Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Olympic events you didn't know existed...

Did you see one of the bits that was pulled from the Olympic Opening Ceremony?

This was volunteers practising dominoes as a celebration of the new sport but there were worries about people getting injured so pulled it at the last minute :(

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=m2n4umZYjD4

It's a bit of a shame, yes. People really won't be aware that it's a significant part of 2008 now.

There's a rumour that some things fell down at the last minute.

Here's a still picture

001109b42f9809824d550a.jpg
To express their enthusiasm for the inclusion of dominoes in the Beijing Olympics, 2008 students from the Nanchang University joined a human dominoes game in Nanchang, the capital of east China's Jiangxi Province on Tuesday afternoon.
The students, who were dressed in the colors of the Olympic rings, fell down one by one just like dominoes, Web site jxnews.com.cn reported.
Before the human dominoes fell, these students composed the Chinese Seal of the Beijing Olympics with their handprints to make a special present to the Organizing Committee of the 2008 Olympic Games.

It's a bit of a shame, yes. People really won't be aware that it's a significant part of 2008 now.

There's a rumour that some things fell down at the last minute.

yes, I don't think the Chinese realised tumbling dominoes wasn't exactly the game of dominoes that had been included in the Olympic :(

bless 'em for trying though :D

I read somewhere, I think it was in today's Guardian, that dominoes were actually banned in China as being capitalist propaganda until 1988. Not surprising that you can get three hundred to one on the Chinese team for gold there then!

Monopoly's a long way from being approved by the way, from what I can see. There have been some serious moves from the Federation, but it doesn't look like getting in for a while. There's too much money in the Scrabble bid and people say you can't ask countries to invest in two boards :(

Monopoly's a long way from being approved by the way, from what I can see. There have been some serious moves from the Federation, but it doesn't look like getting in for a while. There's too much money in the Scrabble bid and people say you can't ask countries to invest in two boards :(

I bet they play Junta well, or would given an olympian chance

I read somewhere, I think it was in today's Guardian, that dominoes were actually banned in China as being capitalist propaganda until 1988. Not surprising that you can get three hundred to one on the Chinese team for gold there then!

Yeah, but look how long they stayed away from the Olympics, and then on their return nabbed 15 golds, and wasn't that only something like 24 years ago?

I think it might be worth putting a few quid on them :cool:

and who would monitor them?

dominos and monopoly are shit anyway :mad:

we (well me for one) want to see space hopper marathons, bollocks to the 100m, and who can chuck a raw egg the furthest, and mousetrap, and toss the pancake races, and sack races, and egg and spoon races and other stuff

Back
Top Bottom