Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Building PC. Baffled by power connectors.

As someone was kind enough to "like" one of my earlier posts just now, I thought I'd give you lovely people an update.

I finally managed to get my PC working to full spec only yesterday. When I say "full spec" I mean with all the RAM installed.

I actually got it running 2 weeks ago but only with half the RAM. And then I was a bit too busy to transfer everything from old PC to new PC. So I really only started to use it in anger on Monday.

Why so long? I hear you ask.

Well, it turns out that all the problems I was having were caused by ONE of the four sticks of RAM being faulty. When I finally realised, I ordered replacements. They arrived Wednesday, I hammered them in on Thursday and lo! it flies...

However, I have a sneaking suspicion I might have over-spec'd it. Given that I mostly work with Microsoft 365 or watch the occasional video the new PC doesn't seem to be breaking much of a sweat.

View attachment 378378

I mean we spec those chips for new office desktops which I think is hilarious as they're monsters really. 6 cores. Can do 4k gaming with the right card. I've been running a small homelab with multiple VMs on a Gen 9. My partner still uses a 4th gen. It's got a 4k display on it and nothing about it feels slow for what she uses it for.

What on earth made you buy 64GB of RAM? The only way I can make my desktop of a similar spec use more then 16GB is running VMs on Hyper V and the odd game.

As someone was kind enough to "like" one of my earlier posts just now, I thought I'd give you lovely people an update.

I finally managed to get my PC working to full spec only yesterday. When I say "full spec" I mean with all the RAM installed.

I actually got it running 2 weeks ago but only with half the RAM. And then I was a bit too busy to transfer everything from old PC to new PC. So I really only started to use it in anger on Monday.

Why so long? I hear you ask.

Well, it turns out that all the problems I was having were caused by ONE of the four sticks of RAM being faulty. When I finally realised, I ordered replacements. They arrived Wednesday, I hammered them in on Thursday and lo! it flies...

However, I have a sneaking suspicion I might have over-spec'd it. Given that I mostly work with Microsoft 365 or watch the occasional video the new PC doesn't seem to be breaking much of a sweat.

View attachment 378378

Been there, done that, RAM is quite cheap (in comparison to other components) and I've found you're more likely to get a faulty RAM stick purchased as new than any other component - glad you were able to get to the bottom of it!
I've done the swapping out RAM and returning to manufacturer a few times.

I mean we spec those chips for new office desktops which I think is hilarious as they're monsters really. 6 cores. Can do 4k gaming with the right card. I've been running a small homelab with multiple VMs on a Gen 9. My partner still uses a 4th gen. It's got a 4k display on it and nothing about it feels slow for what she uses it for.

What on earth made you buy 64GB of RAM? The only way I can make my desktop of a similar spec use more then 16GB is running VMs on Hyper V and the odd game.

To be fair his system appears to be using 17gb in that screenshot. Chrome? How many tabs did you have open a_chap ? :hmm:

I generally have four instances of Chrome open with different profiles (my usual profile, my user account at work, my admin account at work, and my fake profile for sites I don't trust) and usually have a dozen or more tabs open in each.

1686399673806.png

Edited to add: the toolbar of a busy person. Or a lazy person.

1686400132129.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom