Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Moved to super fast fibre broadband but pages loading slowly

editor

hiraethified
So this is a curious one. I've switched to Community Fibre and the broadband speed test shows I'm going blazingly fast.

But then I go to a new web page or click on an embedded YouTube there seems to be a distinct lag. Once I'm on the site, things seem OK.

I've moved over from BT. Could this be a proxy thing? Or DNS? I've rebooted everything.

I've looked at these pages but not changed anything yet

That sounds to me like it could be a caching issue at the isp. Do you have vpn you can use to see if that make the problem either go away or act differently?

Reactions: bmd
So this is a curious one. I've switched to Community Fibre and the broadband speed test shows I'm going blazingly fast.

But then I go to a new web page or click on an embedded YouTube there seems to be a distinct lag. Once I'm on the site, things seem OK.

I've moved over from BT. Could this be a proxy thing? Or DNS? I've rebooted everything.

I've looked at these pages but not changed anything yet

Windows 10 is just so yesterday.

Could you temporarily use your phone to be a WiFi hotspot and connect your computer with that? Then see if that effects anything?

setup a hotspot on the phone and test, also login to the router and poke around and switch off any ipv6 setting.

Is there a windows update going on in the background?

Have you scanned for malware (Norton hitman pro is better than mwb) and used a cache cleaner like ccleaner (but not ccleaner)

Is it the same with all web browsers?

Have you manually tried setting a known good DNS server on your Windows machine?

This could help rule out that as an issue?

Are pages loading slowly on other devices on your network?
Could you recommend a good DNS server and how I can change the settings?

It's still jumping from super fast to slow, but it seems to be only on my Windows machine (I'll do a proper test on my laptop tomorrow).

Are you using the CF Velop router, or your own?

Basically, it's better to let your router do the DNS caching for a more consistent experience across devices, but the setting is well hidden on the router they give you. Personally, I find Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 faster than Google's 8.8.8.8, but they should be much of a muchness and I put in both anyhow.

I've had a great experience with CF so far - have you tried their support?

Last edited:
Cheers. I might have a bash tomorrow. Something is definitely up since I switched over from my BT router. Just that wiki link took 3 seconds to appear.

I'd be tempted to try on the PC first and if it makes a difference, then set it on the router.

Hmmm, I've changed my pi-hole dns from cloudflare to Quad9 (Quad9 (filtered, DNSSEC)and it has seemed to have sped up my page response times noticeably.

Back
Top Bottom