Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

North East Road Trip

moonsi til

worked it out now!
I’m off to Glasgow in camper on Friday then Edinburgh on Monday then back to West Mids over the week via North East England.

Suggestions please of where to visit / places to eat / to camp would be fab.

Have joined National Trust for first time ever & will be packing St Julian’s Modern Antiquarian.

When you go to Lindisfarne, take very close notice of the crossing times and how high the high tide is ... that causeway does get covered, as do some areas of what look like nicely grassed camping patches.

Rievaulx Abbey. Been meaning to go there since I was a kid. Haven't got round to it yet.

imageresizer

Hadrian's Wall - most of the central area can get very busy, but should be OK for a while yet.

Kasteale is a good café in Haltwhistle (best parking is opposite the war memorial or in the car park outside Sainsbury's) Most of the shops are shut afternoons on Wednesday & Saturday.

High Force is very impressive, but don't forget Low Force. Lots of rocks to jump about on and a nice area to walk around :)

2481401_c031a34d.jpg

rock jumping (my bold) can be great fun ...

Take extra care - some of the rocks are worn very smooth and/or be covered in algae, both of which can be incredibly slippery.
(I know because I've ended up wet or in the water more than once ! and IIRC people have been badly injured / drowned around these places)

Rievaulx Abbey. Been meaning to go there since I was a kid. Haven't got round to it yet.

Well worth it - go and ensure you take-in the Terrace on the hill behind it (NT Property) - that's where you get the "classic" view of the Abbey.

To my memory, it isn't far away from Mount Grace Priory - which is the best preserved Carthusian house in the UK and also very mich worth a visit.

This thread is making my resolve to go to Assynt next week waver. its a long time since I've spent time in the North East and I maybe have time to change my mind..!

Have now been to the wonderful Barters Books & Cragside. Currently resting legs in micro brewery in Rothbury as walked 20km today.

In Barters books there is a honesty filter coffee pot for 35p a cup & baked on site cookies & ginger parkin for 65p! Both were lush. Left with 2 books.

Have now been to the wonderful Barters Books & Cragside. Currently resting legs in micro brewery in Rothbury as walked 20km today.

In Barters books there is a honesty filter coffee pot for 35p a cup & baked on site cookies & ginger parkin for 65p! Both were lush. Left with 2 books.

Christ, this afternoon? My brother was in their this afternoon. About 2.30pm.

Am in Barter Books. Jpeg of grinning pig in shit to follow

Thanks for all the suggestions, we have had a fab time. Whitby was also far lovelier than expected.

Now heading inland, will prob stop around Harrogate tonight (hopefully free camping & be near a pub) then do last leg tomorrow.

Hope your bro is having a fab time planetgeli

And now home - got in about 6.30pm via a final NT house & stone circle at Arbor Low. In all we did 900 miles, thankfully camper runs on LPG & petrol. Fuel was around £300 but we saved by wild camping & only ate out properly once bar when we went to chip shop.

It has been a fab week, we have seen some beautiful parts of the UK & had good chats with very friendly folk- esp the NT volunteers.

Thanks again for all your suggestions - being able to post threads like this is why I love urban75.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom