Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Potential nuclear scenario

Where does it say in that article that there's any question of US troops going into Ukraine?
How else would NATO destroy Russian troops in Ukraine by conventional means?

Just to give you a hypothetical, we would respond by leading a Nato – a collective – effort that would take out every Russian conventional force that we can see and identify on the battlefield in Ukraine and also in Crimea

Would WW2 Anderson shelters and the like work against Cruise missiles? (I'm not talking about nukes) starting to get mildly paranoid after reading an article about most bomb shelters being sold off after the war. Where can I find one and could I be able to build my own?

kebabking A380 ViolentPanda

Would WW2 Anderson shelters and the like work against Cruise missiles? (I'm not talking about nukes) starting to get mildly paranoid after reading an article about most bomb shelters being sold off after the war. Where can I find one and could I be able to build my own?

I don't think any shelters like that can survive a direct hit. But they are good at keeping people protected while lighter amounts of shrapnel are flying about.

I don't think any shelters like that can survive a direct hit. But they are good at keeping people protected while lighter amounts of shrapnel are flying about.
I'm not talking about nukes btw 'just' airstrikes like the ones on Kyiv today.

If Russia launched conventional missiles at Nato countries NATO would nuke them (possibly before the Russian missiles had hit). There is almost zero chance of conventional Russian strikes on the UK.
Idk, they've probably got more of the conventional stuff tbh and they might not want to be the ones to 'strike first' against NATO proper. It's still very unlikely either way imo

My only actual (dated and limited) knowledge is more from a chemical /radiological perspective.

But my untrained understanding of garden shelters in WW2 is that they could not possibly survive a direct hit but were about protecting against debris and the like. Anderson shelters were basically a corrugated iron shed with a curved roof that you dug a hole in the ground about four or five feet deep and lined with the walls of the shed. The curved roof then stuck out of the ground about three feet and was covered in 18 inches / two foot of soil. So the corrugated iron structure was more of a form for an earth structure rather than the protection itself. You seem to know a bit about groundwork so could probably build one, I guess drainage is an issue and you'd need a pump most places to stop it turning into a pond with a roof. I guess you could use a bit concrete sewer pipe as a similar form, If it was about 2 meter diameter and 10/15 foot long,

1665432416891.png

Found this image above showing the earthen structure. So the corrugated iron form we see in museums looked like this, but would not have been used without being buried and covered with earth.

1665432527012.png

Original assembly instructions for the Anderson shelter. | Anderson shelter, Study materials, Shelter Original instructions.

I'm not sure I'd bother just yet with a conventional bomb shelter. But then who knows...

(And of course to be cheerful, AWE is just down the road from you so might not be worth the bother. Just working out my new home, I think I'm equidistant between Bacton, The two big US airbases at Mildenhall and Lakenheath and the two Sizewells, so I can probably save on white paint for the windows...)

Last edited:

A cruise missile is just a bomb with wings and an engine - nothing special about the warhead.

Chances of a Sov CM getting to Oxford aren't high... I've no great grasp of Sov targeting priorities, no idea if Oxford will get a bucketful, but if it does then a domestic bomb shelter won't help you much - surviving the initial bang and firestorm is the easy bit, you either do or don't, with no input from you.

The problem will be finding drinking water that doesn't glow in the dark, and then crops that won't turn you into Godzilla...

Back
Top Bottom