Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My phone is making a sound I don't recognise

Throbbing Angel

Well-Known Membrane
Is this summat to worry about or just a shit app?

No visual alert.
No message.
No nowt.

Just a noise at random intervals.
Sometimes a few times a day, sometimes nowt for a week.

I have Sophos installed and a VPN so am not mad worried, yet :hmm:

If it's an android phone then it could be Gmail alerts
Nah - it'd never stop if it was that.
This only happens now and then and completely at random. Plus there would be a visual alert of some sort for that iirc.
Had them on when I got my first Droid in 2014 and switched them off in the first 30 minutes.

Is this summat to worry about or just a shit app?

No visual alert.
No message.
No nowt.

Just a noise at random intervals.
Sometimes a few times a day, sometimes nowt for a week.

I have Sophos installed and a VPN so am not mad worried, yet :hmm:

I ask this Q because I am loathe to do a factory reset and reinstall apps one at a time to find out.

Can you not disable app by app rather than factory reset and reinstalling app by app?

(haven't really got a phone so I don't know)

Some apps make an alert noise when there's an update, or when they want you to do / buy something.

May be a case of going in to settings and turning alerts off. Doing a factory reset will make some of them re-set to default which includes alerts.

I'm still steadily turning them off on the phone I got last month...

Can you not disable app by app rather than factory reset and reinstalling app by app?

(haven't really got a phone so I don't know)
It would need to be happening every day or a few times a day for me to be able to track it down/notice.

It hasn't made this noise for around 48 hours at the moment.

Is there something like the equivalent of Window's Event Viewer in Android does anyone know? That way I can hear the noise and then look at that log.

Have you got the voice search switched-on in Google? That is always giving me annoying pings and pops when it kicks-in at various times, despite the phone being set to silent/vibrate.

Then there are the buzzes when the other types of alert come through.

Some apps make an alert noise when there's an update, or when they want you to do / buy something.

May be a case of going in to settings and turning alerts off. Doing a factory reset will make some of them re-set to default which includes alerts.

I'm still steadily turning them off on the phone I got last month...
But they tell you about way too, no?
They don't just make a noise. There's an alert too. That's the annoying bit and why I haven't a clue what's causing it. Just a noise. No other indicator.

Have you got the voice search switched-on in Google? That is always giving me annoying pings and pops when it kicks-in at various times, despite the phone being set to silent/vibrate.

Then there are the buzzes when the other types of alert come through.
Yes, but it isn't that or it'd have been doing this for 2 years, which it hasn't.

Does the notifications log show anything? Go to "App Notifications" (from the Notifications Settings page) and sort by Most Recent.

Or do you have any apps that have a permanent presence on the notifications page, like Samsung Health showing the step count (so they don't indicate all events/notifications).

One last thing, it doesn't coincide with voicemails? They can be overzealous with notifications ime.

Back
Top Bottom