Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Outrageous surcharges

sparkling

Proper country now
It is bloody outrageous the extra charge they try and lump us with for deliveries. I go through all the order of the goods and right at the end they suddenly spring up with a message that because we are in the Highlands and Islands there will be a surcharge of £19.65 if you please!

We are not remote! There is good road links, rails links and even two airports within an hour of where I am. Its a con.

I get in touch with Douglas Ross and he tells me he is fighting this and sends me a link to when he was a boy asking Theresa May a question about it. When I challenge him to what he's been doing lately about it, I get an irritated don't bother me kind of response.

I know Joe Lycett did something about this a couple of years back but honestly come on! We need to rebel against this.

Is there anywhere that does not get stung for a surcharge then?
I've never had a surcharge levied - but I live in one of the main cities in England so that's not too surprising - guess most goods you order for deliver come from distribution centres nearby more or less (or by the motorway network), and Exeter is pretty out on a limb relatively speaking.

eta - except when I accidentally ordered something from the US without realising, and had to pay customs duty. :mad:

I'm learning to do that. As soon as the surcharge is added, I exit.
If you're buying The Big Stuff I've had success with Currys and JD Williams recently. JD Williams seem to do a whole range of things- white goods, beds furniture etc I've noticed a lot of people up here getting stuff from them.

Well this is imposed on us...not the fault of the brave Scots or expat English trying to order stuff online. 🤣
Wouldn't it depend on where it's coming from?

Although having said that last time I ordered some firewood there was no surcharge despite it coming from sterling to chesterfield. :hmm:

Do you know anyone in the nearest postcode area where there are no surcharges? Get it delivered there then hire a van / man to move it the few extra miles. :)

That is assuming the driver can actually find the address.

I sometimes get stuff delivered to the workshop.
Despite the postcode etc stuff still seems to go walkabout.

One of the commonest excuses is "no-one in" ...

It is unrealistic to expect companies to deliver up a track in the arse end of nowhere (which is a hell of a lot of Scotland) for the same delivery charge as a city centre.

It is unrealistic to expect companies to deliver up a track in the arse end of nowhere (which is a hell of a lot of Scotland) for the same delivery charge as a city centre.

How many stamps do people have to use when they send you a letter up in that Scotland?

How many stamps do people have to use when they send you a letter up in that Scotland?

The price of a stamp is predicated on the cost of universal delivery.

If Royal Mail didn't have a legal obligation to deliver universally for the same price, they wouldn't.

There are lots of tracks to the arse end of nowhere in Derbyshire and other places.
Delivery cost should be based on distance and weight.

I mentioned earlier that a company in Exeter want £90 to deliver 19 miles to Newton abbot. :eek:

There are lots of tracks to the arse end of nowhere in Derbyshire and other places.
Delivery cost should be based on distance and weight.

I mentioned earlier that a company in Exeter want £90 to deliver 19 miles to Newton abbot. :eek:
Up until 1840, it was. Not only that, but the receiver paid. A two sheet letter from London to Edinburgh cost 2/2d, a lot of money then.

In 1840 someone came up with the bright idea of the 'Penny Post'.

After the introduction of the Penny Post, and indeed the world's first postage stamp, the Penny Black, correspondence exploded.

The Penny Black was only in use from 6th May 1840 to Feb 1841, despite the short timeframe, 68 million were printed, using a total of 12 plates.

The final plate was Plate 11 (there was Plate 1 and plate 1a), which was actually intended for printing Penny Red stamps, but had to be used for a short time for Penny Blacks. Only 700 sheets (a sheet was 240 stamps, or labels as the marginal description described them) were printed on Plate 11, which makes it the rarest of the Penny Black plates.

The corner letters were punched into the 'Duty Plate', in other words the plates themselves had no corner letters or stars, those were added manually. As a result of this, any Penny Black plate number can be deduced from the font and the angle of the letters.

Bet you wish you hadn't mentioned weight and distance now. :D

Up until 1840, it was. Not only that, but the receiver paid. A two sheet letter from London to Edinburgh cost 2/2d, a lot of money then.

In 1840 someone came up with the bright idea of the 'Penny Post'.

After the introduction of the Penny Post, and indeed the world's first postage stamp, the Penny Black, correspondence exploded.

The Penny Black was only in use from 6th May 1840 to Feb 1841, despite the short timeframe, 68 million were printed, using a total of 12 plates.

The final plate was Plate 11 (there was Plate 1 and plate 1a), which was actually intended for printing Penny Red stamps, but had to be used for a short time for Penny Blacks. Only 700 sheets (a sheet was 240 stamps, or labels as the marginal description described them) were printed on Plate 11, which makes it the rarest of the Penny Black plates.

The corner letters were punched into the 'Duty Plate', in other words the plates themselves had no corner letters or stars, those were added manually. As a result of this, any Penny Black plate number can be deduced from the font and the angle of the letters.

Bet you wish you hadn't mentioned weight and distance now. :D
Not sure you could use a penny black to have a shed delivered. :D

Back
Top Bottom