NZ or AUS - which one?

NZ or AUS - which one?

• New Zealand

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • Australia

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters

Ĝasper

Where would you go first, and why? Able to go on a working tourist visa. Oz is bigger, and likely easier for me to get work in my field there. But not keen on pesty insects and tories. NZ seems great all round, but have heard of people who found it lonely and despite travelling half way round the world so similar to Scotland.

Depends massively which bit of either you end up. Obviously both have lovely idyllic places and both have backwater shitholes. Will you need to be in a city or could you be somewhere more rural? If you like outdoor stuff; kayaking, walking, biking, etc. then I'd say NZ for sure though. It's also smaller, friendlier, easier climate to deal with. Will write more if you put down more info!

I've only been to Melbourne, Alice Springs and Tasmania (which I'd put in a different category than mainland Australia) and some rural areas in Australia, but have seen much more of NZ.

Oz fan here, I was struck by how different one place seemed from the other, spent time in Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns, Byron Bay and along Gold Coast and came back thinking there was something for everyone there.

NZ seems, on the surface, like a little bit of England - even England in the 70s (without the cool industrial action, or IRA bombings). But underneath that level, it really is its own thing.

I had a short-term contract there in 2008. I'd go back there like a shot, if the chance came up again.

Where would you go first, and why? Able to go on a working tourist visa. Oz is bigger, and likely easier for me to get work in my field there. But not keen on pesty insects and tories. NZ seems great all round,

Only been to Australia, against my will, but made to go there because it's the only way from South America on a RTW ticket. Bloody loved it, even Queensland. In fact, in Queensland, I was further sold on it when watching the local news reporting a drunk driver story who crashed into a house and you know the little pic and words they have over the newsreaders left shoulder? It said "Bloody Idiot".

Had a good kiwi friend when I lived in Brixton who swore she'd never go back to NZ because of the isolation amongst right-wing dickheads. Her words.

So I'm the one who voted for Australia.

It's a long flight to both countries. I went to oz in about 2008 ish and it was 7 hours to dubai then a 3 hour wait followed by a 14 hours flight to melbourne and the flight i was on was going on to NZ after the oz stop and i think that was another 3 hours :eek: :eek: :eek:

I’d say Oz. Both are eye wateringly expensive now but NZ even more so. At least in Oz there’s more and varied country to explore. NZ feels much more conservative to me, friends living there through covid say it feels like it’s gone backwards

Either really, but in hops. Say four hour maximum flight times and stop over for a few days each time. When the lottery finally coughs up, it is certainly something I'd like to do. First Class of course. :D

Even flying somewhere once first class would be nice. :)

Either really, but in hops. Say four hour maximum flight times and stop over for a few days each time. When the lottery finally coughs up, it is certainly something I'd like to do. First Class of course. :D

Even flying somewhere once first class would be nice. :)
I missed my connection at Los Angeles -probably the worst airport I've ever been in - and I was rerouted through Brisbane.

Where I was pulled out of the line, and had my jacket tested for explosives.

When I finally got to Auckland, I was told I looked like "forty miles of God help us "

Where would you go first, and why? Able to go on a working tourist visa. Oz is bigger, and likely easier for me to get work in my field there. But not keen on pesty insects and tories. NZ seems great all round, but have heard of people who found it lonely and despite travelling half way round the world so similar to Scotland.

Labour are in charge of Australia, and there really aren't that many pesky insects at all. Also huge workforce shortages.

You can 'do' NZ in a week tbh and why fly all that way to be in a similar place to where you've left.

Come to Australia, it's got it all :)

Labour are in charge of Australia, and there really aren't that many pesky insects at all. Also huge workforce shortages.

You can 'do' NZ in a week tbh and why fly all that way to be in a similar place to where you've left.

Since I met you, I've looked more closely at Australia. It is very diverse in landscape, skiing, beaches, desert - you really do have it all. The descriptions of your home region sound absolutely wonderful.

However, I would rather go to NZ :( I fell in love with the country while collecting stamps as a child. They had the most lovely scenery on their stamps.

Hubby has no interest in NZ, Australia all the way - one of his dream destinations.

We joke about me jumping out the plane to see NZ while he continues on.

As I got older, I'm willing to give Australia a chance. It would mean I could meet you and visit my mom's cousin.

We have unlimited free airplane tickets, so I may get there.

I've said I will not be travelling until the dogs die. One just did, so it is up to my Tucker-dog.

My first trip will be to the British Isles. Family and urban fb friends will be visited - that covers England, Scotland and Wales.

Last edited:
Since I met you, I've looked more closely at Australia. It is very diverse in landscape, skiing, beaches, desert - you really do have it all. The descriptions of your home region sound absolutely wonderful.

However, I would rather go to NZ :( I fell in love with the country while collecting stamps as a child. They had the most lovely scenery on their stamps.

Hubby has no interest in NZ, Australia all the way - one of his dream destinations.

We joke about me jumping out the plane to see NZ while he continues on.

As I got older, I'm willing to give Australia a chance. It would mean I could meet you and visit my mom's cousin.

We have unlimited free airplane tickets, so I may get there.

I've said I will not be travelling until the dogs die. One just did, so it is up to my Tucker-dog.

My first trip will be to the British Isles. Family and urban fb friends will be visited - that covers England, Scotland and Wales.
Wait, you get unlimited free airline tickets?!

You could have a great holiday of any duration in either but if you're going to earn a living then Australia.
This, unfortunately. I'm seeing a lot of advertising posters here in Dublin looking for health care people to go to the great Oz state of Victoria.

spring-peeper : anyone from Canada would find Aotearoa/New Zealand "exotic yet strangely familiar".

Lol. Australia has two decent cities. The rest is desolate.

Oh, and it's packed full of racists and animals that want to kill you. NZ isn't much better but basically anywhere is better than Australia so it's a low bar.

OP, Asia. That's where you want to be going.

Back
Top Bottom