was created from discussion about history on another thread. This is for information and discussion about the history of radicalism and rebellion in the county of Kent, England. I have shamelessly copied and pasted brogdale's summary/list. Obviously discussion or info on this thread does not have to be confined to what is on this list. Although I find all of this interesting, I am at the moment, particularly interested in the possible Digger commune at Cox Hall/Hill -

Much of Kent's radical history is very historical and some of it not really 'indigenous' as it were, but here goes with the stories of resistance:

1. The anti-Roman imperial warfare/'guerrilla resistance' of the Cantiaci to the various invasions of the imperialists culminating in defeat to the imperialists at the Battle of Medway.

2. The Peasants' revolt ( Wat Tyler's rebellion) against the taxes levied to fight war.

3. Jack Cade's rebellion in 1450 in which the "Captain of Kent" led peasants in a revolutionary attempt to take the state from the monarchy who corruptly imposed taxes for war.

4. As Count Cuckula mentioned above, various instances of revolutionary communities that emerged when the 'world was turned upside down' including the Diggers' community at Cox Hall near Dover.

5. The Nore (Chatham) Naval mutiny which, under Richard Parker, transformed from the 'normal' reasons for mutiny into a more explicit, revolutionary, republican action.

6. As iona mentioned above, the1830 Swing Riots protesting mechanisation, the Poor Law and starvation wages were sparked in East Kent in the Elham Valley between Canterbury and Folkestone.

7. The 1838 Battle of Bossenden wood, which I've already wittered about here, in which the rural poor, led by Sir William Courtenay, in villages around Faversham & Canterbury rebelled against their employers and ended up engaged in "the last rising of the agricultural labourers and the last battle fought on English soil."

8. Post WW1 radicalism including the 1920 NFDDSS activism and agitation of the ex-servicemen employed at the Woolwich Arsenal that spooked the authorities into forming the state controlled RBL.

9. The collieries of the Kent coalfield opened and expanded after WW1 and the demand for skilled labour meant that many of the most militant miners from the traditional coalfields who were sacked/black-listed for 1926 action found work in Kent. This tradition of militancy stayed with the Kent miners through to 1984.
and I'm sure that there's far more!

Last edited:
Many gypsy families there for the fruit and hop picking.
A lot of smuggling, highway men on the old A2 and don't forget the pilgrims way and pirates.
The lighting of the beacons to signal the approaching enemy armada..
The gangsters of Kent.
How did the Kent ha make the all England ha....
The battle of Britain
1987 when that huge storm wiped out all the old druid trees.
Bromley punks when Bromley might have been Kent.
The nurses marching from Kent to London to demand better conditions and pay in the early 80s.
Nurses fighting to get the entire 1000 bed institution out of uniform
Bodecia fighting across the Medway marshes
The murder of Thomas a Beckett
Chatham docks and unions.

Last edited:
Feels a bit wrong to like that opening post:D
But...good stuff...look forward to discussing this stuff & more.

One book I would very much recommend to anyone interested in the social/economic conditions that produced the 1838 "Courtney rebellion" in Hernehill that culminated in the Battle of Bossenden wood is this excellent Breviary Stuff publication:

Barry Reay – The Last Rising of the Agricultural Labourers – Breviary Stuff

1636901079167.png

Some of my distant relies in the family tree were almost certainly caught up in the agitation and organisation that led up to the events in Bossenden wood, though none ended up at the final battle.

& a nice little (12 minute) video account here:

Many gypsy families there for the fruit and hop picking.
A lot of smuggling, highway men on the old A2 and don't forget the pilgrims way.
1987 when that huge storm wiped out all the old druid trees.
Bromley punks when Bromley might have been Kent.
The nurses matching from Kent to London to demand better conditions and pay in the early 80s.
Bodecia fighting across the Medway marshes
The murder of Thomas a Beckett
Technically not the Bromley punks (1976-1980?) as the LB Bromley had been part of GL since 1965.

