Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Photo books (portraiture, landscapes, wildlife, social commentary, street)

stethoscope

Having to shake off an unfortunate past reputation as 'coffee table books' amongst those that were less interested in the content of them rather than just being 'seen' to have certain ones on display, photo books now enjoy their deserved place on peoples shelves.

Heres some of mine that I love :cool:

Spraycan Art (1987) - Henry Chalfont & James Prigoff
Chalfont and Prigoff put out the first book to record early New York urban graffiti and street art in 1984 - particularly given its transient nature. I picked up this copy in 1990 from Camden, and it follows the spread of the scene to Europe, and amongst that the UK with artworks from Massive Attack's 3D and a pre drum'n'bass Goldie...

spraycanart.jpg

Walk on the Wildside (1995) - Jeanette Jones
Although Nan Goldin is most celebrated for her portraits capturing 1990s drag and trans people, Jeanette Jones was an Essex housewife that discovered photography and a visit to Madame JoJo's led to a journey of discovery for her and her work. Having ventured onto the London scene in the late 1990s, and had the opportunity to meet at least of the one persons featured in this book, it holds a special place...

walkonthewildside.jpg

Happydaze (2011) - Samantha Williams
Williams first took her camera out in 1989, capturing the heady acid house raves and revellers in warehouses and fields. Finally after 20 years, they saw the light of day in this book. This is a personal account through the early 1990s which provides something different to the now ubiquitous images and narratives that have been published time and time again, and for that reason, holds something more pertinent...

happydaze.jpg

Exist to Resist (2017) - Matthew Smith
This started as a crowdfunder, resulting eventually in a stunning hardback of Bristol-based Smith's early-mid 1990s free party and protest photos leading up until the impact lf the Criminal Justice Act. As someone who by this time was raving regularly and immersed in the scene including attending the CJB demo's, this really evokes strong emotions...

existtoresist.jpg

The Man with the Golden Shutter (2023) - Normski
Norman Anderson started to take photos of the 1980s hip hop and fashion scenes, capturing some of the earliest emerging stars for magazines and record artwork. I don't think I'm alone in that my first encounter of Normski was on 'youth TV' such as Dance Energy, and I was unaware until some years later just what an important part he had played as a photographer. Some fantastic pictures in this, from Public Enemy to Demon Boyz...

normski.jpg

History of the East End (2024) - Chris Dorley-Brown
Dorley-Brown has been a highly regarded photographer and filmmaker since the 1980s, particularly known for his documenting a changing Hackney on his flickr. Having released a number of more focused photo books including The Corners, I had communicated with him a few years back to suggest one that represented broader Hackney and East London past and present. Whether that made a difference or not, earlier this year a small publishing house decided to crowdfund such a book...

eastendlondon.jpg

What are you favourites? Any subject, era!

The Creation by Ernst Haas

1000001489.jpg

This book literally changed my life. Back in the early 1970s I had just started on a fine art painting course at Norwich Scool of Art and came back to London for the weekend to stay with a friend who lived near Crystal Palace. He'd just got this book out of the library. It blew me away. I'd always been into photography (I'd had a camera since I was 9 and used to develop my own prints with my dad on the dining room table with all the curtains pulled). When I got back to Norwich I looked into what photography courses were available and applied to get on the course at the London College of Printing. Luckily I was accepted and spent the next three years at the Elephant and Castle and then went on to a career in photography. None of this would have happened if I hadn't seen this book.

Watching My Name Go By was the first photo book on graffiti that I remember.

1000001490.jpg

It was published in 1974 while I was still at the LCP. It made a big stir when it came out. It's mainly about tagging on the New York subway. It's out of print now and second hand copies in paperback go for £150 upwards, and a lot more for hardback. I wish I still had my copy.

Not really a photo book I think but I had a copy of Martin Amis' Space Invaders book in the 80s and loved the pictures of video arcade culture.
1728834339742.png

Last edited:
I’ve got more of these than I remembered. These two regularly get pulled out to show to visitors as it kinda explains the area.

IMG_2308.jpegIMG_2309.jpeg

Andy was a neighbour and was just one of those very sociable people who could get photos of people and places other people couldn’t.

He kept busy after moving out of Hackney too.

IMG_2317.jpegIMG_2318.jpeg

This one is new. Neil has been going ages though. He learned photography at a workshop at Centerprise while at school. I met him briefly some years ago and he is a top guy.

Back
Top Bottom