Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pink gets a full wheel of Brie onstage and the trend for throwing things at singers...

editor

hiraethified
1688748067465.png

What does urban think of this new trend?

2023 has been a good year for pop stars being thrown things on stage. During her BST Hyde Park residency Pink received both the wheel of brie and a small bag of an audience member’s late mother’s ashes. (“This is your mum? I don’t know how to feel about this.”) Lil Nas X paused a Stockholm gig after a fan threw a sex toy mid-performance. (“Who threw their pussy on stage? What’s wrong with y’all?” was the frankly quite measured response.) Less amusingly Bebe Rexha was taken to hospital for stitches after she had a phone thrown at her on stage in New York last month, and country singer Kelsea Ballerini had to pause a gig in Idaho last week after being hit in the face with a bracelet thrown from the crowd.

They could have at least given her a wheel of nice extra mature cheddar - brie is a bit crap cheese-wise.

But its a bit weird - did this used to happen or is a new thing?

Used to be lots of cans chucked at gigs back in the day, but more in the rotten tomato get off vein.

The best one was Morrissey in Liverpool. Talk about tantrum. Not sure he's played the pool since. 🤔

Brit gives French cheese to an American?
We import 2/3rds of our cheese.
That Is A Disgrace!

Now we’re exporting the imported cheese to Pink? An American? Have you ever eaten American cheese? It’s plastic blocks of blandness. They don’t deserve any cheese. Let alone a wheel.

Wasn't he hit by a bottle of water? Not sure it will have been a gift.
There was a lot of speculation about wether it was a glass bottle but it was generally accepted that it was a plastic water bottle. There was some sort of rumour that's he'd made some unkind comments about Liverpool as well. I remember seeing a fair bit of humourus graffiti relating to the incident.

In all honesty though I'm not sure what actually happened. The echo newspaper had some very funny comments at the time.

Brit gives French cheese to an American?
We import 2/3rds of our cheese.
That Is A Disgrace!

Now we’re exporting the imported cheese to Pink? An American? Have you ever eaten American cheese? It’s plastic blocks of blandness. They don’t deserve any cheese. Let alone a wheel.
'Not all American cheeses'

I was surprised that article didn't mention the David Bowie lollipop in the eye incident - didn't he cut down on outdoor gigs after that?

Bands at the Reading festival used to get pelted with all sorts of shit all day long. I remember one of L7 throwing a used tampon back into the crowd in revenge.

i once threw a box of matches (#oldskool) at an mc, though i had been drinking a lot of special brew (#oldskool) and it was done in the spirit of enthusiasm, and i didnt acutally mean to hit anyone. he was really pissed off though. I still feel bad about it 25 years later

Last edited:
Bands at the Reading festival used to get pelted with all sorts of shit all day long. I remember one of L7 throwing a used tampon back into the crowd in revenge.
Castle Donnington

N7F5Kc.gif

SFaM1z.gif

View attachment 382273

What does urban think of this new trend?

Not sure what the "new trend" is. Chucking things at artists isn't new - is this a different type of chucking at performance artists?

Buxton in 1973, a band called Brewers Droop followed Chuck Berry. Chuck had done his contracted time to the minute, and was offski.

The crowd, expecting an encore that didn't materialise, were a tad restive. Brewers Droop (of which Mark Knopfler and Pick Withers were members) played their set in an absolute hail of beer cans. They managed to steady the crowd down with a mix of genuinely witty repartee and reasonable music. It wouldn't be overstating the circumstances to say that they prevented a riot.

I saw Wayne (as was) County & the Electric Chairs bottled off stage at Reading. 1977? 78?? Awful.

I also saw Nick Cave finish a beer and chuck the bottle into the crowd. Did someone a serious injury. Early Birthday Party days.

"Older footage of 50 Cent as he was booed off stage at the Reading Festival in England, August 29, 2004.50 was pelted with a shower of plastic bottles from the angry crowd, and even had a camping chair thrown at him, forcing the star to walk off after just twenty five minutes of his Main Stage set. 50 and his G-Unit crew were hit by a rain of bottles as they came onstage, and they even started to pick up the missiles and hurl them back towards the front rows."

Back
Top Bottom