Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Portable MRI scanner

HAL9000

I think the machine looks like this...

1650671378374.png

So the idea is to use a weak magnetic images, which allows the machine to bought to the patient . Also its a lot cheaper than a normal MRI machine, so may make the technology available to a greater number of hospitals.

Magnetic field strength for this machine is 0.064 T, compared to 1.5T for a normal scanner or 15,000 times stronger than that produced by the Earth.

Reduced magnetic field produces lower quality images, so uses image processing to try and compensate for the weaker magnetic field. Even with the post processing the image quality is not going to be as good as a normal MRI machine, so the aim of the study was to show that the images generated were still useful for detecting strokes.

Some audio...

9minutes 25 seconds

Last edited:
Not going to fit one in an ambulance though. :(

Maybe, quick google search. There are other methods to image the brain, infrared might be an option, near infrared spectroscopy.

1650732981579.png

Another solution is to use a type of xray machine, CT scanner (use to be called CAT scan). Radiation dose is higher than a normal xray, around 2 mSv for comparison, annual exposure limit for nuclear industry employees is 20 mSv. So its safe but I assume doctors are only going to use a CT scanner if its really needed.

1650734342408.png

Now its possible to fit a CT scanner in a small truck, given the cost and skills needed its not going to be fitted to normal ambulances.

Australian government has given some money to a company called Micro-X to make a scanner that can fit in an aircraft

1650735016625.png

I wonder if improvements can be made with CT scanners to give a much lower dose of radiation combined with image processing to spot a bleed or a stroke automatically.

Back
Top Bottom