Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

R.I.P Alain Delon

Bradshaw does a pretty good obituary and I'd agree with him about Monsieur Klein. The best performance I've seen Delon give
My vote, though, for Delon’s greatest role, and greatest Delon achievement, is one that grew out of the enigmatic crime roles into which he had evolved in the late 1960s and 70s: Joseph Losey’s Kafka-esque doppelganger mystery Monsieur Klein from 1976. (It was entered into competition at Cannes, losing out to Scorsese’s Taxi Driver.)
(Though the second to last sentence in that link is a bit shit)

Reactions: Sue
A beautiful man when he was younger , great screen presence. Chaotic life at times but leaves a great legacy of film.

A bloke at work (in his 50s) was named Alain after Delon , he is regularly called Alan (not by me ) .

He was great in Plein Soleil (Purple Noon).
Alain-Delon-dans-Plein-Soleil-366945.jpg

I've no idea why Minghella was persuaded to make the Talented Mr. Ripley in 1999. It was a remake of this film. Pointless exercise.

Mrs LR has read all the books. I have not. Her favourite screen version is the Andrew Scott/Dakota Fanning.
Has she seen the version of Ripley's Game with John Malkovitch? It does depart from the book in places but is my favourite Ripley screen adaptation (not seen the Andrew Scott one yet).

BBC did a good series of audiodramas of the books which Mrs LR might want to check out.

Back to Delon I saw Deray's Flic Story a bit ago. Always viewed Deray as the poor man's Melville and this didn't change that but entertaining enough with both Delon and Trintignant, the latter having a brilliant line - I'd love to take a hacksaw to his throat and make him sing.

Don't they sound the same?

RIP Alain.. he had mesmerising eyes...and a great screen presence.
There is a slight difference , Alain at work certainly doesn't like being called Alan , & I'd guess that Alain Delon probably didn't like it either.

May he rest in dog piss.

He was a notorious wife beater, a homophobe and a national front supporter, I'm pretty sure that trumps being pretty in the 60s and being in films some of you all enjoyed.

I get having some amount of separating the art from the artist but I draw the line at wishing a terrible human a peaceful afterlife.

Back
Top Bottom