Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Picture taken at passport control

ddraig

kicking against the pricks...
Returned from trip to Europe and was questioned at passport control

Also a picture(s) taken by a big camera next to the person in booth which went up and down attached poles a bit before taking it
Passport has couple of years left on it so wondered if was to do with that

Not seen this before, anyone else had it done?

Last couple of times i went through automated passport checkers at the airport (both in uk and in Germany) where you scan your passport and then a camera takes your photo before it lets you through. Not sure if that is same thing as you had though?

Reactions: Ax^
Also when i went to the USA about 6 years ago the immigration person took a photo of me (they do all non-usa citazens i think) and also took fingerprint scans.

Last edited:
Last couple of times i went through automated passport checkers at the airport (both in uk and in Germany) where you scan your passport and then a camera takes your photo before it lets you through. Not sure if that is same thing as you had though?
We were in that queue but partner couldn't get it to work so went in normal queue, I did too, did wonder if that was anything to do with it.
I should have stayed in the automated queue!

Fairly common, probably to check face matches the one on the passport like the automated lines do. Not uncommon for them to ask a few questions too - I wouldn't be too concerned.

They nearly always take your picture now. They also often 'chat' to you and will ask innocuous questions to see if you match your passport. I was born in Heston, between Hounslow and Southall, earlier this year the chap at Heathrow said, "Heston? The one in Kent?" - There isn't one in Kent, but a malfaiteur may answer in the affirmative and be subjected to further inquisition...

They nearly always take your picture now. They also often 'chat' to you and will ask innocuous questions to see if you match your passport. I was born in Heston, between Hounslow and Southall, earlier this year the chap at Heathrow said, "Heston? The one in Kent?" - There isn't one in Kent, but a malfaiteur may answer in the affirmative and be subjected to further inquisition...

I was born in croydon (parents moved while i was still a baby) and I am not sure exactly which county croydon is in so that's me fucked then.

We were in that queue but partner couldn't get it to work so went in normal queue, I did too, did wonder if that was anything to do with it.
I should have stayed in the automated queue!

The automated ques only work with the newer biometric passports. If you passport is an older one and hasn't got the face geometry thing it might be because of that. They will be adding the scan of your face to your passport file.

If your passport hasn't got that little square on it it won't work in the gates.

Attachments

• passport-epa.jpg
    passport-epa.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 6
I was born in croydon (parents moved while i was still a baby) and I am not sure exactly which county croydon is in so that's me fucked then.

County London

Surrey, don't you know.

Are these camera things taking pictures or are they just scanning/comparing to passport? Every time I return through gatwick,
I am never allowed through, I always end up seeing the officials!

A lot of those e gates have trouble with different passports.

With my old one (pre-2017) I always sailed through no worries. As soon as I got the new one, it refused to recognize it every time. I noticed this was a trend with anyone with a new-ish passport. They seem to have upgraded the machines now and they work with the new ones.

I once got stuck inside an e-gate in Dublin airport. The software crashed mid scan and I could't enter or leave as there were glass gates stopping me in either direction. Had to wait for an official to override it. Felt like I was stateless for 5 minutes.

Are these camera things taking pictures or are they just scanning/comparing to passport? Every time I return through gatwick,

I think they scan and compare it to passport but i guess it is possible they store the photo taken as well.

I think what causes issues for me is that i didn't wear my glasses in my passport photo but normally i am wearing them going through the machine.

Surrey, don't you know.

Scanning essentially. They take a geometric shape of the features of your face from your photo that's imprinted in the passport, so they scan to see if it matches.

Read in China they're now testing hair for drug use and you can be prosecuted retrospectively even if you took them somewhere it was legal.

Is it not possible that someone with a dim memory of passing the Heston services on the southern chunk of the m25, just called the wrong county?

Back
Top Bottom