Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My Amsterdam holiday got cancelled. So I took photos of a snowy Luton Airport Parkway instead

editor

hiraethified
Shit day today. So I posted this:

luton-airport-parkway-01.jpg

luton-airport-parkway-07.jpg

My Amsterdam flight was cancelled. So here’s some photos of a snowy Luton Airport Parkway instead

OH was going over tomorrow for work, got cancelled as you might expect. At least she didn't have to suffer the indignity of Luton Airport Parkway.

OH was going over tomorrow for work, got cancelled as you might expect. At least she didn't have to suffer the indignity of Luton Airport Parkway.
Easyjet didn't trouble themselves to tell me that the flight was cancelled until after its supposed take off time. Until then, they were still advising travellers to check in.

It is a singularly shit soul destroying airport, especially the bit where you have to pay extra to get on that bus that goes 1 mile an hour up the hill from the station to the airport.

So, why was editor flying to Amsterdam? It's just in range of Eurostar/Thalys to make trains a viable way of getting there in pretty much the same time as flying...
Oh, of course I tried to travel by rail. I kept trying every supposed offer and cheap deal that came up but no matter how I moved my dates around, it still worked out nearly ten times more expensive to travel by Eurostar.

Oh, of course I tried to travel by rail. I kept trying ever supposed offer and cheap deal that came up but no matter how I moved my dates around, it still worked out nearly ten times more expensive to travel by Eurostar.

The insanity of our world is that the train is nearly always more than the plane to Europe.

Sorry you missed out on your trip.

It is a singularly shit soul destroying airport, especially the bit where you have to pay extra to get on that bus that goes 1 mile an hour up the hill from the station to the airport.

That fucking bus that will sit their and wait until it is utterly beyond packed full and crawl along as it's not powerful enough to haul everyone and their luggage rather then just doing two fucking runs. I'm getting angry just thinking about it.

Luckily haven't had to use Luton in a while but it really is a grim airport.

The insanity of our world is that the train is nearly always more than the plane to Europe.

Sorry you missed out on your trip.
I don't mind paying more. Double, maybe even triple the cost is worth it for the fact that I'm not having to suffer a shitty airline/airport and I'm doing a microscopic bit for the environment. But when you're looking at figures around £300 for the relatively short haul to Amsterdam, I'm out.

I don't mind paying more. Double, maybe even triple the cost is worth it for the fact that I'm not having to suffer a shitty airline/airport and I'm doing a microscopic bit for the environment. But when you're looking at figures around £300 for the relatively short haul to Amsterdam, I'm out.
That's ridiculous! Sorry you missed your trip :(

For the last few years I've been using the coach for trips to Western Europe (France, Belgium and Holland). Mainly it's for financial reasons - £30 return last minute in high season is doable - but I've warmed to it tbh. Amsterdam is about as far as I'd go by coach - but it's not too bad.

Best is to do it during the day, if you work remotely it's just like spending the day in an office with a nice changing view - I think all the busses that ply the route will give you wifi and a plug socket and the whole journey on modern busses on smooth motorways is really quite painless (except for the first hour and a half crawling through South London :rolleyes:)

Overnight is a bit of a chore and you're going to arrive feeling pretty shit so I avoid that now if at all possible and get an early morning bus.

It's a shame that a lot of the coaches go via Eurotunnel now as the boat, while taking a little longer breaks the journey really nicely and makes the whole journey a lot more pleasant.

For the last few years I've been using the coach for trips to Western Europe (France, Belgium and Holland). Mainly it's for financial reasons - £30 return last minute in high season is doable - but I've warmed to it tbh. Amsterdam is about as far as I'd go by coach - but it's not too bad.

Best is to do it during the day, if you work remotely it's just like spending the day in an office with a nice changing view - I think all the busses that ply the route will give you wifi and a plug socket and the whole journey on modern busses on smooth motorways is really quite painless (except for the first hour and a half crawling through South London :rolleyes:)

Overnight is a bit of a chore and you're going to arrive feeling pretty shit so I avoid that now if at all possible and get an early morning bus.

It's a shame that a lot of the coaches go via Eurotunnel now as the boat, while taking a little longer breaks the journey really nicely and makes the whole journey a lot more pleasant.
the ferry is the best bit

We've been trying to book tickets on that snow train from St Pancras to the The Alps. Even worse than the cost is the nightmare of their website. I just get 'no trains on your dates' messages regardless of what dates I put in and no information on how to find trains. Has the service packed-up and no one's bothered to tell Eurostar's webmaster?

We've been trying to book tickets on that snow train from St Pancras to the The Alps. Even worse than the cost is the nightmare of their website. I just get 'no trains on your dates' messages regardless of what dates I put in and no information on how to find trains. Has the service packed-up and no one's bothered to tell Eurostar's webmaster?

Booking that and their Marseille trains is a nightmare. Also the snow train doesn’t appeal to me, either overnight in a seat or a day train and be pissed beyond words by the time you get there...

Also the snow train doesn’t appeal to me, either overnight in a seat or a day train and be pissed beyond words by the time you get there...
Me neither. A 10 hour overnight journey on a train is my idea of hell but the Mrs fancied it. Fortunately the difficulty in booking and the difference in cost (flights are £80 return, train is nearly £240 return) have nished it.

That fucking bus that will sit their and wait until it is utterly beyond packed full and crawl along as it's not powerful enough to haul everyone and their luggage rather then just doing two fucking runs. I'm getting angry just thinking about it.

Luckily haven't had to use Luton in a while but it really is a grim airport.

The combo of a price gouging bus trip, plus the further charge for the shitty regulation sized (and mandatory) liquids bag (free at every other civilised airport) = :mad::mad::mad:

I've actually got the easybus there a few times, if only to avoid the injustice of the bus ride:oops: Its not too bad, especially if during really quiet traffic times in London.

It was only going to be a two night trip so spending a total of 24 hours on a coach there and back would be a bit of a buzzkill!

Back
Top Bottom