Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Paul Ryder

RD2003

Got a really fucking shitty attitude
Surprisedf no RIP thread, as far as I can see.

Paul worked with my brother at the central Manchester Post Office circa 1981-2, when they were 16-17. So did Shaun for a while.

Iirc, they delivered telegrams all over town. I can imagine how many ended up undelivered... Incredible to think telegrams were still 'a thing' back then. We all grew up in what surely must now qualify as a different era.

If PR's musicianship was as good as contemporaries and others are saying now that he's dead, it's a pity this seemed to go largely unnoticed at the time. But I only ever liked the 'Bummed,' album, 'Step On' and 'Kinky Afro.'

RIP Paul.

A German friend of Mrs RD whose parents hailed from Leipzig and emigrated to the West, and who herself went over the border several times to see family as a child, said that when she came to study in Manchester in the winter of 1981, she was strongly reminded of East Germany. I think she was only half-joking. It was a world away from how Manchester's publicity chiefs now like to present the city.

Last edited:
Poor Karl Denver. I remember reading he got pneumonia after filming that video, and was never the same again. He was. iirc, laid to rest in Blackley cemetery, where my maternal grandparents were buried. RIP to him also.

A German friend of Mrs RD whose parents hailed from Leipzig and emigrated to the West, and who herself went over the border several times to see family as a child, said that when she came to study in Manchester in the winter of 1981, she was strongly reminded of East Germany. I think she was only half-joking. It was a world away from how Manchester's publicity chiefs now like to present the city.

Manchester certainly was like the DDR if people were routinely using telegrams in the 1980s. I received a telegram in this country in 1984 -- ironically from Leipzig -- and was a bit nonplussed, as nobody I knew had ever seen or sent one. When I actually got to Leipzig, I found that they were used all the time, because nobody had phones. In the UK it was a bit of a faff to get a phone, and you might have to wait a while, and some people didn't have one at all, but it wasn't quite so bad. But even the phoneless of this country didn't send telegrams, at least where I was.

Manchester certainly was like the DDR if people were routinely using telegrams in the 1980s. I received a telegram in this country in 1984 -- ironically from Leipzig -- and was a bit nonplussed, as nobody I knew had ever seen or sent one. When I actually got to Leipzig, I found that they were used all the time, because nobody had phones. In the UK it was a bit of a faff to get a phone, and you might have to wait a while, and some people didn't have one at all, but it wasn't quite so bad. But even the phoneless of this country didn't send telegrams, at least where I was.
I used to send telegrams home from Moscow in the early '90s.*

I never sent one or personally knew anybody who received one in the UK. But they were definitely still in use as the seventies turned into the eighties. Maybe they were usually sent from abroad. I remember my brother talking about delivering one to Christopher Quinten, who played Ivy Tilisley's son in Coronation Street. Think he delved into his pocket and gave my brother a pound note (!) as a tip.

*I had an image of myself as having an Orwell or Hemingway-type foreign adventure, but every now and then I'd go to Moscow Central Telegraf and send a telegram to my mum, telling her I was OK.

In the UK it was a bit of a faff to get a phone, and you might have to wait a while, and some people didn't have one at all, but it wasn't quite so bad. But even the phoneless of this country didn't send telegrams, at least where I was.
There were things called phone boxes around in those days. :hmm:

I lived in Manchester in the mid 80s and the East of Germany in the 1990s. Two more different places on this planet it is hard to imagine.

RIP Paul (who knew the Happy Mondays were a covers band?)

I lived in Manchester in the mid 80s and the East of Germany in the 1990s. Two more different places on this planet it is hard to imagine.

RIP Paul (who knew the Happy Mondays were a covers band?)
I think it was the relentless greyness of Manchester at the time that got to her. In the late '70s and early '80s, much of it was looking pretty decrepit.

She was one of those (western) Germans who spend all their time in Britain telling you how much better it is in Germany. I've met a few like that.

Back
Top Bottom