Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pro-independence daily paper the National to launch in Scotland

I have to stay in because the tenement's getting a buzzer entry system fitted today so I can't buy it but intend to tomorrow at work for a look-see.

I have to stay in because the tenement's getting a buzzer entry system fitted today so I can't buy it but intend to tomorrow at work for a look-see.
It'll probably be better tomorrow. A bit thin today (and no letters page as yet).

My summary: As the i is to the Independent, the National is the Herald. James Maxwell gets a lot of stories. There's an article by Carolyn Leckie on Sturgeon, gender equality, and keeping an eye on the SNP government.

I got mine in a local newsagents, but I'm hearing the local Tesco won't be stocking it until tomorrow.

To be honest, I only remembered to get one when I was in the shop at 07:05 to get a gas top up as It'd run out. Toast and a shower was uppermost in my mind. :D

I'd done the online sub yesterday.

Picked up a copy from my local newsagent on the way to get the kids from school. There were about 7 or 8 copies still at 3pm which may not bode well but on the other hand a) this is Morningside so I was kind of surprised to see them stocking it at all and b) the elderly guy in front of me was also buying a copy.

Won't need one. A lot of the 45 don't watch live tv so they're not funding a bunch of lying, bullshitting corporate pedos. Wonder if they've gotten this far north, the paper, not the pedos.

what's a pedo and do you have any research to back up your claims that a lot of "the 45" don't watch live tv?

Picked up a copy from my local newsagent on the way to get the kids from school. There were about 7 or 8 copies still at 3pm which may not bode well but on the other hand a) this is Morningside so I was kind of surprised to see them stocking it at all and b) the elderly guy in front of me was also buying a copy.
Pro-indy types get up later blates :hmm:

what's a pedo and do you have any research to back up your claims that a lot of "the 45" don't watch live tv?
pelican-monaco-pedalo_pics109-10980.jpg

is it like a pedalo?

Go on facebook, join some of the Indy groups, do your own research. There are a lot of people on there who do NOT watch live tv, that's what I'm going on, what THETY write. If all you want to do is pick holes in my posts I can easy put you on ignore, just let me know :)

I got a copy in the local town :)

Go on facebook, join some of the Indy groups, do your own research. There are a lot of people on there who do NOT watch live tv, that's what I'm going on, what THETY write. If all you want to do is pick holes in my posts I can easy put you on ignore, just let me know :)

I got a copy in the local town :)

I've been on Facebook and looked at some of the pro-indy groups I've seen no evidence of much distrust of the mainstream media except among the loons who thing the referendum was fixed

I suggest that you refrain from making claims you can't back up properly.

i couldn't get a copy at Tollcross (edinburgh) this evening. one newsagent said 'that national thing, sold out at 1pm people were buying four copies at a time whats that all about'. sounds like they sold out - 60,000 print run the editor has said on Scotland Tonight.

i think they've made a few mistakes with the launch which will have a long term affect on perceptions (primarily, the error of speaking at the Hydro Sturgeon rally on Saturday). an interesting development though.

I've a feeling it was a rush job thought up to coincide with the Hydro SNPtour. It should get better. I'll post up pdf links to the weeks issues for anyone interested.

I only ever get a paper, usually the Metro, when I need paper for the cat litter tray. :D

Thirdly, the National’s well-timed birth may allow it to charge for access to online content. Existing titles have found it hard to monetise web-based journalism even though it swallows up more and more budget and editorial time. That’s partly because old habits die hard, readers have got used to free or very low-cost content and can easily swap to another easier-to-access pro-union title. Such a substitution effect is currently impossible in the limited sphere of pro-independence newspapers – there are only two.
This sounds rather like wishful thinking, people aren't swapping one newspaper for another but ditching newspapers in favour of the internet.

I imagine in the short term that the niche appeal of the National will allow it to make a profit, but longer term it's hard to see how another newspaper can survive in a market that is under severe pressure already.

Last edited:
I imagine in the short term that the niche appeal of the National will allow it to make a profit, but longer term it's hard to see how another newspaper can survive in a market that is under severe pressure already.
Good point, I can't see that being pro-independence is a strong enough USP on its own to sustain its readership level beyond nationalist pub bores like Lesley Riddoch. The Express for example has a mouth frothing independence line from the EU for its readers but it has to have other selling points such as fantasy weather forecasts and batshit Diana death conspiracies. With the recent death of Stuart Pretender heir the Duchess of Alba perhaps the paper could blame her demise on a plot by the Duke of Edinburgh, English Tories in bowler hats and Gordon Brown.

This sounds rather like wishful thinking, people aren't swapping one newspaper for another but ditching newspapers in favour of the internet.

There seems to have been a sales and circulation boost for all the Scottish papers from the referendum. This article in the Drum, from September reports a 111% year-on-year increase for the Sunday Herald. But the Scotsman (which supported No) reported a boost around the time of the referendum weekend, too.

I imagine the Scotsman's boost will be shorter lived, because it was general referendum interest boosting sales (and web page views), but the National is hoping that the pro independence supporters will be looking for a media outlet that reflects their views (there was no daily mainstream output doing so). Clearly the company thinks the just shy of 50,000 the Sunday Herald gets is a viable figure.

It remains to be seen whether the Nation a) attains that and b) sustains it.

Back
Top Bottom