Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Movies you didn't see

platinumsage

HaveMyPassword123
The Banshees of Inisherin - two tedious actors team up with the same director that made that tedious film In Bruges with them a few years ago.

So I watched the trailer anyway - wow, what a load of tedious drivel :D

I quite like In Bruges, but there's been loads of films I've never seen. Has anyone seen Pontypool? I haven't.

I didn't go to the cinema from 1981 to 1992 (i.e. from age 11 to 21) except to see Ghostbusters in 1984. Didn't rent videos either, so I never saw Raiders of the Lost Ark, ET, Back to the Future, The Goonies and all those other films everyone from my generation goes on about. I did finally watch Back to the Future at the local cinema kids club with my daughter when she was younger. I thought it was shite.

Most of them these days.

When I was a student, we had a "cinema club" and for most of my years there, I would go to see the current film about one week in three - although I would be there more often as, sometimes, I helped as an usher / crowd control / bouncer [non-students were usually persona non-grata].
A few years after that, I stopped going to the cinema as it was often too thick with cigarette smoke for my comfort.
I must have got out of the habit as even after the smoking ban, I rarely went to the cinema.
Since covid, not been once.

Might also because I watch stuff at home, well after release.
But a lot of what's about these days doesn't interest me enough.

What are some Halloweeny films that people haven't seen? I definitely haven't seen the Babadook, Hereditary, Midsommar, The Witch, or Us. Or Peele's new one that I can't remember the name of. I think I've never seen a Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street film either, unless I have and forgot. I reckon I may have seen Scary Movie 2, though?

I’ve never seen Terminator.

But I like the look of that film in the OP.

Actually there are loads and loads of films I’ve never seen. But I have seen the Babadook.

Recently watched Wrath of Man and would highly recommend.

Never watched any of the Batman series.
There's an animated batman film you might like, 'Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders'. An homage to the original tv series, batman is voiced by Adam West shortly before he died. So no batman crippling low level henchmen in grimy alleys or any of that, just Bam! Pow! etc. Utility belt.

I should have posted Ticket to Paradise, a dull caper featuring George Clooney and Julia Roberts playing a divorced couple trying to stop their daughter marrying a seaweed farmer in Bali, but it’s too late now :(

The Banshees of Inisherin - two tedious actors team up with the same director that made that tedious film In Bruges with them a few years ago.

It was OK. I thought it would be funnier and there were some irritating continuity errors. I enjoy films that drag a bit so that was a plus.

Having actually seen it, thought it was very funny and bleak and definitely worth a watch.

Last edited:
I didn't go to the cinema from 1981 to 1992 (i.e. from age 11 to 21) except to see Ghostbusters in 1984. Didn't rent videos either, so I never saw Raiders of the Lost Ark, ET, Back to the Future, The Goonies and all those other films everyone from my generation goes on about. I did finally watch Back to the Future at the local cinema kids club with my daughter when she was younger. I thought it was shite.
Right. The Goonies. Not only have I never seen it, I don't remember it from the era either. I don't remember it being advertised or hyped or promoted, and I don't remember any word of mouth about it.

What gives with the alleged cult status of this one?

Right. The Goonies. Not only have I never seen it, I don't remember it from the era either. I don't remember it being advertised or hyped or promoted, and I don't remember any word of mouth about it.

What gives with the alleged cult status of this one?
In Spain it wasn’t nearly as iconic as the likes of Ghostbusters or ET, but it was still popular, and most people of my (and I guess your) generation would describe it nowadays as an 80s classic if you asked them. I guess it’s the kind of film many of us will happily watch again and again of a Sunday afternoon if you come across it on the telly and there’s nothing new that particularly appeals.

I can't even begin to dream of listing the films I've not seen; my performance on apparently obvious/popular films in the Framed thread should be enough evidence for that. I've only got a limited amount of time, and I avoid advertising like the plague, so I'll generally only watch films for which I've received a recommendation that makes it sound like they seem watchable and interesting. I dare say there's hundreds of supposedly essential viewing I've never even heard of.

(I've got a personal collection - as in ones that I've bought on disc - of about 2500 films, so I don't like to think I'm entirely ill-informed in these matters, I just might have somewhat entirely personal tastes)

I quite like In Bruges, but there's been loads of films I've never seen. Has anyone seen Pontypool? I haven't.

I have seen Pontypool. It's an interesting take on the zombie apocalypse. Quaffable, but far from transcendent.

In Bruges remains one of my favourite films; probably the best tragicomdey I've seen since Withnail & I.

What are some Halloweeny films that people haven't seen? I definitely haven't seen the Babadook, Hereditary, Midsommar, The Witch, or Us. Or Peele's new one that I can't remember the name of. I think I've never seen a Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street film either, unless I have and forgot. I reckon I may have seen Scary Movie 2, though?

I'd put The Witch as one of the best horrors of the 21st century TBH (Robert Eggers hasn't put a foot wrong yet IMHO). Midsommar was decent but overrated, a by-the-numbers attempt at The Wicker Man elevated by yet another thoroughly excellent performance from Florence Pugh.

You’re missing out :)

I have never seen Titanic

I watched several times, but never really understood the reverence people heap upon the Godather franchise. They are, however, a far superior use of one's time than the pile of shite that is Titanic; I had the misfortune of being dragged to that three times. I've a personal verging-on-hatred for films that take on an actual historical tragedy and then layer on an artificial tragedy on top solely for cinematic shmaltz (Spielberg probably being the biggest perpetrator of such in my lifetime). If you have to watch anything about the Titanic, watch A Night to Remember and have your co-watchers remark on how many scenes from that were reproduced from that in Cameron's debacle to far less dramatic and emotional effect.

Back
Top Bottom