Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Painted Bikes in Brixton

timothysutton1

Brixton resident.
Two painted bikes have appeared in Brixton, one on the new Windrush Square and one near Halfords on Effra Road. Does anyone know if these are connected to the white bike chained to the railings at the junction of Brixton Hill and the South Circular, and are there any more?

bike_sq.jpg

bike_effra.jpg

Ghost bikes are usually to commemorate the site of a cyclist killed on the road - but they're usually white aren't they?

It's the Scientology related people isn't it? I put something up in the chitter chatter thread a while ago, and AJ did a bit of googling... the one outside the tube has a web address on it.

Just bumping this, although it might be better in transport – we shall see.

This ghostbike in Streatham Hill is now looking shabby – years of road dirt and weather have taken its toll and it now looks less like a memorial than a merely abandoned bike. My question is – how do I best find out who ‘owns’ it to offer to repaint it for them. Obviously I don’t want to cause offence to the family by just rocking up and doing it – it’s not my place to do so, but I’d like to offer to.

It’s not listed on the ghostbike website, and there are no deets on the bike itself saying to whom it is a memorial, though I suspect it’s Kate Charles.

yep, that's the one.
With thanks to ChrisD here, I'm now talking to Carton Reid who's editor of a number of biking blogs/websites so hope he'll help my quest....

I saw a white van the other day going up Brixton Hill with a white bike on top. I wonder where it was off to or whether someone had repainted a bike for another victim

I saw the white bike in the pics a while ago when driving around and couldnt figure out what it was about.

I think I've seen a painted bike chained up around Brixton that had an advert for the farmer's market on it.

Back
Top Bottom