Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Private Members Bills

PR1Berske

Alligator in chains by the park gates.
Every year in a new Parliament backbenchers are drawn from a hat to win the chance of introducing a Bill with the possibility of becoming law (very very very few do, though a smattering do)

This year's draw was notable in that no Conservatives were drawn at all.

The list of the proposed Bills is below. They're only given certain Fridays to introduce their Bill, and behind the scenes strings are often pulled to help along some and restrict others (it's an open secret that some are "handouts" from government whips).

I think we all know that the Assisted Dying Bill is the biggest draw this year. After about the fourth or fifth on the list, there is absolutely no chance of them progressing without help from the "usual channels".

I'm certain that we all have opinions on these ( :) ) and I'll try to update the thread as and when I can. When the Bills are published I'll link them, and if there's any commentary I can provide, I will.

--

1. Terminally Ill Adults (End of Life) Bill [Kim Leadbeater]: Bill to allow adults who are terminally ill, subject to safeguards and protections, to request and be provided with assistance to end their own life; and for connected purposes.
2. New Homes (Solar Generation) Bill [Max Wilkinson]: Bill to require the installation of solar photovoltaic generation equipment on new homes; to set minimum standards for compliance with that requirement; and for connected purposes.
3. Climate and Nature Bill [Dr Roz Savage]: Bill to require the United Kingdom to achieve climate and nature targets; to give the Secretary of State a duty to implement a strategy to achieve those targets; to establish a Climate and Nature Assembly to advise the Secretary of State in creating that strategy; to give duties to the Committee on Climate Change and the Joint Nature Conservation Committee regarding the strategy and targets; and for connected purposes.
4. Water Bill [Clive Lewis]: Bill to set targets and objectives relating to water, including in relation to the ownership of water companies and to climate mitigation and adaptation; to require the Secretary of State to publish and implement a strategy for achieving those targets and objectives; to establish a Commission on Water to advise the Secretary of State on that strategy; to make provision about the powers and duties of that Commission, including a requirement to establish a Citizens’ Assembly on water ownership; and for connected purposes.
5. Protection of Children (Digital Safety and Data Protection) Bill [Josh MacAlister]: Bill to make provision for the protection of children accessing digital services and content.
6. Rare Cancers Bill [Dr Scott Arthur]: Bill to make provision to incentivise research and investment into the treatment of rare types of cancer; and for connected purposes.
7. European Union (Withdrawal Arrangements) Bill [Jim Allister]: Bill to make provision to modify the effect on domestic law of arrangements relating to the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the EU; and for connected purposes.
8. Free School Meals (Automatic Registration of Eligible Children) Bill [Peter Lamb]: Bill to make provision about the automatic registration of all children eligible for free school meals; to provide for an opt-out where the family wishes; and for connected purposes.
9. Controlled Drugs (Procedure for Specification) Bill [Alex McIntyre]: Bill to change the procedure for amending Schedule 2 to the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971.
10. Licensing Hours Extensions Bill [Andrew Ranger]: Bill to amend the Licensing Act 2003 so that licensing hours Orders can be made by negative resolution statutory instrument.
11. Looked After Children (Distance Placements) Bill [Jake Richards]: Bill to require local authorities to publish information about looked after children in distance placements; to require local authorities to develop and publish sufficiency plans in respect of their duty under section 22G of the Children Act 1989; to require the Secretary of State to publish a national sufficiency plan in respect of looked after children in distance placements; and for connected purposes.
12. Absent Voting (Elections in Scotland and Wales) Bill [Tracy Gilbert]: Bill to make provision about absent voting in connection with local government elections in Scotland and Wales, elections to the Scottish Parliament and elections to Senedd Cymru; and for connected purposes.
13. Unauthorised Entry to Football Matches Bill [Linsey Farnsworth]: Bill to create an offence of unauthorised entry at football matches for which a football banning order can be imposed following conviction.
14. Space Industry (Indemnities) Bill [John Grady]: Bill to require operator licences authorising the carrying out of spaceflight activities to specify the licensee’s indemnity limit.
15. Short-term Let Accommodation Bill [Rachael Maskell]: Bill to make provision for the licensing of short-term let accommodation; to make provision about the marketing of short-term let accommodation; to make provision about planning permission in respect of short-term let accommodation; to require the Secretary of State to publish guidance about the management of short-term let accommodation; to make provision about small business rates relief for short-term let accommodation; and for connected purposes.
16. Fur (Import and Sale) Bill [Ruth Jones]: Bill to prohibit the import and sale of fur; and for connected purposes.
17. Animal Welfare (Import of Dogs, Cats and Ferrets) Bill [Dr Danny Chambers]: Bill to make provision for and in connection with restricting the importation and non-commercial movement of dogs, cats and ferrets.
18. Fireworks Bill [Sarah Owen]: Bill to make provision about the sale of fireworks; and for connected purposes.
19. Gambling Act 2005 (Monetary Limits for Lotteries) Bill [Wendy Chamberlain]: Bill to remove monetary limits on proceeds from the mandatory conditions of lottery operating licences; and for connected purposes.
20. Sale of Tickets (Sporting and Cultural Events) Bill [Dr Rupa Huq]: Bill to make provision about transparency of ticket prices for sporting and cultural events; and for connected purposes

Every year in a new Parliament backbenchers are drawn from a hat to win the chance of introducing a Bill with the possibility of becoming law (very very very few do, though a smattering do)

This year's draw was notable in that no Conservatives were drawn at all.

