Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question about the HMRC ID verification app

I need to verify my ID with the HMRC to access my account but my passport has expired so I only have my driver's licence remaining out of the three options they give you.

I could renew my passport solely to verify my ID, but that costs £82.50 and as that's the only reason I need it for at the moment then I'd rather not if I can help it.

If you only have one form of valid ID then there is an HMRC app that allows you to verify by taking and uploading a pic of you holding your one valid ID next to your face, presumably so a human can confirm it. Trouble is, I tried to download that app and it said my phone would not be able to run it so I couldn't even do that. I have an old phone. :-(

However, my OH has a newer phone than mine so we could run it on his phone, but he's away until the weekend so we can't try this out until then.

But.... I have a horrible feeling that you can only use it on a phone that has its number registered with them to the individual who owns the phone.
In other words, they would only accept an upload of my verification photo from my phone and no-one else's.

Is that correct?

I have a feeling that I got round all this by verifying in person at a job centre plus...

Can't be certain but it may be an option? Are you able to contact a human in any way?

I think it's ok as the ID verification will be tied to the details that you enter into the app rather than the device itself. Once it's done you should never have to use it again. (I had to use one of these apps to sign on over lockdown and it was a shittily designed pain in the arse, but once it was done it was done, never had to open it again.)

I think i had issues with the nhs app and my old phone and got round it by doing the validation stuff on my pc and web cam.

I also have the hmrc app but i don't remember having to scan any documents for that app but i did sign up about 5 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom