Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Our Oceans Fishing & Pollution

Badgers

Mr Big Shrimp!
R.I.P.
Will start the thread with this one šŸ˜„

Dutch-owned trawler FV Margiris, the worldā€™s second-biggest fishing vessel, has shed more than 100,000 dead fish into the Atlantic Ocean off France.

Franceā€™s maritime minister, Annick Girardin, called the images of the dead fish ā€“ which formed a floating carpet of carcasses spotted by environmental campaigners ā€“ ā€œshockingā€ and has asked the national fishing surveillance authority to launch an investigation.

Trawlers like the Margiris use drag nets more than a kilometre long and process the fish in onboard factories, a practice heavily criticised by environmentalists

And then you could add in the "bycatch" - two stories from last year.

and this one, less certain as an example of bycatch, may have been "simple entanglement"

Will start the thread with this one šŸ˜„

The Brighton Dolphin Project has been running a campaign to highlight the death of dolphins on the Sussex coast due to these fucking super trawlers. The Margiris is usually joined by another 4 or 5 (Alida, Afrika, Willem Van Dee Zwan, Frank Bonefaas, Cornelis Vroilijk) & others, ( The local Argus reported nine at one point) trawl the south coast, & at certain times of the year the number of dead dolphins that wash ashore is shocking, as they chase the bait fish that these trawlers target, drown in the net, & then are dumped.
And before anyone pipes up & says stop eating fish, most, if not all afaik of these super trawlerā€™s haul go into pet food. The rich & powerful that own these ocean destroyers will never be banned. Sabotage is an answer.

I was working offshore Mauritania last year and was suprised to see how many European factory fishing vessels were marauding around Mauritania waters

Seems that Mauritania had a decent fish protection policy that was so successful with fish stocks high that the money people in government flogged access to Europe

No inch of the planet goes un-touched

I worked in the UAE and the government had shut down the whole national fishing fleet in the area we worked in for 5 years. They just paid off all the fishermen and fishing companies

The seas were absolutely leaping with marine life from bottom of the food chain to the top. 5 years was all it took.

I watched a programme about Jacques-Yves Cousteau last night.

He was right, c50 years ago, that man is destroying the oceans by over-exploitation and especially pollution. Same with the risk to Antarctica. He had an epiphany on the subject from the changes found as he looked at an area of the Med he had first explored when he was developing the aqualung in the 1940s which led to the starting of the Cousteau Society in 1973 ...

Back in the 1990s I would not swim in the Med on my one holiday in that area, I could see visible pollution on all the beaches we visited. The Atlantic coast - where we holidayed by several times - was a different matter, even if the water was colder, it was cleaner.

We need real marine reserves and have done for a long time. Great big bits of ocean worldwide where petrol boats can't go and no fishing is allowed.

If the rainforests are the planets lungs then the oceans are its blood and they are dying.

"'Their lobsters died,' recounts Cole, as he unloads a meagre catch from his boat, Good Intent, at Whitby fish market."

Seems they're all terribly sad and worried but happy to keep catching the last of the populations that are struggling to recover. :facepalm:
Always the case. My family, fishing for a few generations and previously owners of distant water trawlers, still believe it is their right to take as much as they want. They still argue that the CFP was wrong, and thatā€™s why it was so important to leave the EU.

This is a bit of an interest area for me as a keen scuba diver, some organisations people may be interested in.

Established in 2015, Ghost Fishing UK is dedicated to removing Abandoned, Lost and Discarded Fishing Gear (ALDFG) or ā€˜Ghost Gearā€™. The purpose is to remove, where practicable, potentially lethal entanglement hazards to marine life and scuba divers from the marine environment. The organisation consists of volunteer scuba divers, with extensive training in advanced diving practices specifically in relation to minimising impact on the environment.

Sussex Kelp Restoration Project

British Divers Marine Life Rescue

SeaSearch - a project for snorkelers and divers to survey marine life so it can be tracked and monitored

Surfers Against Sewage

Obviously there's loads more orgs, these are the ones off the top of my head pertinent to my interests. One of my dive buddies is in BDMLR, and I'd like to do the Ghost Fishing training at some point.

I couldn't see a thread on geo-engineering solutions (when will they ever achieve more than just create new problems?) but this goes equally here. Serious lack of joined up thinking that let it get even this far:

A new one to worry about

Scientists have discovered a catastrophic loss of life in our oceans, we can reveal.

An Edinburgh-based research team fears plankton, the tiny organisms that sustain life in our seas, has all but been wiped out after spending two years collecting water samples from the Atlantic.

The landmark research blames chemical pollution from plastics, farm fertilisers and pharmaceuticals in the water. Previously, it was thought the amount of plankton had halved since the 1940s, but the evidence gathered by the Scots suggest 90% has now vanished.

The scientists warn there are only a few years left before the consequences become catastrophically clear when fish, whales and dolphins become extinct, with grave implications for the planet. In the report, the researchers from the Global Oceanic Environmental Survey Foundation (Goes) state: ā€œAn environmental catastrophe is unfolding. We believe humanity could adapt to global warming and extreme weather changes. It is our view that humanity will not survive the extinction of most marine plants and animals.ā€

Yes, massive question marks over this dodgy research. The fact itā€™s only reported in the Sunday Post should be a red flag.

Tell me about it, I'm still trying to get my paper A Proof of the Aether peer reviewed and will anyone? :rolleyes:

No they won't :( the establishment msm publishers just close ranks :mad:

Once a keen fisherman Iā€™ve had a few snorkels around the coast near me in the last week. There are virtually no fish at all other than a few micro wrasse and a few small shoals of fry/sand eels

I feel like telling anyone line fishing off the rocks how utterly futile it is

Did anyone see this? 30 potentially new species discovered in the Clarion Clipperton Zone. Of course, now threatened due to drilling :(

Down on the sussex border weā€™re seeing a lot of life return since the inshore trawling banā€¦ā€¦ excitingly there seem to be a few sea horses around, and loads of porpoise.

Steve Allnutt is a guy who runs a fb group called sussex underwater on fb and is a local free diver, heā€™s starting a group cultivating kelp to replant off sussex and recruiting people to help so Iā€™m hoping to get involved in doing some planting

Back
Top Bottom