Something else to mention is the county's motto, 'Invicta' (which means undefeated) and the Invicta Horse which features on the flag. It all dates back to the William the Conqueror and claims that Kent was never defeated by the Normans. There is debate though about what actually happened. More here:

I think the Cinque Ports might have something to do with it all as well but I'm not really sure.

Something else to mention is the county's motto, 'Invicta' (which means undefeated) and the Invicta Horse which features on the flag. It all dates back to the William the Conqueror and claims that Kent was never defeated by the Normans. There is debate though about what actually happened. More here:

I think the Cinque Ports might have something to do with it all as well but I'm not really sure.
Not sure that legend stands up to geographical examination! :D

Legend has it that, while marching from the 1066 battle site at Hastings, William marched on to London on his way to the (then) capital Winchester. While passing through Kent, the local people picked up branches and marched at William's men. Scared, William and his army took flight and took a different route to London. As the people of Kent felt that they had chased William away, they adopted "Invicta" as a county motto.

So here's a thing...might even have had a place in the anarchism thread?....is there an earlier instance of the Black Flag being raised in the UK?

Following on from reading a fascinating account of the Battle of Bosenden Wood, I decided to re-read Hobsbawm & Rude's history of the Swing Riots (Captain Swing) and was interested to see this reference to "black flags" being raised in 1830 along with the republican tricolour:

1607102645082.png

Now, with the usual caveats regarding Wiki, it looks like 1830 is a very early example of the black flag being employed as such a radical emblem, pre-dating the cited examples by some 40 or 50 years :

1607102858353.png

Be interested to hear any views on this from Urbz with greater historical knowledge than myself; might this require some editing of the wiki entry?

Much of this post comes from here.

I'd just like to say that there is some radical Kent history in The English Rebel: A Thousand Years of Troublemaking, From the Normans to the Nineties by David Horspool and also The Making of the English Working Class by E.P. Thompson.

Last edited:
It mostly wouldn't have been Kentish people, but in WW1 there was agitation and striking among soldiers at Folkestone, apologies for lazy link, just what came up first WW1: The hidden story of soldier's mutinies, strikes & riots | Peter Tatchell Foundation
Yes this is mentioned in an article for issue 1 of Virus about Unrest in Britain by Charlie Mowbray, part of a series of articles by him on 1919, the year of struggle. 2000 troops at Dover joined the Folkestone troops the next day. It is also mentioned in this free online pamphlet by Dave lamb, though he has the figure of 4000 Dover troops (I think, might have got that the wrong way round):

I actually uploaded a video version of Charlie Mowbray's article today on my YouTube channel.

Last edited:
Yep, the thread needs to agitate, educate & organise...or at least shut up all those who claim our country is some sort of home counties type place full of stockbrokers.

View attachment 296804

There's so much more to my little corner of Kent than the public image of Medway suggests. I could really sink my teeth into writing a few bits for this this thread. Plus it's great practise MA and PhD study also. Top banana Count Cuckula , top bloody banana

Yes this is mentioned in an article for issue 1 of Virus about Unrest in Britain by Charlie Mowbray, part of a series of article by him on 1919, the year of struggle. 2000 at Dover joined the Folkestone troops the next day. It is also mentioned in this free online pamphlet by Dave lamb, though he has the figure of 4000 Dover troops (I think):

I actually uploaded a video version of Charlie Mowbray's article today on my YouTube channel.
Yes, though we have to admit that while it was geographically Kent, the coastal towns were staging posts for soldiers from all over the UK so in a certain way it wasn't very Kentish. It would be interesting to know who did drive the agitation - wouldn't be surprised if it was unionised men from manufacturing areas but I've never read into it in enough depth.

There's so much more to my little corner of Kent than the public image of Medway suggests. I could really sink my teeth into writing a few bits for this this thread. Plus it's great practise MA and PhD study also. Top banana Count Cuckula , top bloody banana
No problem Tony, but it was brogdale's idea. Anyway, I'm happy to oblige. Glad you are interested.

