Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New drink drive limit in Scotland from Dec 5th

Nah, typical Nazi-ish SNP and another reason why I won't vote for them.

"around one in 10 deaths on Scotland’s roads involve drivers who are over the legal limit." (from The Guardian)

So what behaviour causes the other nine deaths and how many deaths are attributable to drivers under the current limit? I suspect most accidents are caused by people who are tired behind the wheel (because they're going to work early or travelling home late from work), but that's okay because it's necessary to keep the economy going.

However, go out to, say, a rural pub and have a glass of wine or pint of beer with your dinner and be afraid, be very afraid. Also, more chance of getting caught unsuspectingly the next morning.

I'm not for pissed people behind the wheel, but there ought to be some science, evidence and consistency behind laws.

This is the main reason I'm against it.

Just wait until the new nationwide drug driving laws come in: limits on paper which no drug user will ever make sense of, just a good way to scare people into not using drugs because some can be detected in your system for days/weeks afterwards without actually having any effect.

Just wait until the new nationwide drug driving laws come in: limits on paper which no drug user will ever make sense of, just a good way to scare people into not using drugs because some can be detected in your system for days/weeks afterwards without actually having any effect.

And of course it will hit those who smoke weed the hardest. Crazy. I hardly do anything anymore (including smoke) and that could proper fuck me. :(

My employer has just brought in random testing with limits so low anyone taking solpadiene for a headache or a couple of doses of benydril will get caught for opiates.

Drink driving, there's no excuse for that though. Ever.

:rolleyes:

I'm fine with it. I'm assuming they've left it at 50mg rather than 0 to give a little bit of morning-after leeway but really, if you know you're going to be driving at 7-8am, don't drink the night before. It's not that much of a massive denial of rights :confused:

It's a bit of a ball ache though. It's not like 80mg is a huge amount of booze. We're talking about having a very quiet night at the pub and being over limit not a heavy session.

If I have one pint of beer at lunchtime it ABSOLUTELY affects my judgement. I'd feel great, mind.

The current UK limit of 80mg per 100ml of blood is Europe's highest.

A 2010 NICE review found "strong evidence" that someone's ability to drive is affected if they have any alcohol at all in their blood.

Even those with a BAC (blood alcohol concentration) of between 0.02 (20mg per 100ml of blood) and 0.05 - people who would be within the new limit - are three times more likely to die in a vehicle crash.

So the potential new rules in Scotland aren't as strict as they could be. Sweden adopted a 20mg limit in 1990 - and the number of drink-driving accidents fell.

A 1997 study on the change showed that a 20mg limit reduced fatal crashes by 9.7%, with a 7.5% reduction in all crashes.

They also found out that the lower limit reduced crashes among drivers who were the most serious drink-driving offenders - so even drivers causing accidents who were found to be far over the limit reduced after the introduction of the ban.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-29755979

My employer has just brought in random testing with limits so low anyone taking solpadiene for a headache or a couple of doses of benydril will get caught for opiates.

Drink driving, there's no excuse for that though. Ever.

I'd be fucked if they did drug tests at work - given that I must have a fairly constant level of codeine in my blood. :D

I agree with the limit being reduced - a good decision, and one I'd like to see replicated throughout the UK. Ideally it should be zero or as close to it as possible.

it's a tough one, because on one side you've got the safety of the general public along with all of the evidence that shows how judgement becomes impaired and reaction times reduced etc, and on the other side you've got fucking idiots.

It's a bit of a ball ache though. It's not like 80mg is a huge amount of booze. We're talking about having a very quiet night at the pub and being over limit not a heavy session.

I wouldn't go out just to drink and then drive home, but I really don't see the problem with having a pint of beer or a couple of small glasses of wine over a leisurely dinner or lunch, then driving. Of course, if I felt tipsy at all after this, I'd wait longer.

This is the main reason I'm against it.

So if you are over the limit "unsuspectingly the morning after" a massive booze binge, you are more able to drive than if you are equally over the limit by having a a drink or two and driving straight after?

So if you are over the limit "unsuspectingly the morning after" a massive booze binge, you are more able to drive than if you are equally over the limit by having a a drink or two and driving straight after?

Except it's not a massive booze binge. Alcohol can be quite slow to metabolize. I think the current limit is about right. It's not actually that high. You say a drink or two, for most people that's already to much as it currently stands.

but I really don't see the problem with having a pint of beer or a couple of small glasses of wine over a leisurely dinner or lunch, then driving.

Apart from the fact that your judgement and reactions would be impaired while you're in control of a very heavy moving object, presumably?

Back
Top Bottom