Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

northumberland ?

coastal or inland fortifications ? there are plenty around dating from Roman to *almost* modern, ruins and still lived in.

Ranges from the Hadrian's Wall and associated Roman forts, past the Reivers era up to Bamburgh and Lindisfarne, which are both "habitable".

Twice a year we stay up in northumberland. Love it. Its a vast county too with so much variety. Glorious beaches, castles, lindisfarne, market towns, hadrians wall, forests, lakes, hills.
Thankfully the county's identity, accent and culture has managed to stay free from this 'geordie' shit which has plagued the north east for the last 20 years (i.e. the perception that newcastle IS the north east and that geordies are canny and all that and like drinking and shagging and partying).

Been there on holiday twice. It's excellent.

What AysaCloudsinger says is spot on. But I would add there are some great pubs and places to eat and that the lack of a formal tourist industry is a massive plus in comparison to (for example) the Lakes.

In short - go.

Camping, Youth Hostels or B&B further away and use the AD122 bus service.
I can't walk very well. We have to have a real room and use a car and even the places further away were tons of money, though tbh I don't fancy a two hour drive anyway. Your suggestions would be fine for a lot of people though, plus getting a taxi can make some places easier to visit if they're not on a bus route.

There are quite a number of small hotels in locally in Haltwhistle and Greenhead. Carlisle and Hexham are both less than half an hour away, although Newcastle / Gateshead are just about an hour.
Try out of the main summer season for a deal ...

There are quite a number of small hotels in locally in Haltwhistle and Greenhead. Carlisle and Hexham are both less than half an hour away, although Newcastle / Gateshead are just about an hour.
Ah, see, that is another thing I can't do for a couple of years; my daughter's school stuff (mocks after every half term) means I can only really go away in the summer - we'd have to do an overnight stop-off to get to Northumberland so it's not a short trip.

I did look at those areas even though for a countryside holiday a countrysideish location is really what I want. Hexham or Carlisle would have been absolutely fine but cost a fortune.

I know I'm awkward, albeit unintentionally, but it's still surprising the rates they charge, at least in the summer - more than anywhere else I've looked at, even Dorset, Cornwall, etc.

I like haltwhistle. Its not touristy at all. In fact its probably a relatively poor town.

I was born there, in Ashington, and regularly travel back to see family and friends. Lovely place. The thing i miss most is the castles and the the rocks at Cresswell, including the fossilised tree's in the cliff face.

Just got back this morning!

Dunstanburgh castle,Walked there from Craster, easy cheap parking, easy walk (2 1/2 miles), pub, ice cream van. Busy for Northumberland in August on a Sunday afternoon but not busy compared with down south. Watched a pod of dolphins for about 20 minutes from our picnic spot at the castle.
20704820725_86a6ba44cb_b.jpg

20678570686_e26e08988e_b.jpg

Beadnell Bay, as you see deserted, 7 miles of sand, once was an industrial wasteland of open cast mining now returned to nature.
20704821965_41e838fafa_b.jpg

Would recommend for holidays, but sh, don't tell everyone.

Thankfully the county's identity, accent and culture has managed to stay free from this 'geordie' shit which has plagued the north east for the last 20 years (i.e. the perception that newcastle IS the north east and that geordies are canny and all that and like drinking and shagging and partying).

I have to admit I was at first confused by the above vitriol, then i noticed they were a Sunderland AFC supporter.

For anyone else not so sad and bitter as the above poster, the local train from Newcastle to Hexham is a nice little trip along the river.

Back
Top Bottom