Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question Portable monitors - any good?

Throbbing Angel

uncivilly servile
Hiya, these appeal to me for a number of reasons:
  • No dedicated workspace at home
  • Mobility and spinal issues/pain mean getting out and putting away a 'proper' monitor is difficult and painful
  • They seem quite affordable with the ones in looking at being around £100
There's one on Amazon Deals today, screenshot below. Crap or not crap??

Screenshot_20231025-212152.png

A mate used to use them to connect to servers/headless boxes at work. They were good enough for that, but not sure I'd want you use one for extended periods.

Completely depends on your circumstances and space I guess.

I bought an Asus mb16a from CEX in perfect condition for about £80. It's absolutely perfect for me as it's the same size and resolution as my laptop screen. Powered by the USB-C connection. It's great at home and I also use it as the second screen to display the lyrics when I'm hosting karaoke in the pub.

I really wanted to like thes, but my main critique of them is that they get knocked down/off position by a feather. So if the unit, or even the connecting cable, gets nudged, you have to stop what you're doing and move it back into position.

I bought an Asus mb16a from CEX in perfect condition for about £80. It's absolutely perfect for me as it's the same size and resolution as my laptop screen. Powered by the USB-C connection. It's great at home and I also use it as the second screen to display the lyrics when I'm hosting karaoke in the pub.
They look good but they, CEX, don't deliver them. The nearest monitor is an hour/60miles away :(, which is a long round trip if I don't like it or their grading system. I will keep an eye out, though as I'm sure they are miles better than a new, similarly priced, no-name portable monitor from Amazon or AliExpress etc.

Got an ASUS

Works great with work laptop doesn’t work with back up laptop

Super handy if you are mobile. Whenever colleagues see mine in action they are on to Amazon to buy one

Got my sister one for work as she’s always mobile as social worker. She loves it

Got an ASUS

Works great with work laptop doesn’t work with back up laptop

Super handy if you are mobile. Whenever colleagues see mine in action they are on to Amazon to buy one

Got my sister one for work as she’s always mobile as social worker. She loves it
Same model??

I’ll have a gander, wait out

ETA

ASUS ZenScreen Portable Monitor 15.6" 1080P FHD Laptop Monitor (MB166C) - IPS USB-C Travel Monitor, Flicker-free and Blue Light Filter w/Smart Cover​

This model is on offer on Amazon today for £116 🤔

Deal of the day: ASUS ZenScreen Portable Monitor 15.6" 1080P FHD Laptop Monitor (MB166C) - IPS USB-C Travel Monitor, Flicker-free and Blue Light Filter w/Smart Cover, External Monitor For Laptop & Macbook https://amzn.eu/d/5jZwkKd

Available as "A" grade from CEX for £100 with 2 year warranty. "A" grade is basically brand new, original everything including box, cables etc. Collection only though, from Cardiff or Wakefield if either of those are any good to you.

Available as "A" grade from CEX for £100 with 2 year warranty. "A" grade is basically brand new, original everything including box, cables etc. Collection only though, from Cardiff or Wakefield if either of those are any good to you.

Nahh - good spot - but I'm miles away from both of those.

Back
Top Bottom