Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mistakenly not paid Council Tax since April...

steveo87

22/11/2022 - got a maths joke.
...just how fucked am I?

So, we've just come back from a week away with a Summons (for me and Mrs 87), because of unpaid council tax.
I've going on my banking and my the council website (North Somerset, if that counts for anything), to find I've not paid since we moved in.

Now I distinctly remember filling out the (moving house) bit, sat on the sofa I'm currently sitting on - in the new house. But I can't find a record of it, when I went on my council profile it still had my old address, I've changed it now.

Are, and I kind if know the answer to this already but I'm hoping dear U75 that you know something I don't, the council going to be the least bit understanding that their system is a bag shite, or are they going to see me as some lazy want away waster, who had a child out of wedlock?

You'll be fine.

Phone them on Monday, offer to pay in a way that suits your budget. It happens all the time for many and varied reasons.

Ask if they are behind with paperwork due to COVID. We are. Over a month in some departments.

Put it on them,. You haven't been taking my payments, why not? But politely, please.

I would imagine calling them, engaging, making a payment on the day will be all you need to do to get the issue resolved.

I forgot to pay for 4 months last year - I took my wife off the bill when she left and I never set up a new direct debit. I too got a letter and it was resolved ASAP.

I had to phone on Monday because I'd received a summons - I owed last years and although they hadn't sent me a reminder about that, because I was paying amounts that didn't match the "pay this much by this date" on this years bill, it had automatically gone towards last years - hence I ended up with a summons for this years even though I'd been paying (more than was due each month).

Anyway the bloke I spoke to was really understanding and helpful, and we quickly made a payment arrangement that suited me - I'd got really worked up and tearful/anxious about it (financial stuff gives me the fear because we're in a terrible state financially) but it was easily sorted.

So yeah, give the council a ring on Monday.

Back
Top Bottom