Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mimi Parker (Low) has died

redsquirrel

This Machine Kills Progressives
Fuck just seen this, only 55 :(

A consistently excellent band, my personal favourites are Things we Lost in the Fire, Trust and The Great Destroyer but their whole discography was top, including EPs, live albums and compilations. And Mimi was great all the three times I've seen them live.

Mr K has just told me :( Absolutely gutted. A superlative singer, drummer, songwriter from one of my very favourite bands across the ages. Their music has got me through so many times of all kinds.

Godspeed, Mimi. Poor Alan :(

My mate just texted me with this news. Absolutely gutted. Hard to put into words how much Low's music has meant to me over the years. Such an incredible band. So glad I got to see them one last time a few months ago when, as usual, Alan and Mimi were absolutely magnificent.

Rest in Peace Mimi.

Gutted , just heard, one of my fave bands , so glad I saw them live a few times, including a gig in Hackney !

RIP 😢

I love Low. Among many other great tunes, their Christmas album, along with the Phil Spector one is the soundtrack to my yuletide.

Shittest news. Probably a band I’ve seen in the most places outside of touring with people, Leeds, Halifax, Manchester, Barbican, Barcelona. Always mesmerising. Like a warm hug, I’m going to miss those euphoric lows. Fuck cancer. Hope Alan is OK.

Shittest news. Probably a band I’ve seen in the most places outside of touring with people, Leeds, Halifax, Manchester, Barbican, Barcelona. Always mesmerising. Like a warm hug, I’m going to miss those euphoric lows. Fuck cancer. Hope Alan is OK.

I'll miss them hugely too. The first album I bought was The Curtain Hits the Cast in 1996 when I was 18... it blew me away and they continued to do so for the next almost three decades. There's no other band who been such a consistent part of my life...

Do you have a link? Would love to listen.
It'll be on the blog at some point. Meanwhile the other Lazy Sunday mixes are all gorgeous. Last week's was a beauty.

eta the Mimi special is on there now

Last edited:
I've been going down the Low rabbit-hole - discovering bits and pieces that I've not heard.

This cover of Toto's Africa really made me smile:

Alan and Mimi certainly knew how to deliver a cover - I'd somehow missed their cover of Transmission:

And their cover of Knocking on Heaven's Door is rather lovely:

this tribute from Low's former bassist Zak Sally is a real wounder

Bump.

I found out a while ago, but

fuck:(

This band and the vocals of Mimi, in particularly, have saved me from allsorts of drug induced head-fuckery, paranoia, flat out psychosis, WDs.....

By always conecentrating especially hard on the music, quiet as possible with headphones... I know people talk about music being like lullabies,,, but yeh music as mental guardrails, it worked last time so will work this time.

A lifetime of temporary relief. :cool: Thanks your music will always be part of me.

Bump.

I found out a while ago, but

fuck:(

This band and the vocals of Mimi, in particularly, have saved me from allsorts of drug induced head-fuckery, paranoia, flat out psychosis, WDs.....

By always conecentrating especially hard on the music, quiet as possible with headphones... I know people talk about music being like lullabies,,, but yeh music as mental guardrails, it worked last time so will work this time.

A lifetime of temporary relief. :cool: Thanks your music will always be part of me.
I can relate to this, I get hooked on a genre or a band when I've got a lot of tough shit going on in my life and/or a lot of work to get through. Low is one of those bands.

Back
Top Bottom