The list of the proposed Bills is below. They're only given certain Fridays to introduce their Bill, and behind the scenes strings are often pulled to help along some and restrict others (it's an open secret that some are "handouts" from government whips).

I think we all know that the Assisted Dying Bill is the biggest draw this year. After about the fourth or fifth on the list, there is absolutely no chance of them progressing without help from the "usual channels".

I'm certain that we all have opinions on these ( :) ) and I'll try to update the thread as and when I can. When the Bills are published I'll link them, and if there's any commentary I can provide, I will.

--

1. Terminally Ill Adults (End of Life) Bill [Kim Leadbeater]: Bill to allow adults who are terminally ill, subject to safeguards and protections, to request and be provided with assistance to end their own life; and for connected purposes.
2. New Homes (Solar Generation) Bill [Max Wilkinson]: Bill to require the installation of solar photovoltaic generation equipment on new homes; to set minimum standards for compliance with that requirement; and for connected purposes.
3. Climate and Nature Bill [Dr Roz Savage]: Bill to require the United Kingdom to achieve climate and nature targets; to give the Secretary of State a duty to implement a strategy to achieve those targets; to establish a Climate and Nature Assembly to advise the Secretary of State in creating that strategy; to give duties to the Committee on Climate Change and the Joint Nature Conservation Committee regarding the strategy and targets; and for connected purposes.
4. Water Bill [Clive Lewis]: Bill to set targets and objectives relating to water, including in relation to the ownership of water companies and to climate mitigation and adaptation; to require the Secretary of State to publish and implement a strategy for achieving those targets and objectives; to establish a Commission on Water to advise the Secretary of State on that strategy; to make provision about the powers and duties of that Commission, including a requirement to establish a Citizens’ Assembly on water ownership; and for connected purposes.
5. Protection of Children (Digital Safety and Data Protection) Bill [Josh MacAlister]: Bill to make provision for the protection of children accessing digital services and content.
6. Rare Cancers Bill [Dr Scott Arthur]: Bill to make provision to incentivise research and investment into the treatment of rare types of cancer; and for connected purposes.
7. European Union (Withdrawal Arrangements) Bill [Jim Allister]: Bill to make provision to modify the effect on domestic law of arrangements relating to the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the EU; and for connected purposes.
8. Free School Meals (Automatic Registration of Eligible Children) Bill [Peter Lamb]: Bill to make provision about the automatic registration of all children eligible for free school meals; to provide for an opt-out where the family wishes; and for connected purposes.
9. Controlled Drugs (Procedure for Specification) Bill [Alex McIntyre]: Bill to change the procedure for amending Schedule 2 to the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971.
10. Licensing Hours Extensions Bill [Andrew Ranger]: Bill to amend the Licensing Act 2003 so that licensing hours Orders can be made by negative resolution statutory instrument.
11. Looked After Children (Distance Placements) Bill [Jake Richards]: Bill to require local authorities to publish information about looked after children in distance placements; to require local authorities to develop and publish sufficiency plans in respect of their duty under section 22G of the Children Act 1989; to require the Secretary of State to publish a national sufficiency plan in respect of looked after children in distance placements; and for connected purposes.
12. Absent Voting (Elections in Scotland and Wales) Bill [Tracy Gilbert]: Bill to make provision about absent voting in connection with local government elections in Scotland and Wales, elections to the Scottish Parliament and elections to Senedd Cymru; and for connected purposes.
13. Unauthorised Entry to Football Matches Bill [Linsey Farnsworth]: Bill to create an offence of unauthorised entry at football matches for which a football banning order can be imposed following conviction.
14. Space Industry (Indemnities) Bill [John Grady]: Bill to require operator licences authorising the carrying out of spaceflight activities to specify the licensee’s indemnity limit.
15. Short-term Let Accommodation Bill [Rachael Maskell]: Bill to make provision for the licensing of short-term let accommodation; to make provision about the marketing of short-term let accommodation; to make provision about planning permission in respect of short-term let accommodation; to require the Secretary of State to publish guidance about the management of short-term let accommodation; to make provision about small business rates relief for short-term let accommodation; and for connected purposes.
16. Fur (Import and Sale) Bill [Ruth Jones]: Bill to prohibit the import and sale of fur; and for connected purposes.
17. Animal Welfare (Import of Dogs, Cats and Ferrets) Bill [Dr Danny Chambers]: Bill to make provision for and in connection with restricting the importation and non-commercial movement of dogs, cats and ferrets.
18. Fireworks Bill [Sarah Owen]: Bill to make provision about the sale of fireworks; and for connected purposes.
19. Gambling Act 2005 (Monetary Limits for Lotteries) Bill [Wendy Chamberlain]: Bill to remove monetary limits on proceeds from the mandatory conditions of lottery operating licences; and for connected purposes.
20. Sale of Tickets (Sporting and Cultural Events) Bill [Dr Rupa Huq]: Bill to make provision about transparency of ticket prices for sporting and cultural events; and for connected purposes
yes but what do you ...

..... aaaaaargh :oops:

I could see this one moving forward with the issues airbnb is causing elsewhere, I don't know how much of a problem it is in the UK, I'm sure there are places having issues.

If done well, this would be good, but I'm not sure solar PV is right for every house. Better to be changing planning regs to make it easier to install street-facing solar PV (and external wall insulation) imo, and making sure energy efficiency regs are as tight as they can be.

I thought we already have legally required targets around the paris accords? I guess not.

Back
Top Bottom