Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Photographers’ Gallery, Ramillies St, London W1

That's that little road that Sky photo lab was/is on isn't it?

I know they've been trying to be under one roof for years & years & whist I'm certain the new space is an improvement space & gallery wise, I'll miss the old place.

The new gallery on Ramillies Street is going to close again in a couple of years (if it raises the £15.5m it wants) to redevelop the building with a couple of extra floors.

Have the two sites on Great Newport St closed their doors now?

I had an invite to the opening last week, I was going to take 2 clients from work, but neither of them turned up so I couldn't go. :(

Yep, they've gone. I'll miss the old cafe.

What he said.

That caff, in its unpretentious way, was extremely good value and relaxed - unlike most major art space refreshment areas, which are over-priced tat.

For instance, can't remember how much the coffee was, but you could get a really good, freshly-made, brown bread tuna bap for £1.75. Try that anywhere else in the West End. Or even Zone 3 for that matter.

Fortunately, it's moving lock stock and barrel to the new place, the girl behind the counter told me last time I was in there.

I will slightly miss the spacious toilet at the end of a long corridor with lock easily undone by toddler who is just out of eye-range :oops::D

Always added a mild frisson to proceedings.

Oh dear, I don't really like change to things that have been around for a long time. Still I am glad this thread has been done because I might have been looking in Great Newport Street for the two old sites two doors away from each other and wondering what had happened. May the Photographer's Gallery go from strength to strength.

What he said.

That caff, in its unpretentious way, was extremely good value and relaxed - unlike most major art space refreshment areas, which are over-priced tat.
The bloke who runs it is a lovely fella. The cakes are made by his wife and the banana cake is fucking delicious!

I like the new site a lot. It makes much more sense to have all the galleries under one roof. Although the food was up to the usual fine standard, the cafe worryingly looked a little short of seating space.

photographers-gallery-11.jpg

photographers-gallery-15.jpg

photographers-gallery-10.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/london/photographers-gallery.html

The new galleries themselves are fine.

What I don't like, which is not their fault so much, is the location.

Gt Newport Street was a great place to pop into to kill 20 mins, or wait for someone, or just escape from the Tottenham Court Road madness.

Being halfway down Oxford Street is a lot less of a 'pop in' destination and a lot more of a 'destination destination' - there must be a lot of people, like me, who can't help but use TCR/Covent Garden/Soho, but will avoid Oxford Street unless absolutely necessary.

Well, you can always get to the gallery via thr back streets of Soho rather than risk the madness of Oxford Street, but the old location was definitely better.

One of the factors in their move was the fact that Sky Photographic was opposite. Sadly that's now been turned into what looks like a gay gym.

The location map which appears on the link on editor's post #10 has the Photographer's Gallery in Wardour Mews which is wrong and a few streets East and South of its actual location in Ramillies Street. I found that by chance while looking to find the nearest tube station, which is Oxford Circus.

The location map which appears on the link on editor's post #10 has the Photographer's Gallery in Wardour Mews which is wrong and a few streets East and South of its actual location in Ramillies Street. I found that by chance while looking to find the nearest tube station, which is Oxford Circus.
Arse! That's what Google gave me for their post code.

Google Maps still thinks the Photographer's Gallery is in Great Newport Street. That is if a map and database can think. I expect some overworked computer nerdat Google headquarters is working on it as we speak. EDIT: According to the Website the post code is W1F 7LW

Went there today to see the Roger Mayne exhibition - some great street photography from 1950s and early 60s west London, Sheffield and Leeds.

Houses that were then 'slums' and were knocked down for modern estates, which would now be worth millions if they had been refurbished. The contrast between the big dilapidated three-storey Victorian houses, which would have housed several families, and the plush stuccoed villas of west London today is stark.

On a lighter note it brought back to me how much 80s fashion was influenced by the 50s!

Highly recommended.

Some great stuff here:

View attachment 381187

I went to see the exhibition on Monday, excellent work, loved it!

Back
Top Bottom