I'd just like to say that there is some radical Kent history in The English Rebel: A Thousand Years of Troublemaking, From the Normans to the Nineties by David Horspool and also The Making of the English Working Class by E.P. Thompson.
A.L. Morton's People's History of England might be worth a look too?
There'll be a fair few groups like this, not sure if of interest here
Oop, I'd forgotten/didn't entirely know Dover was Kent, but there was definitely some notable Kent radical history in... was it 2016-17 that there was the upsurge of fash stuff there? And maybe further back too, given the symbolic significance of Dover.

It mostly wouldn't have been Kentish people, but in WW1 there was agitation and striking among soldiers at Folkestone, apologies for lazy link, just what came up first WW1: The hidden story of soldier's mutinies, strikes & riots | Peter Tatchell Foundation
Perhaps you need to keep the emphasis on Kent and lose the emphasis on Kentish. I doubt a preponderance of nore mutineers could have boasted a Kentish birth but the mutiny part of Kent's radical history

Dover is unfortunately a constant draw for the fash now. It attracts the fash YouTube grifters unfortunatley. They like to film the new refugee arrivals and one of the nutters is doing his own dinghy patrols, which the local Kent press are happy to give coverage to unfortunately.

And ofcourse there is the odd fash demo, though recently they appear to have only mustered a small amount of knuckledraggers.

A.L. Morton's People's History of England might be worth a look too?

Oop, I'd forgotten/didn't entirely know Dover was Kent, but there was definitely some notable Kent radical history in... was it 2016-17 that there was the upsurge of fash stuff there? And maybe further back too, given the symbolic significance of Dover.
Raabesque lack of geographical awareness :D

The 'Battle of Dover' occurred in 2016.
Oh yeah, having done a quick check I think there was a sequence of three biggish ones I was thinking of - the big one was January 2016, but there was another fairly significant one in September 2015 leading up to it, and then another smaller one in April 2016.
By the way, does anyone have the picture of that lad in the Rangers scarf from the big Dover clash? That's one of those images I think of from time to time and it always makes me smile.

Oh yeah, having done a quick check I think there was a sequence of three biggish ones I was thinking of - the big one was January 2016, but there was another fairly significant one in September 2015 leading up to it, and then another smaller one in April 2016.
By the way, does anyone have the picture of that lad in the Rangers scarf from the big Dover clash? That's one of those images I think of from time to time and it always makes me smile.
There was anti-fascist stuff down there in the 90s, I'm sure of it

K Bullstreet writes about his being part of the opposition to a big NF demo in Maidstone in 1984. There was a time where Welling / Bexleyheath (sites of big anti-fascist actions in the late 80s and early 90s) would have been considered Kent (until the 1920s, probably).

Welling United's badge is still the Kent white horse, and they weren't formed until the 1960s. People often write about the frayed border between Essex and London, the same can be said about Kent and London, as the debate about Bromley above shows. Being in Bromley a fair bit it does have that 'borderland' feel about it.

I'd like to have seen Kent before massive motorways were pushed through it. On the Isle of Thanet, remoter parts around Folkestone, you still have some echo of it.

Here's some history of mining and associated militancy in the county. I am sure there is some alternative history to be discovered- there must have been radical communities in places like Sheppey, Whitstable, art school weirdness from the long closed campuses in places like Maidstone and Folkestone.

On Dover, I struggle to see it as fash-heavy. It's more a symbolic site where pathetic stragglers in urine-stained leisurewear turn up occasionally and are rounded up and jailed / sent on their way by Kent Police. Recent fascist attempts to organise in Dover seem to have been pitiful.

No idea who thinks Kent is a stockbroker place. I always associated that (rightly or wrongly) much more with Essex and Surrey. Nonetheless in all three counties you will find some really tough places, none more so that the Medway towns. Gillingham, Chatham, Rochester, Gravesend, Northfleet, Dartford a bit further afield in Sittingbourne / Faversham...thinking of places like this as the "stockbroker belt" just induces hollow laughter, really.

(thread bookmarked: love Kent really).

Back
Top Bottom