Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New Yorkers reveal their colourful apartments – in pictures

from the article: i have an old-law tenement apt, but liz duffy adams has a pre-law tenement apt. you can tell by the "window" on the right hand side of the picture between the kitchen and the living room. it's not just there to provide a cute way to talk to your mate over morning coffee. (the floor looks pretty old too.) I'll wager the light for the picture is from electricity and is not coming in from outside.

/sorry, I'm a pedant when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks petee that's fascinating.

I had assumed the weird bathtub in the kitchen/diner scenario was a more modern quirk, and that the eccentric resident had removed a wall to make the apartment more open plan or something, but no:

"The entrance opened to the kitchen containing a bathtub that had a lid that could be lowered to form a working surface, alongside a sink opposite a wood-burning stove feeding into a flue. An icebox completed the appliances. Tenants usually placed a table and chairs at the angled window at the end of the narrow airshaft. Most people constructed a shelf at the kitchen window that hung out into the airshaft. During winter, food could be stored there and refrigerated without the expense of buying ice."

Thanks petee that's fascinating.

I had assumed the weird bathtub in the kitchen/diner scenario was a more modern quirk, and that the eccentric resident had removed a wall to make the apartment more open plan or something, but no:

right, it's real old design. (one of my aunts had a tiny place with the tub in the kitchen.)

d112a746345283c8464d0d05d24f519e0dd1ae64.jpg

by the same photographer, titled "Rearview, From My Apartment on East 5th Street."

Back
Top Bottom