Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Munich

D'wards

IT'S YOUR DECISION DANIEL
Just got back from this - thought it was enjoyable though seemed long.

The subject was handled well - the Israelies carried out the assasinations with cold efficiency but had pangs of conscience as to whether it was revenge of prevention, and the justifications of it all.

The Palastinians were portrayed quite well - not screaming "Team America" style banshees, but intelligent and polite men motivated by a worthy agrievement.

Anyone else seen this?

(I have a feeling i'm gonna get pulled apart by pro-Palestinians, but lets see)

I thought it was dull and at least an hour too long. It was like being preached to for nearly 3 hours and I had my head in my hands when the Twin Towers came up at the end.

Saw the trailer. Within 5 seconds Golda Meir is saying "every civilisation" talking about her country . . . 5 seconds in, and already Israel is a "civilisation".

But it's almost worth enduring just to see how he links Munich with 9/11. But only almost. Not my cup of tea.

Ranu said:
I thought it was dull and at least an hour too long. It was like being preached to for nearly 3 hours and I had my head in my hands when the Twin Towers came up at the end.

Thanks for telling me it's three hours. Was gonna go and see it. Will now make do with the moody DVD I bought off a guy in the pub.

i thought it was v.disappointing....started off excellent, i was literally on the edge of my seat. but the ending was so dragged out & up it's own arse that I left the cinema really annoyed. it had huge potential but was about 45 mins too long...why do directors think they need to make films 3 hours long for them to be any good?

the last 45 minutes was drivellous muck & half the cinema were asleep.

it was very romanticised too - all the pangs of conscience etc were complete bollox. in reality those mossad agents were working for their god & their country & have absolutely no remorse whatsoever.

the only good thing was that it quite plainly illustrated the futility of all the violence.... the realisation that for every person they killed, there would be a replacement - so it was a waste of time & life.

London_Calling said:
Saw the trailer. Within 5 seconds Golda Meir is saying "every civilisation" talking about her country . . . 5 seconds in, and already Israel is a "civilisation".

Haven't seen it yet.... but isn't that exactly how you would expect any Israeli premier to describe themselves, part of their rationale for ignoring world opinion, un-civilising (not sure that's a word...) the arab nations and therefore oppressing palestinians...

..... not far away for the 'justification' that the UK used for the slave trade...

I hated it... why does spielberg insist on preaching to his audience.

Look away now if you haven't seen it....
the scene at the end where the guy is shagging his wife was just too much. I shoulda seen the Johnny Cash bio instead.

NOT reccommended!

London_Calling said:

But it's almost worth enduring just to see how he links Munich with 9/11. But only almost. Not my cup of tea.

He doesn't actually link it at all - they are just in New York at one point and the skyline has the twin towers still there right in the background - thats all.

pinky said:
it was very romanticised too - all the pangs of conscience etc were complete bollox. in reality those mossad agents were working for their god & their country & have absolutely no remorse whatsoever.
Is this a fact and you know this because you work for Mossad or have you just made it up on the basis that assassins cannot be human beings and couldn't potentially have misgivings about what they have done?

Maltin said:
Is this a fact and you know this because you work for Mossad or have you just made it up on the basis that assassins cannot be human beings and couldn't potentially have misgivings about what they have done?

I agree - how can anyone know if the assassins had pangs of conscience or not?

Oh sorry, i forgot - all Israelies are murdering remorseless balls of hate. Thats the general concensus innit :rolleyes:

Leica said:
Does anyone know if it's a remake of the Sword of Gideon?
According to IMDB, it's based on the same novel, however, I doubt that this makes it a remake.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen the TV movie (nor read the book) to say how similar they are.

They sound very similar. I've seen the Sword of Gideon, and I'm trying to make my mind up whether it's worth seeing Munich.

Leica said:
They sound very similar. I've seen the Sword of Gideon, and I'm trying to make my mind up whether it's worth seeing Munich.
As you seem to like film, I would suggest that you see it; assuming that you can afford it and do not have anything better to do.

I was disappointed that it wasn't as involving as I hoped it would be, however, I was interested throughout and because of Spielberg and those he can afford to surround himself with, it is above average filmmaking.

I'm sure that the TV movie covers the same ground, however, it would be interesting to hear from you, if you do see it, to compare the two.

Thank you for your thoughts. If I do go, I will report back on the comparison. I want to see Hidden first.

Maltin said:

well the documentary on channel 4 this week had the actual assassins speaking about their actions & they didnt feel they had actually done anything wrong, they saw it as a job & nothing more

D'wards said:
sorry, i forgot - all Israelies are murdering remorseless balls of hate. Thats the general concensus innit :rolleyes:

and no, that's not my concensus, i've met some israelis who hate what their country is doing. i dont consider myself that stupid

D'wards said:
I agree - how can anyone know if the assassins had pangs of conscience or not?

Oh sorry, i forgot - all Israelies are murdering remorseless balls of hate. Thats the general concensus innit :rolleyes:

You obviously missed the documentary on C4 last week where the assassins said they were just doing a job and had no pangs of conscience.

Pull yourself out of your arse :rolleyes:

Ranu said:
You obviously missed the documentary on C4 last week where the assassins said they were just doing a job and had no pangs of conscience.

Pull yourself out of your arse :rolleyes:

i thank you

*kneels and kissed your feet*

D'wards said:
He doesn't actually link it at all - they are just in New York at one point and the skyline has the twin towers still there right in the background - thats all.
It was blatant! The final shot of a film saturated with violence against Arabs, and it tracks up to the New York skyline, the towers prominently featured - and of course intentionally added in post-production - and then the credits roll. It's the most blatant piece of direction I've ever seen.

It reminded me of the murder in The Godfather - the 'leave the gun, take the cannolli' one - which takes place with the Statue of Liberty inconspicuously but unmistakably on the horizon, as if to say 'THERE'S your American Dream, a fucking bullet in the back of the head'.

lostexpectation said:
when they gonna make a film that shows wht 9/11 was a response to?

There is another political thriller coming out soon called Syriana which goes into some of the reasons for 9/11.

I also found Munich at times uninvolving and too long, but it has some great individual sequences and I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. Politically the film is reasonably even handed and at least it's an attempt at a serious political thriller. I also liked the gritty feel and look that reminded me of early 70's thrillers like the French Connection.

I had no problem with the shot of the Twin Towers and don't understand why people are getting on their high horse over it. After all 9/11 is why the film got made and after War Of The Worlds, Munich is the second film in a year Spielberg has made that acts as a direct comment on 9/11. Whether it is "blatant" as somebody said is besides the point. It just links what was the event that marked the beginning of modern terrorism in the West to the recent past and how terrorism is politically shaping the present. To have the World Trade Centre in the background (as it would have been in New York from so many location then) in the last scene was rather chilling.

The the one scene I had a real problem with was the inter cutting between the sex scene and the last flashback to the kidnapping. Apart from that the sex Eric Bana has with his wife could be straight out of Flashdance, with all the sweat flying everywhere, the juxtaposition with the murders just struck me as tasteless.

Went to see this last night. Well made, stylish, typical Spielberg and as expected I felt there was a definite pro-Israel bias to the whole film. All the events were viewed through Israeli eyes so even when there was some attempt to offer a palestinian viewpoint, in the 'safe house', it was still filtered through a pro-Israel bias. Also still left confused about the French connection - "we don't sell information to governments"

Back
Top Bottom