Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nasty car crash/incident on Coldharbour Lane, Fri 5th June

editor

hiraethified
Just heard an almighty crash - a car seems to have hit someone hard and the veered off and smashed hard into the wall on the corner of Valentia Place.
At least two casualties, emergency services on the ground and a lot of shouting going on (it's right next to the street drinkers spot in the middle of the Barrier Block).

Last edited:
Some guy was just pulled out of the off licence opposite and arrested and it may be a kid that got hit by the car....

Just hear an almighty crash - a car seems to have hit someone hard and the veered off and smashed hard into the wall on the corner of Valentia Place.
At least two casualties, emergency services on the ground and a lot of shouting going on (it's right next to the street drinkers spot in the middle of the Barrier Block.
one girl ok one looks worse but was conscious, driver was pinned down until police arrived seems to be calming down, they hit the wall exactly the same place as the last crash

one girl ok one looks worse but was conscious, driver was pinned down until police arrived seems to be calming down, they hit the wall exactly the same place as the last crash
Yes, I noticed that. What an unlucky wall.
There's a fire engine arriving on the scene now.

coldharbour.jpg

Any idea what happened? I saw the person on the floor moving around and trying to get up and it was upsetting to watch.

Any idea what happened? I saw the person on the floor moving around and trying to get up and it was upsetting to watch.
fire engine was to make sure the car didn't have leaking petrol, sadly the young girl (no idea of age) took a very bad smack to the head and has been rushed to Kings
I would say the girls stepped into the road and the car swerved too late but I'm guessing judging by where they've ended up
as for our wall that's the third time in the last few years, last one was 11th June 2018, we have asked the council for bollards for years and that just fob us off
one thing for certain it was yet another driver doing way above 20 mph

fire engine was to make sure the car didn't have leaking petrol, sadly the young girl (no idea of age) took a very bad smack to the head and has been rushed to Kings
I would say the girls stepped into the road and the car swerved too late but I'm guessing judging by where they've ended up
as for our wall that's the third time in the last few years, last one was 11th June 2018, we have asked the council for bollards for years and that just fob us off
one thing for certain it was yet another driver doing way above 20 mph
I heard that she was about 12/13 but didn't seem too badly hurt according to an eyewitness on the scene. I hope so.

I can't figure out where the shirtless bloke arrested in the off licence comes into all this...

And yes, the speed sure seemed over 20mph, but that's hardly unusual for this stretch.

I heard that she was about 12/13 but didn't seem too badly hurt according to an eyewitness on the scene. I hope so.

I can't figure out where the shirtless bloke arrested in the off licence comes into all this...

And yes, the speed sure seemed over 20mph, but that's hardly unusual for this stretch.
when I first saw her she looked shocked and had cuts on her face, there was another girl who got up after about 10 minutes but when I spoke to the police later to get a crime scene number I asked about her and he told me it was touch and go as she'd taken a nasty crack to the head
there wasn't a shirtless man around the scene when I was there maybe wrong place wrong time for him

when I first saw her she looked shocked and had cuts on her face, there was another girl who got up after about 10 minutes but when I spoke to the police later to get a crime scene number I asked about her and he told me it was touch and go as she'd taken a nasty crack to the head
there wasn't a shirtless man around the scene when I was there maybe wrong place wrong time for him
The same cops grabbed him from the offie when it was all going on, but maybe it was unrelated.

Please keep me posted if you hear anything back.

Its a real shame someone was injured but I contacted the police the day before about the drunken parties happening on that corner and people speeding..3rd time my wall smashed to bits. At least they removed the car today as the last time it took ages... the insurance and time to get wall rebuilt took about a year and has only just been done. Council must act and put in safety barriers and police must stop obvious drunken parties with loud music next to a main road.. this could have been prevented. Hope the injured girl gets well soon20200605_231729.jpg

Update:

Coldharbour Police tell TfL: this road needs sorting as a second car smashes into the same wall on Coldharbour Lane, Brixton

Coldharbour Police have also pointed out: No doubt you see the large numbers of vehicles double parked next to the car wash at weekends which helps neither driver/rider visibility or pedestrian safety. This needs to be enforced more. "

Those really drivers take the piss some days, completely blocking the pavements and forcing people into the street.

just sent an email to Helen Hayes and the three Coldharbour councillors with pics to see if they can make something happen

Coldharbour Police have also pointed out: No doubt you see the large numbers of vehicles double parked next to the car wash at weekends which helps neither driver/rider visibility or pedestrian safety. This needs to be enforced more. "
One wonders what the police are for.....it’s good for their statistics, they detect a crime and solve it almost immediately. I think you get points for obstruction, too.
Tower Hamlets we’re pretty good when I sent photos Of a van parked on a zebra zig-zag, they had the notice of prosecution out before the end of the call. (I frequently helped a blindneighbour and her guide dog actress that crossing)

They must have been travelling quite quickly to cause that much damage.

Did their airbags deploy?

the airbags did deploy in both crashes, my neighbour who heard more of it than I did (I just heard the smash) thought that the driver had swerved and accelerated after hitting the girl, not to get away but hit the wrong pedal
also Scarlett O'Hara replied and promised to get in touch with the transport team to put bollards on the corner and to try and do something about the other problems

Back
Top Bottom