Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Quick question re Estate Agent contract

Hellsbells

World's best procrastinator
Sorry for starting a thread on this but I can't seem to type in the right thing in google to get the straightforward response I want!

I'm in the process of getting an Estate Agent to draw up a contract to get my dad's house on the market for selling. The estate agent has asked whether there are any other parties needing to be added to the contract such as joint owners or anyone else with interest.
There are no joint owners but what does 'anyone else with interest' mean?
Half the sale of the house will go to my sister. So is she someone 'with interest'?

subject to the disclaimer that i'm not a lawyer or anything like that...

i think that 'with interest' in this sort of case would mean if there's a mortgage out on it.

who's the legal owner of the place now?

subject to the disclaimer that i'm not a lawyer or anything like that...

i think that 'with interest' in this sort of case would mean if there's a mortgage out on it.

who's the legal owner of the place now?

My dad. Who has passed away. Or is it the bank who the mortgage is with? No idea.
Anyway, I'm paying the mortgage off next week. So if that's what the agency is referring to, then the answer is no.
I wish they'd be clearer about these things instead of assuming everyone knows as much about selling houses as they do!

I think that if you are selling it in your capacity as executor and you've paid off the mortgage then, you as the executor (or all the executors) are the legal owners.

If you've transferred the ownership of the property out of the Estate to you and your sister then each of you are joint owners.

As Supine says, talk to the Estate Agent to ask them exactly what they need to know.

The mortgage is irrelevant, it's just about who is responsible for paying their fees etc. If you want your sister to take over and deal with the agent at some point then add her name on, but otherwise you needn't bother and just sign it yourself.

Thanks for the advice. Making calls to the estate agent isn't easy when I'm at work & I also don't have access to my personal email (although bizarrely urban75 doesn't count!)
Will email tonight anyway

Back
Top Bottom