Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Prince - where to start

Mostly his 80s albums, specifically 1999 through to Sign o the times. He didn't do a bad almost until Graffiti Bridge. 1979 - 1990 there was just no stopping him.
Quite like Chaos and Disorder (1996), it's not exceptional but still rocks. Aside from that one don't really know his album output after Graffiti Bridge.

Prince oozed talent and sexiness. As a teen found him (like Elvis) so alluring and all the mystique was just... such a part of the appeal. But sections of the music press absolutely hated on him. Especially when Around the World in a Day was released. Full of sneering comments on his height, talent and output. And then, suddenly, they changed their tune. He was a genius...

Prince oozed talent and sexiness. As a teen found him (like Elvis) so alluring and all the mystique was just... such a part of the appeal. But sections of the music press absolutely hated on him. Especially when Around the World in a Day was released. Full of sneering comments on his height, talent and output. And then, suddenly, they changed their tune. He was a genius...
He was. Not sure where he was heading post Lovesexy tbh, but I haven't really listened to it and what I have heard (Diamonds and Pearls the track) I didn't like. If anyone can recommend an album worth listening to post '88 I may give it a whirl. But I think this view is pretty universal to all but the most die hard fans.

He was. Not sure where he was heading post Lovesexy tbh, but I haven't really listened to it and what I have heard (Diamonds and Pearls the track) I didn't like. If anyone can recommend an album worth listening to post '88 I may give it a whirl. But I think this view is pretty universal to all but the most die hard fans.

Well, can only vouch for Graffiti Bridge and the Chaos and Disorder albums, which are 90s... haven't really listen to his later stuff. Should do.

ETA:

If you haven't already done so, it's a joy to check out the influences on Prince like Parliament/Funkadelic, Larry Graham/Graham Central Station, Sly and the Family Stone, Zapp and arguably Little Richard.

Last edited:
Quite like Chaos and Disorder (1996), it's not exceptional but still rocks. Aside from that one don't really know his album output after Graffiti Bridge.

There's some good stuff. The Gold Experience has some good tracks on it. Come is quite a good album actually. 3121, Musicology, The album that that he gave away to the Daily Mail was actually half decent and his stuff with 3rd eye girl is definitely worth a listen.

And above all don't forget The Black Album.

Then when you are bored with that you can listen to The Time, Shelia E, Wendy and Lisa, Jill Jones, The Family and possibly Madhouse too!

There's some good stuff. The Gold Experience has some good tracks on it. Come is quite a good album actually. 3121, Musicology, The album that that he gave away to the Daily Mail was actually half decent and his stuff with 3rd eye girl is definitely worth a listen.

And above all don't forget The Black Album.

Then when you are bored with that you can listen to The Time, Shelia E, Wendy and Lisa, Jill Jones, The Family and possibly Madhouse too!
Have a Shelia E and The Time and love them.

Well, can only vouch for Graffiti Bridge and the Chaos and Disorder albums, which are 90s... haven't really listen to his later stuff. Should do.

ETA:

If you haven't already done so, it's a joy to check out the influences on Prince like Parliament/Funkadelic, Larry Graham/Graham Central Station, Sly and the Family Stone, Zapp and arguably Little Richard.
I like Parliament, don’t think I’ve heard any of the others.

Not a huge fan but listened to Around The World In A Day last night and it's largely brilliant.

I found it a big disappointment when it came out but I love it now. Everyone was expecting "Purple Rain pt2" but now I can really appreciate that as an experimental pop artist it's the perfect follow up.

A lot of decent 12" records came off that record too including a 20 minute version of America.

Last edited:
If you like Parliament, am pretty sure you'd like Funkadelic. They are pretty much George Clinton's visionary funk bands. Early Funkadelic stuff like Maggot Brain is monumental.

Check out Eddie Hazel's guitar playing on the track when you get a moment.

Decent track. I was sort of expecting funk though. Can definitely hear the Prince style lead guitar in there though.

Back
Top Bottom