Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question PC showing tiny download speeds compared to phone or other PC

TopCat

Putin fanboy
So a new fibre broadband installed. 150mbs shown on connected phones, laptop but not the PC. The PC is showing 13mbs download and 20mbs upload.

It’s a decent but new to me PC. Decent RAM and that.

Any ideas? Only running windows security. Nothing else.

So a new fibre broadband installed. 150mbs shown on connected phones, laptop but not the PC. The PC is showing 13mbs download and 20mbs upload.

It’s a decent but new to me PC. Decent RAM and that.

Any ideas? Only running windows security. Nothing else.
How are you connecting? WiFi or cable? If Wifi, try and plug a cable in to your router and see if that improves it. If cable, can you try another patch lead?

Cable is always a shitload faster than WiFi however WiFi speeds vary a lot. If it's a new router it might be operating on several frequencies and you could be binding to the 2.4Ghz by default.
Click on the little box in the bottom right and select WiFi when it pops up. That lists all WiFi in range so if there are two with almost identical names then they're the same device on different frequencies hopefully they will have picked obvious names but if they haven't then the last letter might a clue. a is 5Ghz, b and g are 2.4Ghz and n is both. Click disconnect on the one you're connected too and try another.

Cable is always a shitload faster than WiFi however WiFi speeds vary a lot. If it's a new router it might be operating on several frequencies and you could be binding to the 2.4Ghz by default.
Click on the little box in the bottom right and select WiFi when it pops up. That lists all WiFi in range so if there are two with almost identical names then they're the same device on different frequencies hopefully they will have picked obvious names but if they haven't then the last letter might a clue. a is 5Ghz, b and g are 2.4Ghz and n is both. Click disconnect on the one you're connected too and try another.

It's not always the case. I've three 3 WiFi 6 access points across my house and there's not a huge difference in wired and wifi speed.

It's not always the case. I've three 3 WiFi 6 access points across my house and there's not a huge difference in wired and wifi speed.
That the latest shiny 6Ghz whizz giggery then? Never encountered one myself but I hear they can do 200mbps which is faster than my 120mbps broadband. What are they like for reliability?

That the latest shiny 6Ghz whizz giggery then? Never encountered one myself but I hear they can do 200mbps which is faster than my 120mbps broadband. What are they like for reliability?

No 6Ghz is WiFi 6e. I've got slightly older ones, but can still pull down the 800Mbps from my broadband. Even my old WiFi 5 AP could get the 200Mbps of the internet in my old house.

I've found it really solid. I think as important if not more so then the standard is the quality of the kit your using and how it's placed. I've got the APs dotted around the house on the ceiling, connected to the router via ethernet cable. There's a little controller that handles which device connects to which AP. A cheap router/ap stuck behind the sofa where the internet enters the house probably won't be performing as well when you are upstairs.

Back
Top Bottom