Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • I will not vote

Votes: 34 18.6%

• Total voters
Planning on abstaining as I don't want to endorse the electoral system and certainly don't want to endorse the three main neo-liberal parties even if they are gonna re-arrange the deckchairs on the titanic (have some sympathies with Green, TUSC etc).

One thing is thought my partner is a fervent Lib Dem (has been for 25 years). He will be really cross with me if I don't vote and it will take a bit of courage for me to say 'i'm not coming' when he goes out to vote on Thursday. I have kind of explained to him that I am an anarchist (but he still kind of assumes I am a Lib Dem and that I want to come out canvassing with him on Thursday).

I really feel that it is important that he respects my views. I am not not voting because I am too lazy or apathetic (if I was I could understand his annoyance a bit more). I have genuine thought out reasons that I don't want to vote and I think it is important he respects that. Its still gonna take guts though to stand up for that view.

He will be annoyed with me.

So, are you actually abstaining now because that's what you truly believe Shev, or is it just another 'from the hip' moment?

go to the booth and spoil your ballot then that way you can say you made a principled stand by writing 'NONE OF THE ABOVE'

It isn't apathy, it is conscious rejection of the electoral system.

So, are you actually abstaining now because that's what you truly believe Shev, or is it just another 'from the hip' moment?

Can't be arsed arguing with that. I am no way an activist but in terms of reading (a bit) of anarchist literature and agree with it. But then I am under a lot of personal pressure to conform to Lib Dem shit by my partner.

go to the booth and spoil your ballot then that way you can say you made a principled stand by writing 'NONE OF THE ABOVE'

It isn't apathy, it is conscious rejection of the electoral system.

Yeah I understand. I just think it is a cleaner solution to just not go. If you spoil your ballot isn't it still counted amongst the people who voted?

Lol. Not everything is perfect but I am quite loyal. Someone else on Urban told me to leave him too as we supposedly have a 'toxic' relationship - which I don't know how you can tell from a messageboard

Didn't mean to have a go, Shev - just however you vote (or don't), have courage of your convictions :)

Yeah. I am a bit weak sometimes. Quite soft, don't always stand up for myself. Bit of an armchair radical (which was what was behind my bravery thread on education and employment - but it's gone down a different direction now).

Can't be arsed arguing with that. I am no way an activist but in terms of reading (a bit) of anarchist literature and agree with it. But then I am under a lot of personal pressure to conform to Lib Dem shit by my partner.

Yeah I understand. I just think it is a cleaner solution to just not go. If you spoil your ballot isn't it still counted amongst the people who voted?

counted as spoiled, yes. But it is considered a way to express dissatisfaction with the electoral system, and spoileds don't give a vote to anybody.

counted as spoiled, yes. But it is considered a way to express dissatisfaction with the electoral system, and spoileds don't give a vote to anybody.

It just seems a bit of waste of time to go and make a futile protest by spoiling your ballot and making an @ sign on the ballot paper.

Better to get involved in your community. I am actually setting up a tenants group but no-one has joined yet.
:)

They don't give a vote to anybody - but they say that the electoral system's worth making an effort over.

Pretty big chance in Pavilion, no?

it's their biggest chance of getting in, but i still don't think it's very likely

This! But worth a try. :hmm:

Funnily enough, having stuck a Vote Green sign up in my window, I arrived home today to find another pamphlet from them, with a hand written 'Thank you!' on it.

Very friendly, like - but not very green! :facepalm: Straight into the recycling bin, LOL! :rolleyes: :D

Back
Top Bottom