Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Old WW2 Signs

RoyReed

Must fly!
As part of my ongoing documenting of London's Ghost Signs I've recently added a few WW2 Air Raid Shelter and Emergency Water Supply (EWS) signs.

Shelter by Roy Reed, on Flickr

EWS by Roy Reed, on Flickr

You can see the ones I've photographed so far on Flickr: WW2 Ghost Signs

They're marked on this map along with all the other London Ghost Signs I know of, including a couple of WW2 signs I haven't managed to get to yet.

If anyone knows of any more I'd be very grateful if you could let me know.

The Deptford Station 'S' one has been restored / re-done

2011 photo -

When the flats that this is on the side of were being restored in 2014-15 the builder restored it by giving it a new coat of paint. Luckily it was just one of the lads who restored it so it's been done in exactly the same manner as the original sign. Much better than some professional restorations. It looks like this now.

Air Raid Shelter 'S' by Roy Reed, on Flickr

The other two in the same area are as far as I know, still original.

When the flats that this is on the side of were being restored in 2014-15 the builder restored it by giving it a new coat of paint. Luckily it was just one of the lads who restored it so it's been done in exactly the same manner as the original sign. Much better than some professional restorations. It looks like this now.

My first thought was that it had been moved to another place, as the wall didn't quite match, but the shop opposite did. If the flats got restored, that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom