Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Obsessing over celebrities may be linked to lower intelligence study suggests....

editor

hiraethified
Happily not something I have to worry about but perhaps something to cause concern for the (now booted) Cranberries megafan that was online here...

The so-called cult of celebrity has no shortage of disciples, but new research indicates that people who obsess over the lives of the rich and famous tend to achieve lower scores on cognitive tests. In the journal BMC Psychology, researchers explain that while celebrity worship appears to be linked to poorer intellectual capacities, it remains unclear if this fascination with cultural icons is a cause or consequence of these reduced skills.

The researchers recruited 1,763 Hungarian adults for an online survey, including a series of intelligence tests designed to assess two different aspects of cognition. The first of these aimed to evaluate “crystalized intelligence” by testing participants’ vocabulary, while a digit symbol test was used to measure “fluid intelligence”.

Participants also completed the Celebrity Attitude Scale questionnaire, to define their level of celebrity obsession.

Those whose interest in stars was limited to discussing the lives of celebrities with friends were categorized as “entertainment-social” fans. The next level, defined as “intense-personal”, involved compulsive thinking about celebrities. The highest level of obsession was labelled “borderline-pathological”. People in this category tended to agree with statements such as “if I were lucky enough to meet my favorite celebrity, and he/she asked me to do something illegal as a favor I would probably do it.”

The researchers also assessed each participants’ level of material wealth and self-esteem.

The researchers found that higher levels of celebrity obsession were associated with reduced scores for both crystallized and fluid intelligence and that this trend held true even when other demographic factors were taken into account.

However, linear regression models failed to indicate that celebrity worship actually caused this drop in cognitive capacities, making it difficult to discern exactly why this association exists. Speculating on the nature of this link, the study authors posit that celebrity obsession may hinder cognitive capacities due to the intense level of focus and attention required to maintain this “one-sided emotional bond”.

Fetishism of so-called stars, celebrities, or even the royal family does seem to be something done by a certain demographic.

I have sports stars etc I admire, but not anywhere near the way some do. As someone used to say to me, we all shit and piss whoever we are.

Not sure they are defining "obsessing over celebrities" in the way you think:

"The highest level of obsession was labelled 'borderline-pathological'. People in this category tended to agree with statements such as 'if I were lucky enough to meet my favorite celebrity, and he/she asked me to do something illegal as a favor I would probably do it.'

So you meet David Bowie before his death and he asks you to make a copy of his unreleased album in violation of the record company's copyright, or asks you for an eighth of skunk. To not be obsessed you'd have to say you'd tell him to get to fuck.

It’s an odd thing that for a while when you’re a teenager (or at least it was like that at my school in the early 90s) it was pretty much expected that all girls would or should be obsessed with Celebs in the pathological type of way. Like a right of passage almost. Not so with boys idk ?

Research conducted by myself found that people like me can't be arsed to read the study under discussion but still like to comment, so I'm going to say I agree with it.

My evidence is a bloke who was on the periphery of the indie/alternative music scene in the town I grew up in. Plenty of Smiths fans and Morissey clones in that crowd, but this bloke took it to the extreme. Only other music he liked was stuff endorsed by Morissey or collectively embraced by other Smiths nutters. He became a vegetarian because of Morissey and then became a right-wing flag-waver because of Morissey. He was thick as shit really. Totally incapable of independent thought.

It’s an odd thing that for a while when you’re a teenager (or at least it was like that at my school in the early 90s) it was pretty much expected that all girls would or should be obsessed with Celebs in the pathological type of way. Like a right of passage almost. Not so with boys idk ?

It's one thing to be obsessed in the teenage years, but there's something seriously amiss if you are obsessed as an adult.

I usually avoid any tv slhow with the word ‘celebrity’ in the title so I think I’m safe.

Even

DmLCrGkW4AAzNQu.jpg

None of that fancy University Challenge technical malarkey on Celebrity Squares, I've just noticed; Individual vivaria accessed by a rickety fire-escape.

Most of the reptiles and Bob himself have shed their final skin, only Anthea (I assume), and Tony left. Although perhaps Lord Charles is muttering to himself in his little suitcase preparing to possess the soul of who ever opens it and is foolish enough to shove their fist up his rectum.

Last edited:
Why though why is it seen as normal for teens that’s my ponderation.
That this is the reality of it has been true for as long as I can remember.

Why this should be so is much tougher to understand and would make an interesting psychological discussion from anyone with any knowledge on this to impart.

There have been occasions - in the 60s with so called Beatlemania, and in the 70s with the likes of the Osmonds and Bay City Rollers - when the hero worship went so far off the scale that it amounted to mass hysteria.

This is surely hard to understand logically and would require some measure of insight into the psychology of what was going on.

Happily not something I have to worry about but perhaps something to cause concern for the (now booted) Cranberries megafan that was online here...

Got to say I have my doubts about a study which attracted its participants solely from a popular news site, there seems to me a possible element of teleology in it.

Back
Top Bottom