Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mrs Brown's Boys

krtek a houby

Against all gods
Oh dear

Tldr?

BOCs sense of "humour" may be too much, even for fans of the show.

Basically, he allegedly used a racial slur during recording. Recording was halted and an investigation is in progress.

Apologies for the link, the site is very advertising heavy.

Last edited:
Purify it with fire then bury it in an abandoned mine shaft.
Never let it see the light of day ever again.

There are numerous news reports. But it's all very curious. They say it was a clumsy joke in which a racial slur was 'implied'. What exactly did he say? I hate it when the media go all coy about the wording when things like this happen, although here the information might not have been made available to them. But it could be the difference between 'a bit unfortunate, might be funny in a different context' and 'are you really such a shitty racist cunt?'

Difficult to say, I should edit the post to say "alleged".

His brand of comedy never appealed, tbh, but he didn't strike as the sort of person who would go there.

His family is interesting, his mother was a Labour activist and grand father and an uncle were in the Rising.

I hate loathe detest and abhor Mrs Brown’s Boys so much.

I hate it so much I couldn’t get through a single episode (when I tried, to see what it was).
I hate it so much I don’t even like seeing photos of “Mrs Brown”.

I’m not sure why it gives me the rage.

Remember Bread (which was pretty good when it started)? That sitcom with the Liverpudlian mum at the top of the kitchen table? I have a notion (without ever having watched MBB) that’s it’s along those lines? And it makes me think about that shit fake sitcom in Ricky Gervaise’s Extras. But more shit. I also hate how the whole thing rests on the HILARIOUS cross dressing thing.

When I saw this story in the OP I was delighted. Because I hate him and want him off the screen and out of the world. But yeah, the stupid coyness in the reports is annoying. It’s being dressed up as a non-story, nothing to see here, move along etc. If someone was insulted enough to object to the insinuation then it’s either someone being unnecessarily sensitive, or it really was out of order and needs to be addressed. The latter is far more likely,

As a licence fee payer (yes I choose to pay the licence) I have a right to know wtf is going on inside the BBC. Especially after all the other hidden stuff.

As someone else said, I wasn’t in the least bit surprised by the suggestion that he’s racist. I also expect him to be homophobic, misogynistic and all the rest. (although I accept that might be because I fucking hate him so much. See also that Keith Lemon bloke.)

Unusual for the bbc to take that attitude :hmm:
Christmas ratings wars?
Dunno

fuck the BBC, totally pc when they want after supporting the perverted cunts they have for decades. I hate the programme (mrs browns boys) and I hope he goes to ITV and fucks the beeb off. Did he do it? how can we know if we cannot even be told the truth or be furnished with the facts.

I watch the MBB Christmas special each year with my mum even though neither if us like it but it's usually better than the Give My Head Peace Christmas special.

There are numerous news reports. But it's all very curious. They say it was a clumsy joke in which a racial slur was 'implied'. What exactly did he say? I hate it when the media go all coy
"It's been reported that the Irish comic 'implied' the N-word during rehearsals for the BBC comedy's upcoming Christmas special. O'Carroll, in character during a script read-through, is said to have quipped: "I don’t call a spade a spade, I call a spade a N-..."

The Daily Mail claims the actor then started to utter the N-word before he was stopped by a co-star also in character. In a statement shared with the publication on Tuesday night, a representative for O'Carroll said: "We would also like to clarify that the “n” word was absolutely not spoken, it was implied. Agnes (Mrs Brown) began the word but was stopped from finishing it by her daughter Cathy, as she knew she would be."

Last edited:
Edgy and not in the funny sense.

Still find it amazing that the Mrs Brown franchisee has been going on since over 30 years. We used to hear it on the radio. And, iirc, the theme music was borrowed from an Ennio Morricone soundtrack. Possibly Once Upon a Time in America?

It's been suggested that he is basically playing an exaggerated version his late mother, Maureen, and that her death very much affected him and that's why he can't let go of her character.

I don't know about that. Maybe he doesn't let go of the character because it's lucrative.

When it comes to long running characters, prefer Partridge or the Little Tramp. Because they were actually funny.

Theres humour to be found in mocking and belittling racists, but my impression having never seen the show for more than a few seconds is that MRs Brown is the loveable central character....so boosting loveable racist old woman trope is obviously excusing and normalising racism....
To have even considered writing this joke into a script is fucked up.

It's been suggested that he is basically playing an exaggerated version his late mother, Maureen, and that her death very much affected him and that's why he can't let go of her character.

oh shit.png

"It's been reported that the Irish comic 'implied' the N-word during rehearsals for the BBC comedy's upcoming Christmas special. O'Carroll, in character during a script read-through, is said to have quipped: "I don’t call a spade a spade, I call a spade a..."

The Daily Mail claims the actor then started to utter the N-word before he was stopped by a co-star also in character. In a statement shared with the publication on Tuesday night, a representative for O'Carroll said: "We would also like to clarify that the “n” word was absolutely not spoken, it was implied. Agnes (Mrs Brown) began the word but was stopped from finishing it by her daughter Cathy, as she knew she would be."
Jesus. In 2024. An “it’s funny to nearly drop an N bomb” gag. Fuck sake.

It's unbearably awful and woefully unfunny and yet TV bosses keep financing it.
cant argue with what the people want and like - its recommissioned because so many people choose to watch it

in particular there a lot of old people sitting out there infront of tv sets not doing much - its a generational thing to a certain extent i expect, and that generation watch more tv

cant argue with what the people want and like - its recommissioned because so many people choose to watch it

in particular there a lot of old people sitting out there infront of tv sets not doing much - its a generational thing to a certain extent i expect, and that generation watch more tv

tis a generational thing in my house folks went to school with the fella. it played out that it biggest problem needs to be killed off due to that

early on had some fun with the observation of a certain type of Dublin mammy but well over done

he always been obsessed with his mother kind as he did a fair less over the top story about his mother called Agnus brown starting angelica Huston about 25 years ago

still surprised about the joke is know for swearing and broad humour but not the race baiting shite

and not what you expect from. the fella with his mom and sister activist pasts

Last edited:
This. How is fucking 'spade' being used in 'humour' in 2024.
It’s so fucking ante diluvian. I read a thing saying “there's a certain section of the audience that feels disenfranchised by modern comedy”. Which I think is code for “me and the boys from the golf club still want to be offensive and you’re oppressing us”.

Back
Top Bottom