Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Non-clothing charity donation bins in Brixton?

steameddoms90

Hi all

I'm in the process of getting rid of various bits and bobs as I prepare to move flat - not great timing, I know. I know of a couple of clothing donation bins - one on Tulse Hill Estate very close to where I live, another outside Tesco on Acre Lane - but was wondering if anyone knows of any donation bins that take other items, such as books, DVDs, and other bric-a-brac?

All of the stuff I'm trying to get rid of is perfectly decent and in full working order etc., so it'd be a massive shame to just bin it, but with charity hops not open at the mo I'm struggling to off-load the things I have and don't really have time to put it on eBay etc.

Any help gratefully received!

Not quite what you are after but Currys take all electrical items for recycling - down to cables and wires. You just drop it by the information desk. Whether they have changed this for this lock down I couldn't say.

Hi all

I'm in the process of getting rid of various bits and bobs as I prepare to move flat - not great timing, I know. I know of a couple of clothing donation bins - one on Tulse Hill Estate very close to where I live, another outside Tesco on Acre Lane - but was wondering if anyone knows of any donation bins that take other items, such as books, DVDs, and other bric-a-brac?

All of the stuff I'm trying to get rid of is perfectly decent and in full working order etc., so it'd be a massive shame to just bin it, but with charity hops not open at the mo I'm struggling to off-load the things I have and don't really have time to put it on eBay etc.

Do you have access to a car? If so Vale Street recycling centre in West Norwood would probably be best your best bet to get rid of the vast majority (or if you don't you could get the 322 which goes right past it if you can carry it). Bear in mind you need to book an appointment currently. If not Lambeth have a page on their website that lists the various recycling points but it may be a faff.

Not quite what you are after but Currys take all electrical items for recycling - down to cables and wires. You just drop it by the information desk. Whether they have changed this for this lock down I couldn't say.

I did not know this, thanks. Any idea if they take bulbs?

Dependent on transport situation , It may be quicker to go up to Smugglers way by the river, as you can be sure they take pretty much everything (including rubbish for landfill), so you could do it all in one journey. They are open at the moment and no appointment required.

And no need to be told off by the tall chap working at Vale St who can be very possessive of his skips ;)

Sorry OP - did not mean to derail the thread with that. I know you are after somewhere that can make use of good quality items, rather than chuck / recycle them. I have a pile by my desk - gave up taking them to Oxfam as I always felt like I was putting them out. Following with interest!

Hi all, thanks for the help so far!

Didn't know about Currys so will try that when I walk past later today. Sorry for omitting it from my initial post but sadly I don't have a car. I've had a look at Lambeth's website but it's a bit tricky and seems to leave out a lot of donation banks - the Acre Lane and Tulse Hill Estate bins I mentioned in my post aren't listed there at all, for example.

Hi all

Put it on Facebook marketplace (for free) or the Facebook group Free Stuff South East London?

Hi all, thanks for the help so far!

Didn't know about Currys so will try that when I walk past later today. Sorry for omitting it from my initial post but sadly I don't have a car. I've had a look at Lambeth's website but it's a bit tricky and seems to leave out a lot of donation banks - the Acre Lane and Tulse Hill Estate bins I mentioned in my post aren't listed there at all, for example.

I might be wrong but have something in the back of my mind telling me that the Acre Lane ones are charity, not council so that might be why they aren't listed...

I might be wrong but have something in the back of my mind telling me that the Acre Lane ones are charity, not council so that might be why they aren't listed...

Yeah, they're run by Chris Carey Collections, I think. Would be helpful if the council operated some sort of public database though. I mean, presumably they know the banks are on public land 😄

Every time I’ve been past the Acre Lane deposit boxes (once a week on a Wednesday) they’ve been filled to bulging overflow, with piles of extra stuff at their base. So books etc could get rain damaged. No idea when they get emptied but hopefully you’ll get there before they fill up.

Other than that, I was going to suggest Freecycle or Facebook market place for free.

You could offer on here. We have a freecycle page. Oh wait... it’s in the community boards, which you can’t access as a newb.

Maybe aqua or editor or FridgeMagnet might let you in early...?

Back
Top Bottom