Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

On The CD Player Today (take 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided it was high time I listened to the whole of 'mellon collie and the infinite sadness'

It's still great :cool:

Mallard said:
Wooden Shjips Lp. Great stuff :cool:

Yeah it is actually. :cool: I've bought it as a christmas pressie but I'm going to have to get myself a copy.

Anyway, I've recently been listening to some early Wim Mertens, and also his later 'Der Hesse Brei' CD. Gahd it's weirdly powerful this music. Never heard anything like it before or since - shame his later stuff sounds like Nyman/Glass. :( But his earlier music... 'madness stalks the Arcadian grove' is one phrase that comes to mind. His piano and voice music is so profoundly sad, so intimately bound up in emotions of loss, grief, yearning and longing it ought to be seriously depressing, but as a previous g/f of mine once said 'it's like this ray of sunlight just suddenly breaks out in the midst of the cloud and it's alright'. It's sun-dappled music, for my most secret places of loneliness. Quite eerie at times - "there is no beauty that does not have a measure of weirdness". 'Emotional oxymoron' is the phrase I use for the feelings this music creates in me - self-contradictory emotion. Dynamic melancholy, 'happysad'. And simple and sublime and healing and utterly beautiful. I wish more people would make music of such total beauty.

MysteryGuest said:
Yeah it is actually. :cool: I've bought it as a christmas pressie but I'm going to have to get myself a copy.

Anyway, I've recently been listening to some early Wim Mertens, and also his later 'Der Hesse Brei' CD. Gahd it's weirdly powerful this music. Never heard anything like it before or since - shame his later stuff sounds like Nyman/Glass. :( But his earlier music... 'madness stalks the Arcadian grove' is one phrase that comes to mind. His piano and voice music is so profoundly sad, so intimately bound up in emotions of loss, grief, yearning and longing it ought to be seriously depressing, but as a previous g/f of mine once said 'it's like this ray of sunlight just suddenly breaks out in the midst of the cloud and it's alright'. It's sun-dappled music, for my most secret places of loneliness. Quite eerie at times - "there is no beauty that does not have a measure of weirdness". 'Emotional oxymoron' is the phrase I use for the feelings this music creates in me - self-contradictory emotion. Dynamic melancholy, 'happysad'. And simple and sublime and healing and utterly beautiful. I wish more people would make music of such total beauty.

Jesus Christ!

beard said:
Jesus Christ!

Yeah I know - got bored with people going "x by y - it's really good :cool:". Which tbh is a bit of a waste of time in my book. Which means most of this thread is a waste of time, then. Which it is. :p

felixthecat said:
And where have you been, you flat-topped old fart?

I got bored/frustrated/started shouting at the computer, so I flounced without the flounce for a couple of weeks. :)

Judas Priest - Stained Class

Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance

Judas Priest - Killing Machine

Judas Priest - Painkiller

Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution

Fight - War of Words

Rollins Band - Come In And Burn

Conflict - TNPWC

It's a busy day listening to real music made by real musicscians who play real instruments instruments, not playing other people's work. :cool:

:D

<staggers over to filing cabinet>

<glug>

I'm playing that 'I Wanna Get Next To You' from the film Car Wash now but i can't see who it's by.

who sings it?

anyone?

Orb oxbow lakes
Orb plateau
Amorphous Androgynous moutin gote
Kate Bush Running up that Hill
Placebo Pure Morning
Mercury Rev Tides Of The Moon
Kate Bush - Babooshka
Mercury Rev Chains
Placebo Pure Morning
Placebo song to say goodbye
Mercury rev The dark is rising. Happy Christmas Nan :(

Strategy - Future Rock. Awful name for a band but no complaints about the music - would have made my end of year list if I'd heard it earlier

Ricardo Villalobos - Fabric 36. I've gone back to this after seeing it featured in a couple of end of year lists. It's grown on me a bit from when I heard it earlier in the year but I still don't get what the fuss is about - certainly not compared to some of his other works. Nothing really happens at all until track 5, then the focal point is the 'interesting' 12 min track 9, but before and after that it's really nothing special.

Muse- Origin of Symmetry
Jesus and Mary Chain- Darklands
Kings of Leon- Youth and Young Manhood
Alabama 3- Exile on Coldharbour Lane
Neutral Milk Hotel- In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Dexy's Midnight Runners- Searching for the Young Soul Rebels
Air- Talkie Walkie
Orbital- Orbital II
And now Darklands again because it's great :)

John Peel - "Fabric Live.7"
Missy Elliott - "Under Construction"
"25 Years Of Rough Trade Shops"
Amon Tobin - "Chaos Theory"
The Afghan Whigs - "Gentlemen"

Venetian Snares - "Hospitality"
Mogwai - "Young Team"
The Jesus And Mary Chain - "Psychocandy"
Super Furry Animals - "Fuzzy Logic"
Babybird - "Ugly Beautiful"

Status
Not open for further replies.