Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Neo-liberal perspectives on the welfare state

tar1984

write a song, i'll sing along
Can anyone recommend books on neo-liberal, new-right etc, academic writings on the welfare state. I know Hayek, Mead and Murray are some of the most prominent, but I'm not sure which books of theirs are most important. Also, any other recommendations on this sort of material would be really appreciated.

I'm doing a dissertation on attitudes towards the welfare state, so I have the joy of reading a lot of this stuff in the near future.

Can anyone recommend books on neo-liberal, new-right etc, academic writings on the welfare state. I know Hayek, Mead and Murray are some of the most prominent, but I'm not sure which books of theirs are most important. Also, any other recommendations on this sort of material would be really appreciated.

I'm doing a dissertation on attitudes towards the welfare state, so I have the joy of reading a lot of this stuff in the near future.

if you're doing a dissertation your supervisor should have suggested a couple of books to you.

if you're doing a dissertation your supervisor should have suggested a couple of books to you.

He suggested one or two, but not very many. And he's asked me to do an indicative bibliography so I need a few more.

Perhaps it's because I'm just at the proposal stage, maybe once the proposal is accepted I'll get a few more suggestions.

He suggested one or two, but not very many. And he's asked me to do an indicative bibliography so I need a few more.

Perhaps it's because I'm just at the proposal stage, maybe once the proposal is accepted I'll get a few more suggestions.
if he's suggested a couple then get to the library and look for other books by the same authors and browse the shelves around the books he's suggested. look at some of the bibliographies in the articles on the google scholar link. and have a look perhaps at a copy of diana ridley's 'the literature review: a step by step guide for students' or chris hart's 'doing a literature review'. there's only so much people here can do for you, if you want to get anywhere with this you'll have to do the work yourself. while other posters may spoonfeed you a bit more, you should have a go yourself. another title which may be useful to help you research is the oxford guide to library research by tom mann. do it yourself this time and you'll be able to do it yourself next time rather than relying on other people's knowledge.

It's not like I haven't done any work myself, I already have a list of references and I've done a preliminary lit review for my proposal. It's not hard to find material by searching the library catalogue and general googling around. I just thought this thread might help in getting a few more sources before I hand this in tomorrow.

Looking at the bibliographies on the google scholar articles is a helpful tip, thanks for that. I'll check out those lit review guides too.

F A Hayek, 'The Road to Serfdom'
F A Hayek, 'The Constitution of Liberty'
F A Hayek, 'Law Legislation and Liberty' (Vols 1-3)
Ludwig Von Mises, (see here: http://mises.org/efandi/ch35.asp)
Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
Milton Friedman, Capitalism and Freedom
Robert Nozick, Anarchy, State and Utopia
James Buchanan, Cost and Choice: An Inquiry into Economic Theory
James Buchanan, Public Finance in Democratic Process
James Buchanan, Democracy in Deficit: The Political Legacy of Lord Keynes
David Kelley, A Life of One’s Own: Individual Rights and the Welfare State

Would be a start :)

F A Hayek, 'The Road to Serfdom'
F A Hayek, 'The Constitution of Liberty'
F A Hayek, 'Law Legislation and Liberty' (Vols 1-3)
Ludwig Von Mises, (see here: http://mises.org/efandi/ch35.asp)
Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
Milton Friedman, Capitalism and Freedom
Robert Nozick, Anarchy, State and Utopia
James Buchanan, Cost and Choice: An Inquiry into Economic Theory
James Buchanan, Public Finance in Democratic Process
James Buchanan, Democracy in Deficit: The Political Legacy of Lord Keynes
David Kelley, A Life of One’s Own: Individual Rights and the Welfare State

Would be a start :)

TBF, the Nozick may make him want to defenestrate himself, and the Friedman is likely to make him fall asleep, his prose is so boringly-written.

TBF, the Nozick may make him want to defenestrate himself, and the Friedman is likely to make him fall asleep, his prose is so boringly-written.

I've got to make a dirty confession: I love the Nozick book! Not the conclusions he arrives at obviously, but as a read I think its great, full of lots of fun utility monsters, experience machines, ray guns, clicking fingers that kill 10,000 cows and other sorts of craziness. As for Friedman, he is pretty boring, but at least succinct and accessible. And compared to James Buchanan he's William fucking Shakespeare.

Back
Top Bottom