Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Paddington

everyone knows this is the real paddington :thumbs :

Paddington-Bear-Statue-Train-Station-London.jpg
When I was little, no trip to London in the school holidays was complete without stopping to say hello to Paddington at the station named after him (so I firmly believed anyway). He was in a glass case in those days and in full colour. I didn't think that keeping him in a glass box was really fulfilling the request to "Please look after this bear" to be honest but there it is. I also remember the massive HTV advert over the concourse with Bruce Hockin on it which made me think that Paddinton was really just an extension of Bristol. I still do think this tbh.

Anyway. Visiting Paddington was easily the best bit about going to London. I could happily have just boarded the next train home after that but me dad insisted on taking me to museums and the Tower as well

A misunderstanding. Like when that Japanese tourist attempted to get to Turkey and ended up in Torquay.

My brother once met a Japanese tourist at Central Station in Glasgow. It was not clear whether the guy wanted to get to Galloway (Scotland) or Galway (Ireland) and the Japanese bloke was trying to explain to the ticket office man that he was going to see the "Wall of Joy", which apparently featured in some unknown book or graphic novel or film. Much to ticket seller's relief, (and that of the queue forming behind), brother took tourist along to the tourist office, but still not much sense was made there, so he took Japanese guy to a youth hostel, checked him in there, then they had a pint together, so brother could either get to the bottom of the mystery destination, or at least give recommendations for food or stuff. Took tourist back to hostel, and there were invitations from German and Australian hostellers to join them for a night's boozing, so he might not have made much progress the next day. Well, I'm sure he got *somewhere* in the end.

Never been to Torquay, but I'd love to see its herds of wildebeest.

Jeremy Clarkson's mother put Paddington in Wellingtons so he could stand up - they had the original merchandising agreement with Michael Bond, he thought they looked good and adopted the idea.

Yeah! After I had posted about the wellies, I did Google and learned that. Thanks! :) Isn't it odd, though, how memory does silly tricks - if asked, I would probably have said that he had wellies even in the books.

I now have the slight problem that I feel besmirched by liking anything that has even the remotest connection with Jeremy bloody Clarkson. :D

When I was little, no trip to London in the school holidays was complete without stopping to say hello to Paddington at the station named after him (so I firmly believed anyway). He was in a glass case in those days and in full colour. I didn't think that keeping him in a glass box was really fulfilling the request to "Please look after this bear" to be honest but there it is....

That's adorable! :)

Anyway. Visiting Paddington was easily the best bit about going to London. I could happily have just boarded the next train home after that but me dad insisted on taking me to museums and the Tower as well

I felt that way about the London panda. Not enjoying living and working in London, I thought "Aha! Now I have seen its panda, perhaps the fates will let me move elsewhere. Or must I do other iconic things also, like eat jellied eels or something?"

Was feeling bad about not even knowing about Paddington's statue, but comrade Google tells me it was made in 2000, by which time I was no longer in London. Someone please to go and say "hello" to him and give him a marmalade sandwich on my behalf. :)

What was the London panda?

Did it swim up the Thames and die?,

Nah. To recycle an ancient joke, you can't swim up the Thames, you can only go through the motions. :)

That particular panda would have been Chia-Chia. No, I admit I didn't remember that, but had to look it up. Was in Regent's Park zoo with a female panda, but you know how bad pandas are when it comes to sex, and the female panda died, Eventually he was all alone, and then went to Mexico.

All part of the "panda diplomacy". http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4555022.stm

Of course, there were probably other ways to make friends with Edward Heath than to give him a pair of giant pandas, but that might belong on another thread.

I am now wondering where I could steal a child or two so as to give me an excuse to go and see the Paddington film.

Well, not - you know - "steal" as such. Just borrow for a little time. I would obviously return her/him/them home.

Saw it today with my little boy. I laughed out loud at lots of the gags and jokes. There were also some pretty good social messages subtly interwoven into the film that I hope kids take on board.

I'm glad I watched it.

I am now wondering where I could steal a child or two so as to give me an excuse to go and see the Paddington film.

Well, not - you know - "steal" as such. Just borrow for a little time. I would obviously return her/him/them home.

I went to see it with a mate last night without kids. It was lovely :)

There were lots of kids in the cinema and at one point in the film, where Paddington is in lots of danger, they all gasped out loud together. Julie Walters is really good in it.

Nice way to while away and hour n a bit.

:(
Not if you go in term time.
I went to see Toy Story 3 on my own, with loads of kids about. Don't remember any stares. Everyone was watching the film :)

It's okay - I was kind of joking. I'm mostly stay-at-home person and cannot afford to go to cinema anyway - was just a joke. :) Plus, I would have to bribe the hypothetical kids with lots of sweeties and choccy and stuff. Then they would be sick when I delivered them back to their parents. Then all would hate me. :(

Also, not going to venture ANYWHERE at a time when the outside world is full of mad crazy Christmas shopping peoples. :eek:

However, I really AM glad that the film sounds so good. Three cheers for Paddington! :thumbs:

Go to a later showing, the latest one last night was 8.30pm.

It's okay - it was a joke really. :) Although I do remember when my cousin (who at that time lived with us as a sister) and I went to some film that was sort of for a younger age group. We felt a bit silly, then we were quite amused to notice that chaps sitting behind us were police constables, and therefore not in the proper age group either.

Hasn't there been some sort of mini-fuss about the Paddington film having been given a "not-for-small-children" certificate or something? What's that all about?

I am utterly bemused by the idea of Paddington not being suitable for everybody, no matter how young.

If you a marmalade aficionado Britain is probably good.

Dundee might be especially good. It is one of the things that Dundee has going for it, to counterbalance the utterly dire firm of D.C. Thompson and the "Sunday Post".

(Well, there's always Michael Marra as well. He was good.)

Went with the kids on Sunday - crackin' stuff, we all loved it. Particularly as we could walk to see it now that Walthamstow finally has a cinema....

Back
Top Bottom