Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pentax 17 - a new, half frame film camera for the Instagram age

It's a bold move by Pentax, and although it's not something I'm likely to buy, it's already sold out just about everywhere (priced at £499).

View attachment 430842

Review here: Pentax 17 Camera Review: A Modern Wonder

I got a cheap half frame point and shoot for my bday last year. was excited to use it as I assumed the prints would have two half frame shots side by side and thought you could create some interesting juxtapositions etc. so I out a lot of thought into taking my pictures in pairs. sadly the person printing the images said that wasnt possible (or maybe he just cba).

interesting that that review mentions lomography. ive just picked up my old fisheye of theirs which i haven't used in about 13 years and forgot how much fun it was to play around with!

I actually managed to get one of these as I love half frame - very nice little camera, compact though not quite pocket sized, super light, feels professionally made. I like that it has a winder which is both quieter than an motor and you can rest your thumb on it. Of course I haven't finished even a roll of 24 (48) yet - I plan to do so at Pride.

It doesn't have much in the way of manual control but it's clearly a snapper, old compacts rarely had manual either past a certain period either. Hasn't bothered me so far. It's got a +/-2 compensation dial anyway.

I actually managed to get one of these as I love half frame - very nice little camera, compact though not quite pocket sized, super light, feels professionally made. I like that it has a winder which is both quieter than an motor and you can rest your thumb on it. Of course I haven't finished even a roll of 24 (48) yet - I plan to do so at Pride.

It doesn't have much in the way of manual control but it's clearly a snapper, old compacts rarely had manual either past a certain period either. Hasn't bothered me so far. It's got a +/-2 compensation dial anyway.
If you watch some of the review videos you can get a sort of manual control with a bit of bodging with various 'wrong' settings - I remember with my old XA I could get a manual speed of 1/60 by selecting the flash when it wasn't attached. :)

I'll look forward to seeing some of your results!

Back
Top Bottom