Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

please tell me about your ties with the new york mafia

BigMoaner

What A Load of Old Bollocks
Oh God, I am going through my watching mafia interviews on youtube phase again.

This one with Donnie Brasco is particularly fascinating.

Have you ever met/seen/known anyone in the five familes? tell me your stories

(yes I do know they are deeply unpleasent community wreckers, it's just i can help find them a fascinating)

I once stayed in an apartment in NYC that was owned by the mob.

However, it wasn’t just the ovens that were warm at Ray’s – it was also a hotspot for major mob activity involving narcotics, gangs and gambling, with the pizza parlour and its adjoining clubhouse being the HQ for “the Prince Street crew” of local mobsters.

The drugs were handled in the basement below the ovens, with the primary trade being heroin.

I remember going to little Italy when I was in New York aged 10 or 11. Me and my brother were trying to look in the back windows of a big limousine to see if it had tellies in the back (we'd heard of such things). We couldn't see tellies but when we got to the front of the car the windows had guns fitted in them. Then we saw two cop cars with windscreen fitted guns too. I remember thinking this was not a healthy state of affairs.

1: as an undergraduate there was a guy in my year who was of the italian persuasion and came from a certain neighborhood in brooklyn. he was kinda loud, kinda big, kinda two-faced, and just kinda unpleasant, and had quite a bit of difficulty saying what his father did for a living. people closer to him than i bothered to get were convinced of what that was.

2: donnie brasco's apartment when undercover was about 4 blocks from mine.

3: i work in a building which has retired NYPD as door security. he was in a diner near the courts once, waiting for the call to come back in. they get the call, hop out of the place in a hurry so aren't paying too close attention, and jog smack into john gotti. his sidekick gravano reached for his gun but it was all cleared up fast.

4: i grew up straight across the street from, played with, and went to school with, a kid whose father, i learned only in my 20s, was a full-time gun for the genovese. the parents on the block must have known this, so mine did a good job keeping that information from me. the father was a sourpuss, the mother was a battleax, but the kid himself seemed a little lost and was perfectly friendly. there were alot of bullies in the neighborhood but despite his parentage he wasn't one of them. we even said hello many years later. i'd be amazed if he went into LCN.

i was baffled when i learned of this so i went on the web to scour around. the guy was a soldier therefore low-level, and i haven't been able to find info about him, but there is a guy of the same name and same business who i'll assume is the guy's father (so, my friend's grandfather). he's mentioned a few places, one is here: Anthony Carfano (it's not the title character).

5: on my own side of the block there was a kid who i was very friendly with when very young but that didn't last and just as well, he grew up to do armed robberies and may have been a stringer with the westies/gambinos.

Last edited:
1: as an undergraduate there was a guy in my year who was of the italian persuasion and came from a certain neighborhood in brooklyn. he was kinda loud, kinda big, kinda two-faced, and just kinda unpleasant, and had quite a bit of difficulty saying what his father did for a living. people closer to him than i bothered to get were convinced of what that was.

3: i work in a building which has retired NYPD as door security. he was in a diner near the courts once, waiting for the call to come back in. they get the call, hop out of the place in a hurry so aren't paying too close attention, and jog smack into john gotti. his sidekick gravano reached for his gun but it was all cleared up fast.

4: i grew up straight across the street from, played with, and went to school with, a kid whose father, i learned only in my 20s, was a full-time gun for the genovese. the parents on the block must have known this, so mine did a good job keeping that information from me. the father was a sourpuss, the mother was a battleax, but the kid himself seemed a little lost and was perfectly friendly. there were alot of bullies in the neighborhood but despite his parentage he wasn't one of them. we even said hello many years later. i'd be amazed if he went into LCN.

i was baffled when i learned of this so i went on the web to scour around. the guy was a soldier therefore low-level, and i haven't been able to find info about him, but there is a guy of the same name and same business who i'll assume is the guy's father (so, my friend's grandfather). he's mentioned a few places, one is here: Anthony Carfano (it's not the title character).

5: on my own side of the block there was a kid who i was very friendly with when very young but that didn't last and just as well, he grew up to do armed robberies and may have been a stringer with the westies/gambinos.
Lovely stuff. I love the old pictures of them outside social clubs. Always one in a tracksuit.

That donnie brasco interview is brilliant peetee

I used to work with courier companies and had the pleasure of meeting the boss of the NY company, based in Jamaica, Queens, they controlled the cargo for JFK. The cocky-as-fuck New Yoiker who was sent to the UK to open their operation there led me in to the big guy's office and was meek as fuck. All very odd.

New Yoiker

Yawka, please.

Lovely stuff. I love the old pictures of them outside social clubs. Always one in a tracksuit.

That donnie brasco interview is brilliant peetee

It is interesting. No guys in track suits around here though, which is a curious detail. There were enough goons when I were a lad but it was an unusual neighborhood for a made man to live in.

Last edited:

Petee - watched so many of these damn interviews now, and some of them are pretty captivating. but this guy made my blood run cold. they must be peppered with true psychopaths and this guy must be up there in regards the most chilling "real deal" mobsters i've seen out of the 8 or so interviews.

ref you because you might like it with all the NYC references/neighbourhoods etc he mentions.

Petee - watched so many of these damn interviews now, and some of them are pretty captivating. but this guy made my blood run cold. they must be peppered with true psychopaths and this guy must be up there in regards the most chilling "real deal" mobsters i've seen out of the 8 or so interviews.

ref you because you might like it with all the NYC references/neighbourhoods etc he mentions.

thanks for that, will watch it.

i've known a couple of people to be in the mob, as described above, but a million new yorkers could say that and i have no special knowledge. i have read there there are people in the mob who even other mobsters think are violent sickos.

on the captivating side, have you read this? he's a very quick and obviously smart guy. he also did a string of killings and when given a second chance went into drug dealing.

still regularly falling down NYC cosa nostra rabit holes and this is the best bit of footage you will likely get of the mob in their natural habit, ime. The Gambino family, entering and exiting their HQ the Raven Social Club. special chilling mention to Peter Gotti offering an ice cream lol.

anyway, I know there's a thin line between interests and glamourisation, just to be clear - they are arseholes in the extreme. but still, i can't look away :D

might of interest, here it is:

edit to add i love teh look of that neighbourhood, what an insight into a slither of NYC back in teh 80s. no hipsters, no gentrification, no brunching yuppies.

I know a woman who claims she used to work in a restaurant that was a mafia hangout, she reckons they tend to be good tippers.

still regularly falling down NYC cosa nostra rabit holes and this is the best bit of footage you will likely get of the mob in their natural habit, ime. The Gambino family, entering and exiting their HQ the Raven Social Club. special chilling mention to Peter Gotti offering an ice cream lol.

anyway, I know there's a thin line between interests and glamourisation, just to be clear - they are arseholes in the extreme. but still, i can't look away :D

might of interest, here it is:

Who filmed this any idea?

apparently teh old woman with teh dog lived in the appartment above and the FBI bugged her apartment, whcih is what bought down the Gambinos whcih is the family being filmed.

apparently every single one of the people entering or leaving the club or the two at the ice cream van have at least one murder attached to their name

Back
Top Bottom