Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question: can I reset an app on my phone and still keep the data somehow?

story

Changing the facts
Tech idiot here…

So the Facebook messenger app on my Samsung Galaxy Android phone keeps crashing. I’ve tried restarting the phone, switching it off and on again, and various other things. It’s currently resting, like a poorly employed actor.

I’ve resisting de-installing the app for fear of losing all my data, photos and messages from friends etc.

I have the messenger app running okay on my iPad Air.

If I de-install the messenger app on my phone, will I lose all data across both my devices, or will it stay on my iPad?
How can I get the app to work again on my phone?

Thanking you in advance for your help and support, dear Urban.

Tech idiot here…

So the Facebook messenger app on my Samsung Galaxy Android phone keeps crashing. I’ve tried restarting the phone, switching it off and on again, and various other things. It’s currently resting, like a poorly employed actor.

I’ve resisting de-installing the app for fear of losing all my data, photos and messages from friends etc.

I have the messenger app running okay on my iPad Air.

If I de-install the messenger app on my phone, will I lose all data across both my devices, or will it stay on my iPad?
How can I get the app to work again on my phone?

Thanking you in advance for your help and support, dear Urban.
Data is all on facebooks servers (you should be able to see it all if you log into the website on your computer) so it should be fine.

Just one thing. You do remember your facebook login and password? You would need it when you reinstall.

Just one thing. You do remember your facebook login and password? You would need it when you reinstall.

Ah, okay. Good to know.

So I just deinstall it on my phone and re-install, right?

If I’ve not de-installed it on my iPad, do I need to re log in there, or just in my phone?

Reactions: Sue
Ah, okay. Good to know.

So I just deinstall it on my phone and re-install, right?

If I’ve not de-installed it on my iPad, do I need to re log in there, or just in my phone?
just on device you uninstall and reinstall it. It shouldn't affect the other device at all.

Thank you so much.
I know it would be simple, but didn’t want to try things randomly and make mistakes.
One thing. Do you encrypt messeages in fb messenger? Im not sure if they would stay. (Not used encryption myself)

One thing. Do you encrypt messeages in fb messenger? Im not sure if they would stay.

I don’t do it.
I don’t know that I’ve ticked that option….
Is it an option?
Ive never seen anytihg pop up to tell me it’s happening, like I do with WhatsApp.

I don’t do it.
I don’t know that I’ve ticked that option….
Is it an option?
Ive never seen anytihg pop up to tell me it’s happening, like I do with WhatsApp.
There is a lock symbol you can turn on to encrypt. Its not enabled by default like in whatsapp. I've not used it myself but i suspect encrypted messages MIGHT get lost if you uninstall. If you can see all your messages on the other device or on the website then you should be ok.

Just googled it and any encrypted messages will say they are "secreat conversations" and they would only appear on the device they were sent from. Article i read didn't make it clear but i suspect these messages wouldn't come back after a reinstall. Any normal mesages should be fine.

Not sure you can fully uninstall FB on a galaxy - it came pre-installed on mine, and all I could do was to disable it so it couldn't do anything. Maybe doing that, and undoing it would work to reset it though.

You could try installing messenger light. It's designed for lower spec phones. Even though I normally have decent ones I prefer it for it's simplicity. As others have said the messages will be on the server, but it might be nice to be reassured (and you may prefer it!)

Just googled it and any encrypted messages will say they are "secreat conversations" and they would only appear on the device they were sent from. Article i read didn't make it clear but i suspect these messages wouldn't come back after a reinstall. Any normal mesages should be fine.
Whatsapp messages seem to survive re-installs including when you move from one device to another - so shouldn't the same apply to encrypted Facebook ones?

I’d be surprised if the encryption key isn’t part of the install and login when the app is reinstalled. Shouldn’t be hard to google confirm though.

You could try installing messenger light. It's designed for lower spec phones. Even though I normally have decent ones I prefer it for it's simplicity. As others have said the messages will be on the server, but it might be nice to be reassured (and you may prefer it!)

Do I just search the app store for this option?

Thanks everyone.

I have now disabled messenger (I wasn’t given the option to uninstall or deinstall) and I’ve now installed “messenger lite” and all my previous messages and convos are here.

Very grateful to the collective for getting me through this trying time.

Back
Top Bottom